Bindings

Old January 5th 08, 06:23 PM posted to rec.skiing.snowboard
Bas Mevissen[_2_]

Default Bindings

On Fri, 04 Jan 2008 10:08:52 -0500, Sean wrote:

I liked my K2's heelside move, but I'm much stronger going heel side
than toe side. It's kind of a strange feeling - while heel side, I have
no problem getting the edge to work for me putting down a nice, narrow
line in the snow. Toe side, on the other hand, I feel like I am about
to launch off the mountain with much less control. Something to work on
this year.

That's quite unusual. Everybody I heared about it, has more problems with
heel side pressure than toe side.

Maybe you can have someone take a short film of you when carving. I think
that someone knowledgeable about boarding will immediately see the problem.

--
Bas.
Old January 5th 08, 06:31 PM posted to rec.skiing.snowboard
Bas Mevissen[_2_]

On Thu, 03 Jan 2008 18:34:20 -0800, Sean wrote:

I have a Salomon Link with some older K2 Plasma 10 bindings that need to
be replaced. Do any of you have any suggestions for a replacement? I
freeride only and am looking for something that is a little forgiving
and not too rigid.

You could consider Wed'ze FR6 binding. Cheap but good. They also have a
FR9, but that one is designed for their FR9 board, which is very stiff.

I have looked at the Flow setup and like the in/out
design but I have heard that they do not collapse making travel a bit
tough.

For quick in/out bindings, I would recommend looking at the ones from K2.
Still the straps instead of the cap for more feel but with the easy in/out.

--
Bas.
Old January 6th 08, 06:19 AM posted to rec.skiing.snowboard
Sean

On Jan 5, 1:31*pm, Bas Mevissen
wrote:
On Thu, 03 Jan 2008 18:34:20 -0800, Sean wrote:
I have a Salomon Link with some older K2 Plasma 10 bindings that need to
be replaced. *Do any of you have any suggestions for a replacement? *I
freeride only and am looking for something that is a little forgiving
and not too rigid. *

You could consider Wed'ze FR6 binding. Cheap but good. They also have a
FR9, but that one is designed for their FR9 board, which is very stiff.

I have looked at the Flow setup and like the in/out
design but I have heard that they do not collapse making travel a bit
tough.

For quick in/out bindings, I would recommend looking at the ones from K2.
Still the straps instead of the cap for more feel but with the easy in/out..

--
Bas.

Thanks for the replies everyone. I took my boots to our local shop
hoping to kick the tires a bit on some of the various bindings that
have been discussed here. The shop actually took the effort to attach
a couple of them to boards for me and see how they felt with my
boots. I tried the Ride Spi's and Flow NXT....both felt great and fit
my Buton's well so I went ahead and took the plunge with the Flows.
The construction felt solid and there were not as many moving parts as
the Cinch. The cable/release system on the Flow highback seemed well
engineered - didn't look to be much opportunity for sheath chafing on
the cable. There is a bit of redundancy built in at the cable attach
points; if the inner screw backs out over the course of riding, there
is a secondary screw that will maintain the cable integrity. The
'powerstrap' felt nice on my feet; no pinching or awkward pressure
points that I sometimes felt with my conventional bindings at the
ratchets. I was also pleasantly suprised at the low amount of give at
the strap while moving back and forth. The single strap setup felt
sturdy and there was not any noticeable give when leaning toe or
heelside.

I know that performance is an unknown until I get some time on the
slopes, but I felt comfortable with the decision and look forward to
the new setup. I'll really know the performance after my first yard
sale .

Thanks again for everyone's input and experience. I'm heading west in
mid February and I'll post my thoughts on performance then.

Hope Ullr keeps up the December dump into 2008 for the midwest...

Sean
Old January 6th 08, 09:56 AM posted to rec.skiing.snowboard
Memascii

On Jan 6, 7:19 am, Sean wrote:
boots. I tried the Ride Spi's and Flow NXT....both felt great and fit
my Buton's well so I went ahead and took the plunge with the Flows.

Hi Sean,

So which NXTs did you go for, the FX, FS or AT?

I hope they work out for you!

Cheers.
Iain.
Old January 6th 08, 05:48 PM posted to rec.skiing.snowboard
Sean

On Jan 6, 4:56*am, Memascii wrote:
On Jan 6, 7:19 am, Sean wrote:

boots. *I tried the Ride Spi's and Flow NXT....both felt great and fit
my Buton's well so I went ahead and took the plunge with the Flows.

Hi Sean,

So which NXTs did you go for, the FX, FS or AT?

I hope they work out for you!

Cheers.
Iain.

Iain,

Well, courtesy of the insightful post explaining your thoughts on the
Cinch vs. Flow, perhaps the salesperson should send some pounds your
way.

I went with the AT's. The were in my budget....unlike the Flow Team,
which were noticeably lighter than any binding on the rack, but also
twice the price.

Thanks again for the help and and suggestions.

Sean
Old January 7th 08, 11:14 AM posted to rec.skiing.snowboard
Memascii

On Jan 6, 6:48 pm, Sean wrote:

Hi Sean,

I went with the AT's. The were in my budget....
unlike the Flow Team,

I read this today, hopefully your new bindings have come
with the fix already in place.

NXT Series "Front Pod" Upgrade

http://au.flow.com/index.php?option=...1&Item id=329

Enjoy.
Iain.
Old January 7th 08, 12:25 PM posted to rec.skiing.snowboard
Switters

On Fri, 04 Jan 2008 05:04:20 GMT, Sean allegedly
wrote:

Thanks for the reply, Joe. I was not sure if the highback would
collapse enough for safe transport on a plane, so you have answered my
question!

I put my boots into the bindings for packing. So I don't really care how
well they pack down or anything.

Where are you packing your boots?

- Dave.

http://www.vpas.org.uk/ - Snowboarding the worlds pow pow.
Donek Sasquatch 162, Prior Pow 181, Burton Canyon 162

The Snowboard FAQ lives here - http://www.vpas.fsnet.co.uk/rssFAQ/
Old January 7th 08, 04:09 PM posted to rec.skiing.snowboard
Sean[_2_]

. ..
wrote:

Thanks for the reply, Joe. I was not sure if the highback would
collapse enough for safe transport on a plane, so you have answered my
question!

I put my boots into the bindings for packing. So I don't really care how
well they pack down or anything.

Where are you packing your boots?

- Dave.

Hi Dave,

I was unsure if the the Flow highback would collapse forward, but they do.
I usually put my boots in my travel bag, between the bindings, not actually
*in* the bindings. I would think this would make my bag rather bulkly and
tall for airline handling.

Sean

Old January 7th 08, 04:16 PM posted to rec.skiing.snowboard
Sean[_2_]

"Memascii" wrote in message
On Jan 6, 6:48 pm, Sean wrote:

Hi Sean,

I went with the AT's. The were in my budget....
unlike the Flow Team,

I read this today, hopefully your new bindings have come
with the fix already in place.

NXT Series "Front Pod" Upgrade

http://au.flow.com/index.php?option=...1&Item id=329

Enjoy.
Iain.

Hi Iain,

I looked at my bindings and they look like a re-design from that setup shown
in the link above. Rather than a single screw that is set in a flange, it
is two screws, one on each side mating each other.

Maybe this is for older model NXT's? I didn't see a date reference on the
news bulletin nor a specific NXT model (AT, FX, FS).

Thanks for the information!

Sean