What one thing...

Old April 25th 04, 11:23 PM
Jeff Davis

Default What one thing...

In article ,
foot2foot wrote:
I'm starting to wonder if you're serious, or just playing
some sort of game, or *really* desperate for attention,
but anyway, that one thing would be:

It doesn't matter. This is Usenet News.
--
According to John Perry Barlow, "Jeff Davis is a truly gifted trouble-maker."

Old April 25th 04, 11:26 PM
Ahi

"Lisa Horton" wrote in message
If you could tell a beginning skier just one thing, just one piece of
advice, what would it be?

Lisa

Dress warm, with the correct clothing. Water resistant gloves, pants etc.
Good eye protection. Get your gearing up routine down. Don't forget
essential items. There are other good suggestions in this thread on socks,
thermal etc. Figure out what works for you. Remember, you are not
improving as long as you are sitting in the lodge warming up.

snoig

Old April 25th 04, 11:31 PM
Jeff Davis

In article ,
Lisa Horton wrote:
That part is real interesting, I'm slightly surprised at how important a
role the feet play, small movements, small weight shifts have an obvious
and pronounced effect.

Your feet should be telling you about muscles you didn't know you had down
there. Tipping the little toe is how I initate a turn. Repeating that
thousands of times in a day gets my feet talking to me.
--
According to John Perry Barlow, "Jeff Davis is a truly gifted trouble-maker."

Old April 25th 04, 11:37 PM
Jeff Davis

In article ,
The Real Bev wrote:

OK, but what about silk longjohns whose cuffs are too small to go up
over the calf? Is this just a learning device, or should you never wear
undies like that?

I don't wear underwear when I ski anymore. 5 years ago I got slammed by the
RSA fashion police over duofold union suits. Training for Denali, I did
some skiing in shorts. Mountain Hardwear Canyon Shorts to be specific. And
A Mountain Hardwear Power Stretch Zip T that Mountain Hardwear modifies
specifically for me with a locking zipper. I also wore a BCA Tracker
Avalanche Tranceiver and a Black Diamond ice pack with a shovel and probe
in it.

When one is skiing in shorts, *all* terrain is a no fall zone.
--
According to John Perry Barlow, "Jeff Davis is a truly gifted trouble-maker."

Old April 25th 04, 11:54 PM
The Real Bev

Jeff Davis wrote:

In article ,
The Real Bev wrote:

OK, but what about silk longjohns whose cuffs are too small to go up
over the calf? Is this just a learning device, or should you never wear
undies like that?

I don't wear underwear when I ski anymore.

Um, I think that's the rule for bicycling, not skiing.

5 years ago I got slammed by the
RSA fashion police over duofold union suits. Training for Denali, I did
some skiing in shorts. Mountain Hardwear Canyon Shorts to be specific. And
A Mountain Hardwear Power Stretch Zip T that Mountain Hardwear modifies
specifically for me with a locking zipper. I also wore a BCA Tracker
Avalanche Tranceiver and a Black Diamond ice pack with a shovel and probe
in it.

I realize you're independently wealthy, but have you ever considered a
career in product placement? It's probably not too late.

When one is skiing in shorts, *all* terrain is a no fall zone.

That's why I always wear a windbreaker over my T-shirt even if it's too
warm.

--
Cheers,
Bev
Old April 26th 04, 12:50 AM
Jeff Davis

In article ,
The Real Bev wrote:
Jeff Davis wrote:
I don't wear underwear when I ski anymore.

Um, I think that's the rule for bicycling, not skiing.

I tape a knee brace to my left knee. I like the fit a hell of a lot better
without a layer of polypro between it and my knee. When its zero and above,
I'm really comfortable in a pair of Mountain Hardwear Windstopper Tech Pants
with Mountain Hardwear FTX Ultra Gore Tex XCR Pants for an outer shell.
When its really warm in Jackson Hole, twenty above at altitude, I wear
shorts under the FTX Ultra Pants. And that's the rule for me, in Jackson
Hole, Wyoming.

I realize you're independently wealthy, but have you ever considered a
career in product placement? It's probably not too late.

I'd like to have Jimmy Chin shoot me for the Mountain Hardwear catalogue,
but he's on Everest right now with David Breashears shooting principle
photography for Universal Pictures. Appearantly they're shooting a film
of the 1996 climbing disaster there. You're right, I don't need the money.
I like supporting companies like Mountain Hardwear and Black Diamond
Equipment that are producing the most bomb proof robust gear on the
mountaineering market today. Breahears likes me because we're both
Wyoming natives. I got interested in Mountain Hardwear because they
sponsored him and Ed Viesturs on the Everest Imax Expedition.

I'm interested in the highest quality product available. That's why I
choose Mountain Hardwear, Black Diamond, Head, Marker, and Smith.
Mountian Hardwear is a small company that gives me exclusive service.
I bought a discontinued expedition tent from them while they had a couple
in stock. They had no Trango Assault footprints in stock however. The
footprint is a speciallized ground tarp made to fit the tent in question.
Mountain Hardwear dug up the pattern, and made me an exclusive Trango
Assault footprint. This cost me $42.00 insdtead of the $35.00 I would have
paid if they would have had one in stock.

That's quality and service worth supporting and publishing my satisfaction.
--
According to John Perry Barlow, "Jeff Davis is a truly gifted trouble-maker."

Old April 26th 04, 01:39 AM
FHemmer209

"pigo" wrote:

Lisa Horton wrote:

If you could tell a beginning skier just one thing, just one piece of
advice, what would it be?

Try to carve, not skid, the turns.

Fred

What about when you're NOT on the groomed?

Safe to assume that a beginner would be on groomed slopes.

Fred
Old April 26th 04, 01:43 AM
Lisa Horton

Alex Heney wrote:

On Sun, 25 Apr 2004 10:46:39 -0700, Lisa Horton
wrote:

"ski.no" wrote:

"Lisa Horton" skrev i melding
If you could tell a beginning skier just one thing, just one piece of
advice, what would it be?

I'm starting to wonder if you're serious, or just playing
some sort of game, or *really* desperate for attention,
but anyway, that one thing would be:

I'm serious. The question was open ended intentionally. I'm hoping for
things that would not be obvious for a beginner to look into, about any
aspect of skiing.

I've gone back over old post again though, and so I understand why
people here might be a bit skittish. I had no idea of the drama I was
walking into.

Or rather "skiing into". My best advice to a newbie skier? To get the right
and optimal equipment (skis, bindings, boots etc. ) for your particular
skill level. Any decent ski store should be able to give you some good
advice here, about what to buy, and equally important, what not to buy, as a
newbie. Good luck.

I didn't quite follow the conventional wisdom in buying my first set of
gear. Not much in the way of help at the local Any Mountain. I THINK I
got stuff that's pretty appropriate, especially the skis which are very
obviously easier for me to turn and control than the rental skis. At
least I got a good enough deal that if I need to replace/upgrade
anything within a year, I'm still not spending foolishly. I think

Sorry, but there is no such thing as skis that are appropriate for a
near complete beginner to buy.

In the early days, you are likely to improve so quickly that you will
need better skis before you have skied enough days on them to break
even with rental costs.

You really would almost certainly have been better to rent for your
first few weeks of skiing.

Such is conventional wisdom, I know. The rental boots weren't
comfortable at all, one pair actively hurt. For $100, I got a pair of
boots that holds my feet more securely and don't hurt at all. Feet not
hurting is worth something to me, as is more and better control. These
will pay for themselves quickly. But the value equation would have been
very different had I paid more than I did, just over 1/4 regular price.

With skis, of course you're right that I don't yet know enough to know
what I really want, much less be able to tell from a description or even
a demo at this point. OTOH, besides the convenience factor, which is
worth little but more than nothing, there's the learning benefit of
skiing on the same ski each time. By using the same ski I remove a
variable, so the same foot motion or weight shift should produce a
similar result each time, of course accounting for variable snow. I
anticipate keeping these skis for only a year or so probably. By then,
I should have a clue and should be able to benefit from trying various
demo skis. For $150, it's a relatively small indulgence.

At any rate, if I ski on this gear 10 times, it's paid for itself
compared to demo gear, and more than paid for itself compared to regular
rental gear. At that rate of payoff, I don't think I was overly spendy.

Note that I'm in no way challenging or disagreeing with what you said,
exactly. I just think I found an exception through ruthless bargain
hunting and priorities in learning and convenience. Or I could be just
plain wrong.

Lisa
Old April 26th 04, 01:48 AM
Lisa Horton

foot2foot wrote:

"Lisa Horton" wrote in message
If you could tell a beginning skier just one thing, just one piece of
advice, what would it be?

Lisa

I'm starting to wonder if you're serious, or just playing
some sort of game, or *really* desperate for attention,
but anyway, that one thing would be:

Keep your hands forward, elbows ahead of the body,
arms at least belly button high, at all times. As though
you're carrying a big beach ball. Hold the hands in this
position every second of the time you're skiing. It's the
number one problem most skiers have, beginner or not.
If your hands aren't forward, nothing will work.

I'm serious. The question was open ended intentionally. I'm hoping for
things that would not be obvious for a beginner to look into, about any
aspect of skiing.

Mileage is probably the single most important thing you can get.

Oh yeah, I'm right there for the sliding down the hill part

Lisa
Old April 26th 04, 02:04 AM
lal_truckee

Jeff Davis wrote:

Universal Pictures. Appearantly they're shooting a film
of the 1996 climbing disaster there.

I sure hope they're not doing Krakauer's self serving book that
slandered Boukreev. That jerk Krakauer had more experience than just
about anyone else on the mountain, excluding guides; and hid in his tent
when it was all going down. Then he had the nerve to slam Anatoli.