What one thing...

Old April 27th 04, 03:36 AM
Jeff Davis

Default What one thing...

In article ,
AstroPax wrote:

I agree. I own a BCA Tracker DTS myself. Fast and easy.

BCA 3, Ortovox 1...
--
According to John Perry Barlow, "Jeff Davis is a truly gifted trouble-maker."

Old April 27th 04, 03:44 AM
vern93

In article ,
(Jeff Davis) wrote:

In article ,
vern93 wrote:
It may just be me, but "Exum" sounds like a TERRIBLE name for a company
that leads folks through avalanche prone areas.

Glen Exum was a sax player who looked an awful lot like Errol Flynn.

Oh come on! Where are the product placements? "Whilst lounging about in
my custom-made purple velvet Mountain Hardware (tm) lounging pajamas and
custom tailored teal green Spyder (tm) smoking jacket and sipping a Red
Bull (tm) energy beverage - the refreshing choice of extreme, select,
elite avalanche crystal experts everywhere I'd like to point out that
Glen Exum looked a lot like Errol Flynn who favoured linen shirts, and
When we imagine the 19th-century American frontier, pushing beyond the
Mississippi and sending those long daring probes to California, we see
men in shirts made of homespun cotton or buckskin, just like in his
movies.

Men did wear those shirts. But if they had a choice, they wore linen.
The original American shirt was a linen shirt. It signified civilization
since Colonial days. There was something questionable about a man who
didn't have a linen shirt to his name. I think it is possible, just
possible, that if a man with blue eyes spent a long, long time in the
sun, studying the horizon, the blue of his eyes might fade to this color.

Should be some historical exposition at exumguides.com

There might be.

Dave
--
According to John Perry Barlow, "Jeff Davis is a truly gifted trouble-maker."

John Perry Barlow never met some of our "no longer regulars."

Old April 27th 04, 04:52 AM
klaus

Jeff Davis wrote:
In article ,
klaus wrote:
pigo wrote:
'Tis better to have and not need than need and not have.

That's debateable.

Yeah. I just got off the phone with Talkeetna Air Taxi. The only thing
I'm not taking up the hill with me is a change of clothes. I doubt I'll get
under 70 lbs. So I'll be paying the $50.00 overweight charge with Northwestern
to get my gear to Anchorage for 70 to 99.9 lbs of baggage. The only thing
I'm doubling up on is a stove.

Alpinism is the minimalist approach, right?

You're going to run out of single malt. Just a guess....
Wait...... wait a sec... You're expecting us to bring the scotch.. Hah!

-klaus

Old April 27th 04, 05:13 AM
klaus

Jeff Davis wrote:
the slide. Besides that, I like Edgerly. We discussed the BCA design
first hand after Hass' death. It's clearly superior.

Clearly?

Please explain. Should be easy being so clear. Please refrain from
proper nouns in your justification.

-klaus

Old April 27th 04, 06:03 AM
Jeff Davis

In article ,
vern93 wrote:

John Perry Barlow never met some of our "no longer regulars."

Oh. You're going to be one of those. Have a nice life.
--
According to John Perry Barlow, "Jeff Davis is a truly gifted trouble-maker."

Old April 27th 04, 06:12 AM
The Real Bev

Jeff Davis wrote:

In article ,
Lisa Horton wrote:
What I've been finding so far is that the motions of putting a ski on
edge still seem similar to how I remember skating. For me, it's
rolling and putting the weight on the one side (big toe side). I'm
pleased to be starting to be able to feel what's going on down there.

Fitting your boots with a half heel lift on the inside helps put your
weight bearing on the outside of your foot, (the pinky toe side). That
stabalizes your base and makes the edging easier. But you can't rent
fitted boots...

But you can buy gasket cork. Cuttable and gluable. Also,
unfortunately, breakable, but you can also buy duct tape.

--
Cheers,
Bev
Old April 27th 04, 06:15 AM
Jeff Davis

In article ,
Bob Lee wrote:
There it is. Of course I'll always go with what most of the people that
post to a given thread on Usenet do. So I'd better ask, how many of you
stop skiing when the lifts stop? This will help me plan my spring.

What is a lift?
--
According to John Perry Barlow, "Jeff Davis is a truly gifted trouble-maker."