Nominations for the Worst or most Bogus Skiing Scene in a HollywoodMovie

Old November 3rd 03, 11:26 AM
Joshua L. Segal

Default Nominations for the Worst or most Bogus Skiing Scene in a HollywoodMovie

There are many candidates for the best skiing scenes in Hollywood
movies.

I was just watching "Spellbound" (Alfred Hitchcock) featuring a young
Gregory Peck and Ingrid Bergman and I would like to nominate the skiing
scene in that movie as the worst and most bogus skiing scene ever in a
Hollywood movie.

Are there other nominees?

Aside to TCS: This could be a topic for one of your excellent
newsletters.

Skifully, Joshua Segal
Old November 3rd 03, 04:17 PM
Inger Skramstad Jørstad

"Joshua L. Segal" skrev i melding
There are many candidates for the best skiing scenes in Hollywood
movies.
I was just watching "Spellbound" (Alfred Hitchcock) featuring a young
Gregory Peck and Ingrid Bergman and I would like to nominate the skiing
scene in that movie as the worst and most bogus skiing scene ever in a
Hollywood movie.
Are there other nominees?

Oh yes, several James Bond 007 movies.

Old November 3rd 03, 04:46 PM
Joshua L. Segal

"Inger Skramstad J=F8rstad" wrote:
=

"Joshua L. Segal" skrev i melding
There are many candidates for the best skiing scenes in Hollywood
movies.
I was just watching "Spellbound" (Alfred Hitchcock) featuring a young=

Gregory Peck and Ingrid Bergman and I would like to nominate the skii=

ng
scene in that movie as the worst and most bogus skiing scene ever in =

Hollywood movie.
Are there other nominees?

=

Oh yes, several James Bond 007 movies.

Is that a nomination for good or worst? I thought that most of the
skiing in the Bond films was rather a lot of fun and showed some good
quality skiing.

Joshua Segal
Old November 3rd 03, 05:18 PM
Inger Skramstad Jørstad

"Inger Skramstad Jørstad" wrote:
Are there other nominees?

Oh yes, several James Bond 007 movies.

Is that a nomination for good or worst? I thought that most of the
skiing in the Bond films was rather a lot of fun and showed some good
quality skiing.

For worst. I do not mean the skiing scenes themselves, but rather when Bond
himself (mostly the face of actor Roger Moore) is in close-up, and not his
double or stuntman. I mean, this (rather old) guy skiing so good? To me,
anyway, at least, it looks indeed extremely fake, with Bond ( = Moore)
staring all over the place, looking behind himself and all, still managing
to avoid trees and stuff, and staying on his skis. I myself anyway have to
stay extremely focused to ski in relatively high speed with many obstacles
around me, like trees, to avoid and stay clear of. I cannot stare all over
the place, behind me and all, for many seconds, without falling or risk
crashing into something. The skiing scenes with Moore as 007 in close focus,
just seem so totally fake to me, anyway, but this is just my personal
opinion.

Old November 3rd 03, 05:32 PM
Jay Pique

On Mon, 3 Nov 2003 19:18:43 +0100, "Inger Skramstad Jørstad"
wrote:

[...]

Just get a helmet - then you don't have to worry about it.

JP
Old November 3rd 03, 05:37 PM
Walt

"Joshua L. Segal" wrote:

There are many candidates for the best skiing scenes in Hollywood
movies.

I was just watching "Spellbound" (Alfred Hitchcock) featuring a young
Gregory Peck and Ingrid Bergman and I would like to nominate the skiing
scene in that movie as the worst and most bogus skiing scene ever in a
Hollywood movie.

Wasn't Spellbound the flick that Hitchcock made with Salvadore Dali?
It's been a couple of years since I've seen it, but IIRC the film has a
lot of weird unreal dreamlike sequences, and they were intentional. I
don't know that it's fair to insist on non-bogosity from Dali.

By that standard, Un Chein Andalous had the most bogus piano recital
ever.

--
//-Walt
//
Old November 3rd 03, 05:39 PM
Walt

"Inger Skramstad Jørstad" wrote:

For worst. I do not mean the skiing scenes themselves, but rather when Bond
himself (mostly the face of actor Roger Moore) is in close-up, and not his
double or stuntman. I mean, this (rather old) guy skiing so good?

An old guy who skis well?
sarcasm Wow, how bougs can you get? /sarcasm

To me,
anyway, at least, it looks indeed extremely fake, with Bond ( = Moore)
staring all over the place, looking behind himself and all, still managing
to avoid trees and stuff, and staying on his skis. I myself anyway have to
stay extremely focused to ski in relatively high speed with many obstacles
around me, like trees, to avoid and stay clear of. I cannot stare all over
the place, behind me and all, for many seconds, without falling or risk
crashing into something.

Maybe you're just not old enough yet?

--
//-Walt
//
Old November 3rd 03, 07:55 PM
Richard Henry

"Inger Skramstad Jørstad" wrote in message
[...]

Us old guys already know where all the trees are.

Old November 3rd 03, 09:06 PM
The Real Bev

"Joshua L. Segal" skrev:
"Inger Skramstad Jørstad" wrote:
Are there other nominees?

Oh yes, several James Bond 007 movies.

Is that a nomination for good or worst? I thought that most of the
skiing in the Bond films was rather a lot of fun and showed some good
quality skiing.

The only thing I remember is the one with the snow-fan on the front of
the train. Not much skill required there.

For worst. I do not mean the skiing scenes themselves, but rather when Bond
himself (mostly the face of actor Roger Moore) is in close-up, and not his
double or stuntman. I mean, this (rather old) guy skiing so good? To me,
anyway, at least, it looks indeed extremely fake, with Bond ( = Moore)
staring all over the place, looking behind himself and all, still managing
to avoid trees and stuff, and staying on his skis. I myself anyway have to
stay extremely focused to ski in relatively high speed with many obstacles
around me, like trees, to avoid and stay clear of. I cannot stare all over
the place, behind me and all, for many seconds, without falling or risk
crashing into something.

That's why HE has a license to kill and you don't!

The skiing scenes with Moore as 007 in close focus,
just seem so totally fake to me, anyway, but this is just my personal
opinion.

Have you seen a recent picture of Moore? He looks like a middle-aged
insurance salesman. When he was young he looked like a young insurance
salesman.

--
Cheers,
Bev
Old November 3rd 03, 09:27 PM
ant

Inger Skramstad Jørstad wrote:
The skiing scenes with Moore as 007
in close focus, just seem so totally fake to me, anyway, but this is
just my personal opinion.

Obviously a Roger Moore fan! It's a pity he didn't get sucked up by that
road-clearing machine eh? Can't remember which film it was where one of the
baddies suffers that fate.

There's a Jackie Chan movie, can't remember the name, but there's quite a
bit of snow-action, it is meant to be set in Russia but it's Falls Creek in
Australia. The skiiers in that were local aussies, they reckoned they were
"ski terrorists" and got pretty busted up due to the usual attention to occ
health and safety in Jackie Chan movies! The skiing is ugly but the type of
skiing you'd expect from guys skiing around shooting machine
guns...utalitarian.

I guess this doesn't qualify as a hollywood movie since it was
Chan/australia. But are Broccoli Bond moofies Hollywood?

ant