Elk Mountain, Pennsylvania

Old March 18th 06, 09:21 PM

Default Elk Mountain, Pennsylvania

This facility (which is 20 minutes from my cousin's country house)
claims to be the best skiing in Pennsylvania. I've looked at its
website, which has a photo of the *whole* 300m hill.

Can anyone tell me more? Does it get snow all winter? What sort of
"snow"?

--
Sue ]

If you lot stop the Gulf Stream we'll have better skiing than that in South Wales.
Old March 19th 06, 02:20 AM

"Sue" wrote in message

This facility (which is 20 minutes from my cousin's country house) claims
to be the best skiing in Pennsylvania. I've looked at its website, which
has a photo of the *whole* 300m hill.

Can anyone tell me more? Does it get snow all winter? What sort of
"snow"?

--
Sue ]

If you lot stop the Gulf Stream we'll have better skiing than that in
South Wales.

Sue it is the best skiing in PA, the snow there is generally better than
the others maybe Jack Frost would give it a run for snow quality.
It has better variety of terrain than the others. It has a 1000' vert.
which is one of the highest in PA and not much off of the highest (Blue
Mountain). Elk caters to the skier and has much less snowboarders there
thus helping it to keep the snow where it belongs. Now this year has been a
bad year for skiing here on the east due to warm to freezing to raining
weather. I haven't been up there this year so I can't tell you as to how
the conditions are or were. It will be as good as any place in the lower
Pocono region. Give it a try...

JQ
Dancing on the edge

Old March 19th 06, 03:33 PM

Mike wrote:
I haven't been there in a few years. But it is the best in Pa.

Which says incredibly little. Pennslyvania and skiing are FAR from
synonomous.

Old March 19th 06, 03:56 PM

Ski Magazine select Elk Mountain among it's unsung heros.
http://blogdayafternoon.com/articles/04/12/15/7694084/

I've skied in the Rockies and the Green Mountains but I still like Elk
a lot.

Old March 19th 06, 04:40 PM

"Sue" wrote in message

This facility (which is 20 minutes from my cousin's country house) claims
to be the best skiing in Pennsylvania. I've looked at its website, which
has a photo of the *whole* 300m hill.

Can anyone tell me more? Does it get snow all winter? What sort of
"snow"?

--
Sue ]

If you lot stop the Gulf Stream we'll have better skiing than that in
South Wales.

Sue, where do you normally ski? What do you like to ski? If you ski in New
England or out West do not let the ski trail ratings scare you off.
The Black trails would be Blue trails in most of the big ski areas. Elk
mountain offers something for everyone, fast groomers, bump skiing small
bumps to big ones with much steeper pitch, easy groomers and nice green
runs. They really do not have anything really steep and the crowds are not
too bad because they are out in the middle of no where. I've skied there
both in the weekend and midweek last season.

JQ
Dancing on the edge

Old March 19th 06, 10:29 PM

In message , JQ
writes

"Sue" wrote in message

This facility (which is 20 minutes from my cousin's country house) claims
to be the best skiing in Pennsylvania. I've looked at its website, which
has a photo of the *whole* 300m hill.

Can anyone tell me more? Does it get snow all winter? What sort of
"snow"?

Sue, where do you normally ski? What do you like to ski? If you ski in New
England or out West do not let the ski trail ratings scare you off.
The Black trails would be Blue trails in most of the big ski areas. Elk
mountain offers something for everyone, fast groomers, bump skiing small
bumps to big ones with much steeper pitch, easy groomers and nice green
runs. They really do not have anything really steep and the crowds are not
too bad because they are out in the middle of no where. I've skied there
both in the weekend and midweek last season.

I'm British, I'd be arranging a family visit a few weeks in advance.
What would be my chances of finding the skiing was on solid blue ice, or
really hard hardpack? Or that it'd melted?

--
Sue ]
Old March 20th 06, 05:27 AM

"Sue" wrote in message
In message , JQ
writes

"Sue" wrote in message

[...]

If you are going to be in the area give it a try. Keep in mind this hasn't
been a great snow year so conditions
may not be the best. If it had been warm and got real cold the snow will
turn into ice but they do a decent job of grooming.
Hard pack is a given here on the east but being spring normally it soften up
pretty good. The best skiing can be had in the spring.

JQ
Dancing on the edge

Old March 20th 06, 02:29 PM

JQ wrote:
"Sue" wrote
JQ writes
"Sue" wrote

[...]

My $.02:

I ski Pennsylvaina once a year because I've got family in the area and
visit over XMas break. Haven't been to Elk, but by all reports it's the
best eastern Pennsylvania has to offer. You *can* have fun on these
little hills, just adjust your expectations accordingly and approach it
with the idea that you're going to have fun regardless.

Conditions will obviously vary according to weather, and this year's
been pretty poor snow-wise throughout the eastern US. The season's just
about over, so if you're coming this year, hurry.

Solid blue ice is more a product of skier traffic than it is of raw
weather and since Elk is not a busy hill, you might not find as much as
you will in, say, Colorado. Plus, solid blue ice can be a lot of fun if
the hill isn't all that steep.

Anyway, I wouldn't concieve of this as a grand ski vacation, but if you
think of it as a visit to your cousin's country house with a day or two
on the slopes enjoying a mildly diverting smallish hill it may be worth
it. How much do you like your cousin?

If I had the time and the option of free accomodations near Elk, I'd go.
It'll be a damn site better than a dry slope.

//Walt
Old March 20th 06, 07:20 PM

In message , Walt
writes

If you are going to be in the area give it a try. Keep in mind this
hasn't been a great snow year so conditions
may not be the best. If it had been warm and got real cold the snow
will turn into ice but they do a decent job of grooming.
Hard pack is a given here on the east but being spring normally it
soften up pretty good. The best skiing can be had in the spring.

Conditions will obviously vary according to weather, and this year's
been pretty poor snow-wise throughout the eastern US. The season's
just about over, so if you're coming this year, hurry.

Not this year then. That's fine.

Solid blue ice is more a product of skier traffic than it is of raw
weather and since Elk is not a busy hill, you might not find as much as
you will in, say, Colorado. Plus, solid blue ice can be a lot of fun
if the hill isn't all that steep.

Anyway, I wouldn't concieve of this as a grand ski vacation, but if you
think of it as a visit to your cousin's country house with a day or two
on the slopes enjoying a mildly diverting smallish hill it may be worth
it. How much do you like your cousin?

If I had the time and the option of free accomodations near Elk, I'd
go. It'll be a damn site better than a dry slope.

Thanks everyone. I'll brush up my skiing-on-cr*p skills next January
then look at visiting the cousin.

I've never used a dry slope and suspect you haven't either - people who
have are more emphatic about them. I took their advice, although
there's one five miles from here.

--
Sue ]

The instigator of the latest devastating attack on the USA
allegedly lives in "Heaven". They gonna invade there?