Atomic Big Daddies

Old December 4th 04, 12:36 AM
Brian Jones

Default Atomic Big Daddies

I'm in the market to add to my ski collection. I'm currently looking at the
Atomic Big Daddy. This ski sound like it's the right thing for me, but I can
get my hands on them to check out. I'm 6'-6" and weigh about 290. I'm also a
very aggressive skier. Just to give you an idea my boots are Solomon xwave
10 out of the box they are a 110 flex I had 2 rivet put in each boot to make
them stiff enough.

I've read all sorts of good things about the big daddies, but I want to get
a real persons impression of the ski. I would say 85-90% of my ski in on
hardpack, ice or crud. I know the skis are good for crud and powder (which
in the Northwest doesn't exist!) How are these on hardpack? I've been skiing
Scream 10 Pilots for a season and a half and they are very dead. I liked
them when the were new, but they were too soft and kind of dead for my
liking. The skis I absolutely love are my 206 Dynastar G9's I'm looking for
something that will give me similar stability and snap.

Thanks
Brian

Old December 4th 04, 06:13 AM
Dmitry

"Brian Jones" wrote

I'm in the market to add to my ski collection. I'm currently looking at the Atomic Big Daddy. This ski sound like it's the right
thing for me, but I can get my hands on them to check out. I'm 6'-6" and weigh about 290. I'm also a very aggressive skier. Just
to give you an idea my boots are Solomon xwave 10 out of the box they are a 110 flex I had 2 rivet put in each boot to make them
stiff enough.

Take a look at Head Monster 103. My good friend is on those for a year,
and he did try Big Daddy before getting the Monster. He's lighter than
you (~200lbs), but he's an extremely strong guy for his weight (several
hours of physical training per day). He sets his bindings to din 12 and
he can't use anything but full-on race stock bindings because "pedestrian"
ones just fall apart after a couple of days. On bumps he gets unwarranted
releases even at din 12. He's using Nordica boots with rivets and inserts
to about 140 flex.

Basically those skis are some sheets of titanium bound together with layers
of carbon plus base and edges. They bust through anything and hold well
on anything (speaking from experience of trying to keep up with him on
a snowboard).

Old December 4th 04, 05:03 PM
Tommy T.

"Dmitry" wrote ". . . He sets his bindings to
din 12 and
he can't use anything but full-on race stock bindings because "pedestrian"
ones just fall apart after a couple of days. On bumps he gets unwarranted
releases even at din 12. . ."

With all respect to your friend, he needs to work on his technique.

Tommy T.

Old December 4th 04, 05:33 PM
LePheaux

"Dmitry" wrote in message news:ysdsd.140472

First off Dumbass he said a real persons opinion.

Take a look at Head Monster 103. My good friend is on those for a year,
and he did try Big Daddy before getting the Monster. He's lighter than
you (~200lbs),

Second he wanted first hand opinion.

but he's an extremely strong guy for his weight (several
hours of physical training per day). He sets his bindings to din 12 and
he can't use anything but full-on race stock bindings because "pedestrian"
ones just fall apart after a couple of days.

Pedestrian bindingsG

On bumps he gets unwarranted
releases even at din 12. He's using Nordica boots with rivets and inserts
to about 140 flex.

Third ,get it right it's called pre-release.

Basically those skis are some sheets of titanium bound together with
layers
of carbon plus base and edges. They bust through anything and hold well
on anything (speaking from experience of trying to keep up with him on
a snowboard).

\

Jeeezus I can't think of anything more moronic or ironic then ski advise
from a
intermediate boarder.

Old December 4th 04, 09:02 PM
Dmitry

"Tommy T." wrote

"Dmitry" wrote ". . . He sets his bindings to
din 12 and
he can't use anything but full-on race stock bindings because "pedestrian"
ones just fall apart after a couple of days. On bumps he gets unwarranted
releases even at din 12. . ."

With all respect to your friend, he needs to work on his technique.

That too, but lugging a 193x11cm heavy unbendable plys of titanium and
carbon around tight bumps is something not everybody can do even with
the best technique.

Old December 4th 04, 09:17 PM
Dmitry

"LePheaux" wrote

Jeeezus I can't think of anything more moronic or ironic then ski advise from a intermediate boarder.

**** off, moron.

Old December 8th 04, 05:48 PM
Simon Isbister

First off Dumbass he said a real persons opinion.

more useless hostility snipped

Ahh... always good to be reminded why I stopped reading newsgroups in the
first place.

-s-

Atomic Big Daddies Brian Jones Alpine Skiing 7 December 8th 04 05:48 PM
Atomic warranty Jon C Alpine Skiing 1 February 11th 04 02:09 AM
Advice on Atomic Skis - SL11 or GS11 Andrew Alpine Skiing 11 February 6th 04 01:21 PM
Atomic REX and binding question Armin Alpine Skiing (moderated) 1 February 5th 04 11:33 PM
any experience with atomic boards? [email protected] Snowboarding 4 October 7th 03 07:55 PM