Quick release method for lift tickets?

Old September 9th 05, 04:36 PM
MoonMan

The Real Bev wrote:
MoonMan wrote:

The Real Bev wrote:
snip
You can set the broken leg of somebody you'd rather see dead if
that's your job. I wish I'd watched more than one episode of 'Yes,
Minister.' From what I saw, the Minister was an appointed dolt and
the real work was done by the professional staff. I would guess,
based on other political appointments (ambassadors who don't speak
the language of their host country, etc.), that we use the same
system.

The point of Yes Minister was that whatever the elected polititian
tried to do was frustrated by the permanent staff. sometimes because
it was a bad idea, sometimes because "we don't do it that way", but
usually because it was not in the interest of the civil service.

I see. Just like here. Ministers are elected?

Well, yes (usually) and no

A Minister is Usually an MP and therefore elected to parliment, but
appointed a minister. but A Peer (Lord) can also be a Appointed as a
Minister and Peers are either appointed (by one of the political parties or
for doing good works or long service) or Hereditary (only a few of these are
left, and they are elected by the other "Herieditory" Peers) In the case of
"Yes Minister" The Minister is an MP apointed by his party leader who is the
current PM. though of course in the sequel series Yes Prime minister he has
been elected leader of his party, and as his party has a majority in the
house of Commons is therefore Prime Minister.

There clear as Mud

Chris *:-)

Old September 9th 05, 04:43 PM
lal_truckee

The Real Bev wrote:

I wish I'd watched more than one episode of 'Yes, Minister.' From what
I saw, the Minister was an appointed dolt and the real work was done by the
professional staff.

Hell, I learned that when I was about 10 from reading "The Star Beast"
by Heinlein.

Saw it in action plenty of times during my career. Stories R Us.
Old September 9th 05, 07:33 PM
Rich Heimlich

On Thu, 08 Sep 2005 23:09:35 -0700, The Real Bev
wrote:

More proof that FEMA (along with a lot of other government agencies) has its
head up its ass.

I love how they removed Brown today. They essentially fire the guy,
but NOOOOO, they claim he's needed to work on potential future
disasters. RIGHT. And the guy lied on his application.

This goes right back to Bush appointing unqualified people to
positions they do not have a right to inhabit.

But even with the lying and the fiasco, he isn't fired. ABSOLUTELY
unacceptable.
Old September 9th 05, 11:54 PM
pigo

wrote:

More proof that FEMA (along with a lot of other government
agencies) has its
head up its ass.

I love how they removed Brown today. They essentially fire the guy,
but NOOOOO, they claim he's needed to work on potential future
disasters. RIGHT. And the guy lied on his application.

This goes right back to Bush appointing unqualified people to
positions they do not have a right to inhabit.

But even with the lying and the fiasco, he isn't fired. ABSOLUTELY
unacceptable.

Isn't it great how ****ed off and how helpless you are to do anything
about it? Maybe if they could find some of is spewie on a dress of a
girl he never had sex with?

Old September 9th 05, 11:56 PM
pigo

"Sven Golly" wrote in message

Side note - You do know that the Red Cross has now publicly said
that
they were prevented from bringing in relief supplies to the
Superdome and
Convention Center by LOUISIANA STATE officials??

There you go, using facts to side with Bush again.

Old September 10th 05, 12:07 AM
klaus

pigo wrote:
"Sven Golly" wrote in message

Side note - You do know that the Red Cross has now publicly said
that
they were prevented from bringing in relief supplies to the
Superdome and
Convention Center by LOUISIANA STATE officials??

There you go, using facts to side with Bush again.

hey. I'd be all over that, but I try not to bash a sitting minority
party. I'll have plenty to say in three years or whenever the dems get a
majority. I'm sure you understand.

-klaus

Old September 10th 05, 01:23 AM
ant

The Real Bev wrote:
I wish I'd watched more than one episode of 'Yes,
Minister.' From what I saw, the Minister was an appointed dolt and
the real work was done by the professional staff. I would guess,
based on other political appointments (ambassadors who don't speak
the language of their host country, etc.), that we use the same
system.

The american system is totally different from the Westminster system, which
Australia also uses.

Tthe English recently had a problem with some people exploding bombs in
their underground. I thought they handled the entire situation very well
indeed.

--
ant

Old September 10th 05, 02:12 AM
ant

Ted Waldron wrote:
In article ,
"ant" wrote:

Tthe English recently had a problem with some people exploding bombs
in their underground. I thought they handled the entire situation
very well indeed.

Especially when the Anti terror squad killed the Brazillian
electrician execution style.

Like any system they have their strengths and their major royal ****
ups.

I think in the scheme of things, the Poms came out of that one looking OK.
And they learned from it.
One person died unneccessarily, not thousands.

The telling thing was how they handled the initial emergency, which happened
in one of the largest, busiest cities in the world, with no warning. The
machine swung into action, and it worked.

--
ant

Old September 10th 05, 05:30 AM
The Real Bev

MoonMan wrote:
The Real Bev wrote:
MoonMan wrote:

The Real Bev wrote:
[...]

So we might then assume that a Minister has at least some sort of expertise at
something, even if it's only getting elected, right? Cronyism wouldn't play a
huge part then, right? And a Ministry wouldn't normally be regarded as a
sinecure, right? How about Ambassadorships?

--
Cheers,
Bev
Old September 10th 05, 05:33 AM
The Real Bev

ant wrote:

The Real Bev wrote:
I wish I'd watched more than one episode of 'Yes,
Minister.' From what I saw, the Minister was an appointed dolt and
the real work was done by the professional staff. I would guess,
based on other political appointments (ambassadors who don't speak
the language of their host country, etc.), that we use the same
system.

The american system is totally different from the Westminster system, which
Australia also uses.

Tthe English recently had a problem with some people exploding bombs in
their underground. I thought they handled the entire situation very well
indeed.

Um, was that the one where they shot the innocent bystander in the head? Is
'Oops' the same in British English as in American English?

Actually, that was a cheap shot (on my part). That shooting was absolutely
unexpected and the fact that they got it wrong was even moreso.

--
Cheers,
Bev