Quick release method for lift tickets?

Old September 8th 05, 12:07 PM
VtSkier

ant wrote:
Walt wrote:

ant wrote:

And those pies.
I reckon if Americans' national pie was a meat pie, like ours, many
problems would not exist because no one is going to die for a meat
pie.

You've obviously never been to the Upper Peninsula of Michigan and
discussed pasties with the yoopers.

Pasties are rubbish compared with meat pies. There is a bakery in Seattle
that does meat pies and sausage rolls, they do mail order and do a roaring
trade with all the US pie-deprived aussies, kiwis, french, poms and whoever
else eats real pies.

Uhm, could someone please define "pasties" for me?
I have an entirely different picture to the one
being developed here.

VtSkier
Old September 8th 05, 12:13 PM
VtSkier

ant wrote:
Sven Golly wrote:

A senior administration official said that Bush has clear legal
authority to federalize National Guard units to quell civil
disturbances under the Insurrection Act and will continue to try to
unify the chains of command that are split among the president, the
Louisiana governor and the New Orleans mayor.

The national guard is run by state governments?!!!! bloody hell.

-
ant

In the US there is the fiction that the states
are sovereign. The Guard is the outgrowth of
the colonial militias of the various colonies.
In New England the "Minuteman" of Revolutionary
War days is often taken as the model and symbol
of the Guard.

It is directly controlled by the governor of
the state through his/her adjutant general. In
vermont the adjutant general is Martha Rainville.

In times of need the guard may be nationalized
by order of the president.

The Guard is enough of a branch of the national
armed forces that service in the guard counts
as national service as a reservist.

VtSkier
Old September 8th 05, 12:18 PM
VtSkier

Ted Waldron wrote:
In article ,
The Real Bev wrote:

Here's an interesting article linked off the Drudge site. I don't know how
the Opinion Journal and Evergreen Freedom Foundation are related to the Wall
Street Journal, but I think that the WSJ at least tries to get it right.

http://www.opinionjournal.com/extra/?id=110007219

--
Cheers,
Bev

The guy who wrote has no emergency management experience, he was a
state legislator in the Mt St Helens area when it erupted in 1980.
Which pretty much gives him no experience or expertise to give him any
sort of wisdom about an evacuation of over a million people, or about
the aftermaths of Hurricanes. The census of his district in 1980 was
8,000. I know it because I go skiing in Skamania County quite alot, and
it is still an isolated area.

He would have more expertise about the legend of Sasquatch than
Emergency Disaster Management. The guy has a fellowship at some goofy
institute outside of Olympia, WA. Sort of like the Discovery Institute.

-ted

Regardless of his "qualifications", if his data is accurate,
then he is correct in his assessment of culpability of the
LA and NO leadership.
Old September 8th 05, 12:22 PM
Walt

VtSkier wrote:
ant wrote:
Walt wrote:
ant wrote:

I reckon if Americans' national pie was a meat pie, like ours, many
problems would not exist because no one is going to die for a meat
pie.

You've obviously never been to the Upper Peninsula of Michigan and
discussed pasties with the yoopers.

Pasties are rubbish compared with meat pies.

Well, if you do go there, you might want to keep your pie hole shut
regarding this subject.

Uhm, could someone please define "pasties" for me?

"The easiest way to describe a pasty, is a pot pie without the pot."
http://www.hu.mtu.edu/vup/pasty/history.htm
http://www.hu.mtu.edu/vup/pasty/recipes.htm

I have an entirely different picture to the one
being developed here.

You're thinking of the pastie, no doubt, you dirty old man.

--
// Walt
//

Old September 8th 05, 12:37 PM
VtSkier

Walt wrote:
VtSkier wrote:

ant wrote:

Walt wrote:

ant wrote:

I reckon if Americans' national pie was a meat pie, like ours, many
problems would not exist because no one is going to die for a meat
pie.

You've obviously never been to the Upper Peninsula of Michigan and
discussed pasties with the yoopers.

Pasties are rubbish compared with meat pies.

Well, if you do go there, you might want to keep your pie hole shut
regarding this subject.

Uhm, could someone please define "pasties" for me?

"The easiest way to describe a pasty, is a pot pie without the pot."
http://www.hu.mtu.edu/vup/pasty/history.htm
http://www.hu.mtu.edu/vup/pasty/recipes.htm

I have an entirely different picture to the one
being developed here.

You're thinking of the pastie, no doubt, you dirty old man.

Yeah, your point being?

// Walt
//
// There is no Pasty Conspiracy

Yes there is. Someone has to lighten up this
discussion a bit.
Old September 8th 05, 12:50 PM
Walt

VtSkier wrote:
Walt wrote:
VtSkier wrote:

Uhm, could someone please define "pasties" for me?

"The easiest way to describe a pasty, is a pot pie without the pot."
http://www.hu.mtu.edu/vup/pasty/history.htm
http://www.hu.mtu.edu/vup/pasty/recipes.htm

I have an entirely different picture to the one
being developed here.

You're thinking of the pastie, no doubt, you dirty old man.

Yeah, your point being?

Pasty and pastie are different objects. Although the plurals are
spelled the same, causing some confusion especially since one tends to
come in pairs.

And make sure you get the pronunciation right:

Pasty rhymes with nasty.
Pastie rhymes with hasty.

Ya don't wanna order the wrong thing in Houghton.

--
// Walt
//

Old September 8th 05, 01:39 PM
VtSkier

Walt wrote:
VtSkier wrote:

Walt wrote:

VtSkier wrote:

Uhm, could someone please define "pasties" for me?

"The easiest way to describe a pasty, is a pot pie without the pot."
http://www.hu.mtu.edu/vup/pasty/history.htm
http://www.hu.mtu.edu/vup/pasty/recipes.htm

I have an entirely different picture to the one
being developed here.

You're thinking of the pastie, no doubt, you dirty old man.

Yeah, your point being?

Pasty and pastie are different objects. Although the plurals are
spelled the same, causing some confusion especially since one tends to
come in pairs.

True on pairs.

And make sure you get the pronunciation right:

Pasty rhymes with nasty.
Pastie rhymes with hasty.

Thank you for that. I would have surely gotten
it wrong. Though in some English verse somewhere
I did hear of a hasty pasty.

Ya don't wanna order the wrong thing in Houghton.

Where?

--
// Walt
//

Old September 8th 05, 01:55 PM
Walt

http://makeashorterlink.com/?L292322CB
Old September 8th 05, 02:09 PM
Walt

bdubya wrote:

Depends on what "people" you're reading. I tend to read more
right-wing sites lately...

I know what you mean, it's great entertainment. The folks at
worldnutdaily can usually be counted on for a good belly laugh:

http://www.worldnetdaily.com/news/ar...TICLE_ID=46178

excerpt:

While most religious authorities seem to agree one cannot discern the
intentions of God, there has been talk in some circles here and on the
Internet that the storm that turned parts of the Gulf Coast into a
disaster zone, prompting hundreds of thousands to evacuate their homes
and possibly causing upwards of 10,000 deaths, was thrust upon the U.S.
for its support of the Gaza evacuation

"...when we see something so enormous as Katrina, I would say
[President] Bush and [Secretary of State Condoleezza] Rice need to make
an accounting of their actions, because something was done wrong by
America in a big way. And here there are many obvious connections
between the storm and the Gaza evacuation, which came right on top of
each other. No one has permission to take away one inch of the land of
Israel from the Jewish people."

//-Walt
Old September 8th 05, 03:08 PM
lal_truckee

VtSkier wrote:

It is directly controlled by the governor of
the state...

Yeah. I still have fond memories of Reagan calling out the guard to gas
me from helicopters when I was trying to study for my Doc orals.

In fact to this day I don't display my diplomas because I'm ashamed they
were signed by that doofus when he was gov, and not countersigned by Bonzo.