How useful is high fluoro?

Old October 3rd 06, 12:22 AM posted to rec.skiing.nordic

Default How useful is high fluoro?

Is there a niche that a high fluoro fills better than a wide range pure
fluoro (e.g., FC1 or Toko Jetstream Moly) that is ironed or corked in
over the temperature appropriate LF?

My experience with high fluoros (Swix and Toko) is limited and I
understand there isn't universal agreement that the use of a pure
fluoro must follow the traditional 4-step layering approach: paraffin,
then LF, then HF, then pure fluoro.

Any facts/opinions/experiences appreciated.

Old October 4th 06, 05:53 AM posted to rec.skiing.nordic

I disagree, use a 2 step approach, LF then fluoro. You'll save a lot of
time and money.
If you are really cheap, you can "borrow" someone's fluoro brush, use

it on your skis, which have some cheap LF, evenly knock the fluoro out
of the brush, run an iron over your skis, ski for a K and race. Make
sure you beat the "lender" and tell them how fast your skis were.

I've got several HFs (Swix 6 & 8 and Rex Yellow), several pure fluoros
(Swix and Rex), and all the Swix LFs and CHs (which I use for training,
cleaning and layering under LFs).
But I haven't used the HFs much and I wonder if there are situations
where they're better than the LFs with a pure fluoro on top (I usually
do paraffin then LF and occasionally a pure fluoro over that - a 3
step approach). Maybe Royal Gorge on a March afternoon?

Old October 4th 06, 06:32 PM posted to rec.skiing.nordic
Bjorn A. Payne Diaz

wrote:
I've got several HFs (Swix 6 & 8 and Rex Yellow), several pure fluoros
(Swix and Rex), and all the Swix LFs and CHs (which I use for training,
cleaning and layering under LFs).
But I haven't used the HFs much and I wonder if there are situations
where they're better than the LFs with a pure fluoro on top (I usually
do paraffin then LF and occasionally a pure fluoro over that - a 3
step approach). Maybe Royal Gorge on a March afternoon?

There's been some rethinking of the traditional CH, LF, HF, pure flouro
laying approach. Basically use the faster combo under the pure flouor
and you should be pretty good with a pure flouro cover.

LF 6 and FC1 is a good combo when LF6 is faster than HF6 (quite often
actually). HF 8 and the warmer cera (FC8 or FC200 as I remember) is
also a good combo. I'd certainly opt for HF8 and FC8 for racing
compared to LF8 and FC8, but I haven't compared the two. HF4? I have
only experimented with it a couple times. I think the recommendations
are usually LF4 + FC1. (I usually go with LF4.)

IF the snow is wet, then using an HF under the pure fluoro will help,
but I can't tell you how much. You can mix 6 and 8 to get a 7. I think
it would have to be pretty sloppy to need something softer than 8, but
maybe that's Rex Yellow territory (haven't used that). To use something
really soft, both the temps have to be warm and the snow has to be
soft. Otherwise you can get burned with dogs.

Jay W