Ski Insurance

Old November 17th 10, 02:07 PM posted to rec.skiing.resorts.europe
Michael Chare

Default Ski Insurance

It would appear that www.ski-insurance.co.uk are no longer interested in old
people like me. Their web site excludes people older than their mid
fifties, though I was offered a Fortis annual policy when I phoned them.

On paper (i.e. my PC screen) Insureandgo offer polices at a low price which
do include off piste skiing in areas not deemed unsuitable by resort
management
and without the requirement for a guide.

The only down side with Insureandgo is that there are many bad public
reviews , contrasted by one or two good ones.

Marks & Spencer have a policy that allows you to add unguided off piste
skiing as a option, but it does significantly increase the price.

I don't do that much off piste skiing but there are some runs where the
sides of the pistes are not marked, so if is never clear whether or not you
are on a piste, further I have been know to take a shortcut where for
example, I have gone in the wrong direction.

Anyone got an opinion of Insureandgo or able to suggest an alternative. I
have a one week and a two week holiday booked, (covered by an insurance
policy that does not include skiing risks.)

--
Michael Chare

Old November 17th 10, 02:13 PM posted to rec.skiing.resorts.europe
Ace[_4_]

On Wed, 17 Nov 2010 14:07:48 -0000, "Michael Chare"
wrote:

Anyone got an opinion of Insureandgo or able to suggest an alternative. I
have a one week and a two week holiday booked, (covered by an insurance
policy that does not include skiing risks.)

As a non-UK resident I don't really keep track of these things, and
certainly have no knowledge of the company you mention. So I've no
idea how competitive it is or how well it meets your needs, but I feel
it would be remiss of me not to point out Ski Club GB's insurance at
http://www.skiclub.co.uk/skiclub/ins...insurance.aspx

HTH

--
Ace
Ski Club of Great Britain http://www.skiclub.co.uk/
Old November 17th 10, 02:52 PM posted to rec.skiing.resorts.europe
BrritSki

wrote:

Anyone got an opinion of Insureandgo or able to suggest an alternative. I
have a one week and a two week holiday booked, (covered by an insurance
policy that does not include skiing risks.)

As a non-UK resident I don't really keep track of these things, and
certainly have no knowledge of the company you mention. So I've no
idea how competitive it is or how well it meets your needs, but I feel
it would be remiss of me not to point out Ski Club GB's insurance at
http://www.skiclub.co.uk/skiclub/ins...insurance.aspx

Like Bruce I'm not in the UK either, but we used to have an annual
family insurance policy with Direct ??? Claimed a couple of times
without problems.
I think it's these guys: http://www.direct-travel.co.uk/

Good Luck

Old November 17th 10, 03:07 PM posted to rec.skiing.resorts.europe
Roger Moss[_6_]

"Michael Chare" wrote in message
o.uk...
[...]

I've raised the 'between pistes' scenario with various French resort
officials, and generally it seems that simply skiing between pisted runs is
not viewed in quite the same light as 'hors-piste'. "You'll be covered on
your lift-pass/insurance in places like that..", I was told. Where it gets
trickier, understandably, is when you stray beyond the outer limits of the
ski area - you're on your own here, so at your own risk.

If you know where you'll be skiing I'd ask the tourism people (in advance
via the website) for their thoughts - and if you have a Gold VISA card you
might already be covered for winter sports insurance.

Roger
www.mountainpassions.com - Independent, Expert Insight with Altitude

Old November 17th 10, 04:57 PM posted to rec.skiing.resorts.europe
Champ

wrote:

Anyone got an opinion of Insureandgo or able to suggest an alternative.

I always used to use SnowCard
http://www.snowcard.co.uk/pages/ski-insurance.asp - dunno if they'll
meet all your requirements, but maybe worth a look
--
Champ
neal at champ dot org dot uk
Old November 17th 10, 05:31 PM posted to rec.skiing.resorts.europe
Mike Clark[_2_]

wrote:

Anyone got an opinion of Insureandgo or able to suggest an alternative.

I always used to use SnowCard
http://www.snowcard.co.uk/pages/ski-insurance.asp - dunno if they'll
meet all your requirements, but maybe worth a look

Since I spend more time off the piste than on the piste and including
ski-touring and ski-mountaineering I arrange my travel insurance through
the BMC ( who offer this jointly with the MCofS), I take out annual
Alpine & Ski

http://www.thebmc.co.uk/modules/insurance/Landing.aspx

it also covers cycle racing, paragliding, rafting, sports parachuting,
scuba diving (down to 40m), ice skating and dog sledging, but rather
interestingly I note that it says that snowboarding requires an
additional premium ;-)

Mike
--
o/ \\ // |\ ,_ o Mike Clark
\__,\\ // __o | \ / /\, "A mountain climbing, cycling, skiing,
Old November 17th 10, 07:49 PM posted to rec.skiing.resorts.europe
The Older Gentleman[_2_]

Michael Chare wrote:

Anyone got an opinion of Insureandgo or able to suggest an alternative.

I have an annual policy with BUPA, and have had it for years. It covers
four weeks' skiing per year. I'm aged 52.

No idea what the conditions are regarding off-piste.

--
BMW K1100LT Ducati 750SS Honda CB400Fx2 Triumph Street Triple
Kawasaki GT550 Suzuki TS250ERx2 GN250 Back to nine bikes!
Old November 18th 10, 08:58 AM posted to rec.skiing.resorts.europe
Colin Irvine[_4_]

On Wed, 17 Nov 2010 14:07:48 -0000, Michael Chare squeezed out the
following:

[...]

We use Direct Travel, whose FAQ incudes this
http://www.direct-travel.co.uk/faq/c...off-piste.aspx

Their insurance also covers large motorcycles, which is the other
reason why we use it.

--
Colin Irvine
Old November 18th 10, 03:14 PM posted to rec.skiing.resorts.europe
Ollie Clark

wrote:

Anyone got an opinion of Insureandgo or able to suggest an alternative. I
have a one week and a two week holiday booked, (covered by an insurance
policy that does not include skiing risks.)

[snip]

Like Bruce I'm not in the UK either, but we used to have an annual
family insurance policy with Direct ??? Claimed a couple of times
without problems.
I think it's these guys: http://www.direct-travel.co.uk/

That's who I'm with. Never claimed from them mind but on paper their
cover looks very good including unguided off-piste (last time I checked).

We got very worried when we were in Egypt as we realised we'd only got
European cover but it turns out Egypt was included anyway.

I've been impressed but like I say, I've never needed to claim.

Cheers,

Ollie
Old November 19th 10, 01:07 PM posted to rec.skiing.resorts.europe
Michael Chare[_2_]

"Michael Chare" wrote in message
o.uk...

Thanks for all the suggestions.

I have made my choice!

Hopefully I won't need snow insurance as the web cams are showing lots of
pristine snow especially after the snowfall last night.

--
Michael Chare

Ski insurance California Ed Kolmogorov Alpine Skiing 25 February 16th 10 04:10 PM
Ski insurance recommendations Kyle European Ski Resorts 6 February 24th 05 07:36 PM
SKI INSURANCE Kyle Alpine Skiing 1 February 17th 05 07:28 PM
Snowboard Insurance Steve Snowboarding 2 August 23rd 04 01:41 AM
Insurance for Ski Race - HELP MoonMan European Ski Resorts 0 January 21st 04 04:32 PM