is plastic wax scraper necessary?

Old December 15th 04, 08:58 PM
Mike T

YEah, forgot to mention that the idea here is that by scraping the wax
while it's still hot you get to put some pressure on it so that it'll
get into the base pores even better.

I have no idea if it actually works, but sure is much quicker to remove
excess wax while it's still soft. And much less messy, creates one big
pile of wax instead of a bunch of little sticky pieces that are hard to
clean.

IMHO if you feel it necessary or helpful to do this, you don't need to use
quite so much wax.

On the other hand a hot scrape - use a good amount of wax, preferably an
inexpensive warm-snow wax, and scrape it immediately - is a great way to
clean your base, it's similar in principle as waxing body parts in order to
remove hair.

Mike T

Old December 15th 04, 10:07 PM

okay, I'm still a little confused.
I've seen metal scraper (thin piece of metal, stays sharp, but would
probably flex)
and
I've see plastic scrapers (thick piece of plastic, thick so wouldn't
flex, but plastic wouldn't stay sharp)

is the metal used for scrapping off hot or warm (liquid-like) wax
and plastic for scrapping off cooled (solidified) wax?
I just want to know which one to get and what to do with them

Old December 15th 04, 10:11 PM
Mike T

is the metal used for scrapping off hot or warm (liquid-like) wax
and plastic for scrapping off cooled (solidified) wax?
I just want to know which one to get and what to do with them

The only time I ever use a metal scraper is after doing a ptex repair. A
plastic scraper won't plane off any extra ptex that is above the plane of
the base, but a metal one will.

I would recommend getting a plastic one for waxing.

Mike T

Old December 15th 04, 10:59 PM

thanks -
there should be a tuning section in the FAQ

Old December 16th 04, 02:18 PM
Neil Gendzwill

thanks -
there should be a tuning section in the FAQ

More than you probably need to know at
http://www.alpinecarving.com/tuning.html

BTW hot scraping is good for cleaning your base, not so good for the
waxing - the hot wax is pulling out dirt and old wax. Let your wax cool
well before scraping when putting on the riding coat.

Neil

Old December 17th 04, 04:05 AM
Mike M. Miskulin

"Mike T" wrote in news:Zr2wd.4377$Zn6.42
@trnddc08:

On the other hand a hot scrape - use a good amount of wax,
preferably an inexpensive warm-snow wax, and scrape it immediately
is a great way to clean your base, it's similar in principle as
waxing body parts in order
to remove hair.

But does your board yelp when you do that?
Old February 12th 05, 09:32 PM
broady broady is offline
Junior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by
I want to start waxing my board but never did it before.

just wondering if those plastic wax scraper with a square edge is
really useful.

can't I just use something like a putty knife?
At the hardware store, I found a 12inch long paint guide ($4) - it has
a 12inch x 4inch metal edge and plastic handle. I would think that
would scrape stuff better than a square piece of plastic.

please let me know if you've used a plastic scrapper and if it's worth
$8 - $10.
if u know someone in sheetmetal u need 2.5 r 3.00mm thick steel plate about 125mm wide by 75mm to 100mm height.