Moving to Utah!

Old October 14th 03, 03:20 PM
Chester Bullock

Jake wrote:

Moving to Utah soon...can't wait to be able to ski powder on a regular
basis.
I have skied the crude on the east coast most of my life. So I guess that
means I can ski anywhere!

As in crude oil?

--
Chester Bullock,
Ethical, custom website hosting, design and programming

Old October 14th 03, 04:08 PM
Jake

Default Moving to Utah!

Moving to Utah soon...can't wait to be able to ski powder on a regular
basis.
I have skied the crude on the east coast most of my life. So I guess that
means I can ski anywhere!

Any locals in the SLC area have any recommendations on where to ski?

Thanks,

Jake

Old October 14th 03, 05:35 PM
pigo

"Jake" wrote in message
Moving to Utah soon...can't wait to be able to ski powder on a regular
basis.
I have skied the crude on the east coast most of my life. So I guess

that
means I can ski anywhere!

Any locals in the SLC area have any recommendations on where to ski?

Thanks,

I knew quite a few "easterners" that came this way and the powder ate
them up. Waist deep means that. Not the highest point that it blows up
onto your body.

There are only two (Alta and Deer Valley) area that do not allow
snowboards. If you haven't been to one in a while, you will be amazed at
the quality of conditions.

Locals coupons and seasons passes are about to go off sale. It might be
a good idea to line up one of those soon. If you're going to live in the
park****ty area the Deer Valley coupons let you ski for about $38 per
day. If you'll be living in SLC the Alta ones get you about $32 per day.

If you don't have the revulsion to snowboards that I do, try Snowbasin
too. Email me if you have some more questions. I'll go up and ski with
you when you get here.

pigo

Old October 14th 03, 05:50 PM
AstroPax

On Tue, 14 Oct 2003 10:08:15 CST, "Jake" wrote:

Moving to Utah soon...can't wait to be able to ski powder on a regular
basis.
I have skied the crude on the east coast most of my life. So I guess that
means I can ski anywhere!

Any locals in the SLC area have any recommendations on where to ski?

Lift-served skiing in Utah? Sure. I recommend one of the following:

The Crayons
Park ****ty
Dear Valet
Brightoff
Soliturd
Xxxx
Blowbird
Blowbasin
Powder Boarders Mountain
Nordicked Valley
Eat Beaver Mountain
No-Dancing-Without-Sunlight-Between-The-Two-Allowed
Brian Gives Head
Elk Meadows Massacre

-Astro

---
maximum exposure f/2.8
http://www.xmission.com/~hound/astro/03-04/index.htm
---

Old October 14th 03, 06:26 PM
Monique Y. Herman

On Tue, 14 Oct 2003 at 16:08 GMT, Jake penned:
Moving to Utah soon...can't wait to be able to ski powder on a regular
basis. I have skied the crude on the east coast most of my life. So
I guess that means I can ski anywhere!

Any locals in the SLC area have any recommendations on where to ski?

Thanks,

Jake

I don't live in Utah, but check out Solitude.

--
monique
Unless you need to share ultra-sensitive super-spy stuff with me, please

Old October 14th 03, 08:37 PM
AstroPax

On 14 Oct 2003 17:35:08 GMT, "pigo"
wrote:

//snip//

I knew quite a few "easterners" that came this way and the powder ate
them up.

Yea, me too.

For example, here is one of those unsuspecting "easterners" (Hi Tom !)
that was eaten alive, and eventually spit back out.

http://www.xmission.com/~hound/astro/alta_stuck.jpg

No harm done.

Waist deep means that. Not the highest point that it blows up
onto your body.

There have been times, like after a double blow-out and attempting to
maneuver around without skis on, where I was literally "armpit deep"
in the powder.

A few powder pointers:

#1: Get yourself a good pair of mid-fat or fat skis.
#2: Put some big powder baskets on your ski poles.
#3: Get a good pair of goggles...and strap them on TIGHT.
#4: Avoid the untracked flats on deep powder days.
#5: Don't traverse across a MY line, untracked or otherwise! ;)

-Astro

---

Old October 15th 03, 04:18 PM
pigo

"AstroPax" wrote in message
(snip)
Waist deep means that. Not the highest point that it blows up
onto your body.

There have been times, like after a double blow-out and attempting to
maneuver around without skis on, where I was literally "armpit deep"
in the powder.

Oh yeah! But I was refering more to the obvious vacationers that you
hear from time to time. Sometimes in the bar at the end of the day or
(for me) on the shuttle I was driving. They'd go on about the knee or
waist deep when I'd been skiing the same area all day and it was *maybe*
8-10".

A few powder pointers:

#1: Get yourself a good pair of mid-fat or fat skis.
#2: Put some big powder baskets on your ski poles.
#3: Get a good pair of goggles...and strap them on TIGHT.
#4: Avoid the untracked flats on deep powder days.
#5: Don't traverse across a MY line, untracked or otherwise! ;)

On their first days out I'd suggest be there (at the lift) 1/2 hour
before the lifts open and it might be a good idea to hit DV. There is a
wider selection of pitch and it just seem to me that it might be easier
for someone that is learning to have more options. The main thing is to
GET OUT THERE! You've got to get out when it snows. EARLY! To get
substantially untracked.