Snow Chains

Old December 16th 03, 05:05 PM
Roy K

Default Snow Chains

I've just been out to buy snow chains for our jolly to France over New Year,
and Halfords are flogging them for £50 upwards - seems a tad steep to me!

Can anyone recommend a cheaper retail outlet in the East Midlands - or would
we be better buying them when we get to France?

Roy

Old December 16th 03, 05:23 PM
Michael MacClancy

"Roy K" wrote in message
I've just been out to buy snow chains for our jolly to France over New

Year,
and Halfords are flogging them for £50 upwards - seems a tad steep to me!

Can anyone recommend a cheaper retail outlet in the East Midlands - or

would
we be better buying them when we get to France?

Why not rent? This is the first I found when googling:
http://www.snowchains.co.uk/main/rentals_car.htm
___
Michael MacClancy

Old December 16th 03, 05:34 PM
Simon Brown

Hi,

There's no such thing as cheap chains. There are good, easy to fit in a snow
storm and those which break your finger nails etc. 50 quid for decent chains
is not expensive.

Myself I would buy in France, get the best you can. Trust me, I've made an
idiot of myself in this area :-(
--
Simon Brown
www.hb9drv.ch

Old December 16th 03, 07:13 PM
Bill Seddon

"Roy K" wrote in message
I've just been out to buy snow chains for our jolly to France over New

Year,
and Halfords are flogging them for £50 upwards - seems a tad steep to me!

Can anyone recommend a cheaper retail outlet in the East Midlands - or

would
we be better buying them when we get to France?

Roy

Depends if you have an easy to fit car or not. You would hate to find that
the correct size doesn't exist over in France where you need them.

Easy fit is essential IMHO. I got some for my big people carrier at
www.skidrive.co.uk, a lot cheaper than my previous set for a Jeep, and on
a trial run very simple to fit.
Stick in your tyre size and up comes a selection and prices. Worth a look
maybe.

Bill

Old December 16th 03, 07:50 PM
Steve Haigh

Bill Seddon wrote:
"Roy K" wrote in message

I've just been out to buy snow chains for our jolly to France over New

Year,

and Halfords are flogging them for £50 upwards - seems a tad steep to me!

Can anyone recommend a cheaper retail outlet in the East Midlands - or

would

we be better buying them when we get to France?

Roy

Depends if you have an easy to fit car or not. You would hate to find that
the correct size doesn't exist over in France where you need them.

True, but if Halfords stock them they would be available in any of the
large Hypermarches.

Easy fit is essential IMHO.

Agreed. The type that you have to drive on to are a pain in the bum (and
back and legs and whatever other part of your anatomy you bang and
scrape trying to fit cheap chains).

I got some for my big people carrier at
www.skidrive.co.uk, a lot cheaper than my previous set for a Jeep, and on
a trial run very simple to fit.
Stick in your tyre size and up comes a selection and prices. Worth a look
maybe.

Or try eBay?

Old December 16th 03, 07:53 PM
PG

"Bill Seddon" wrote in message
| "Roy K" wrote in message
| I've just been out to buy snow chains for our jolly to France
over New
| Year,
| and Halfords are flogging them for £50 upwards - seems a tad
steep to me!

| Can anyone recommend a cheaper retail outlet in the East
Midlands - or
| would
| we be better buying them when we get to France?
|
| Depends if you have an easy to fit car or not. You would hate
to find that
| the correct size doesn't exist over in France where you need
them.

| Easy fit is essential IMHO. I got some for my big people
carrier at
| www.skidrive.co.uk, a lot cheaper than my previous set for a
Jeep, and on
| a trial run very simple to fit.
| Stick in your tyre size and up comes a selection and prices.
Worth a look
| maybe.

Taking them with you? Such optimism )

I suggest you leave them behind, that usually guarantees a good
dump..........

Pete

Old December 16th 03, 08:22 PM
Ian Spare

On Tue, 16 Dec 2003 20:53:57 +0100, "PG" wrote:

Taking them with you? Such optimism )

I suggest you leave them behind, that usually guarantees a good
dump..........

No I really think all visitors from the UK should have chains or
winter tyres otherwise the poor guy parked next to them has to try and
push them out :-) After Petes daughter destroyed me on about 100m of
skiing the other week, just as I'd got my breath back (about 4 hours
later) I got to the car and the English guy next to me was stuck so I
tried to push him out which just finished the day nicely :-)

Ian
Old December 16th 03, 09:07 PM
wedderburne

wrote:

| Taking them with you? Such optimism )
|
| I suggest you leave them behind, that usually guarantees a
good
| dump..........
|
| No I really think all visitors from the UK should have chains
or
| winter tyres otherwise the poor guy parked next to them has to
try and
| push them out :-) After Petes daughter destroyed me on about
100m of
| skiing the other week, just as I'd got my breath back (about 4
hours
| later) I got to the car and the English guy next to me was
stuck so I
| tried to push him out which just finished the day nicely :-)

Thanks for not mentioning my *original* technique above)

Pete

Old December 17th 03, 02:52 PM
Simon Brown

There is here mate and it's gone cold!

One advantage of buying in the UK - you can spend a day or so working out
how to fit the buggers.

I've had mine 5 years and still don't know how they work, but I'm selling
the car in Feb. so will not need them.
--
Simon Brown
www.hb9drv.ch

"Rob White" wrote in message
Why waste your money - there's no snow

Heavy Snow Warning AstroPax Snowboarding 0 April 18th 04 12:11 AM
Progressing to Deeper Snow Nick Towers Snowboarding 8 March 10th 04 11:29 PM
snow no-one European Ski Resorts 0 October 29th 03 08:27 PM
Whistler snow! VIP Mountain Holidays Snowboarding 1 September 16th 03 09:08 PM
SCGB Historical Snow reports Greg Hilton European Ski Resorts 5 July 31st 03 06:45 PM