Bucket list - one hill, one run...

Old January 26th 13, 03:45 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
Dick G[_4_]

Default Bucket list - one hill, one run...

Been a great season so far, up to 34 days skiing. Got me to thinking
of all the hills I have hit in my life time, which one run I enjoyed
the most, and what hill I have not been to yet would be a dream
destination...
Old January 26th 13, 08:59 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
lal_truckee

On 1/26/13 8:45 AM, Dick G wrote:
Been a great season so far, up to 34 days skiing. Got me to thinking
of all the hills I have hit in my life time, which one run I enjoyed
the most, and what hill I have not been to yet would be a dream
destination...

Lift or no lift?

My lift served dream run would be a specific run off the beginner rope
tow at Dodge Ridge circa 1952 when I aimed my rental wood skis (with
bear trap bindings and rented leather boots) downhill - picked up speed
and rammed headlong into the berm intended to keep skiers out of the
creek. Buried the shovels in the berm and flew over the top breaking
both skis in half (literally) right in front of the toe irons. Cable
heel failed to release (or, also possible) had no release function.

What a thrill. I've considered myself a skier ever since that well
remembered run. I was about 8.

P.S. Remnants of rope from the tows at dodge are still laying on the
ground as of last summer, along with some model A wheels attached to a
lift tower. the remnants are probably from replacements over the years,
but still the memories flood in.
Old January 26th 13, 10:11 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
VtSkier[_3_]

On 1/26/2013 4:59 PM, lal_truckee wrote:
On 1/26/13 8:45 AM, Dick G wrote:
[...]

Nice! My first rope tow experience wasn't so great. Approx. the same
time period, out back of our elementary school (Vermont's mountains come
right down into town). Went up, OK after a couple of tries, came down,
broke ankle. Went to local doc. got casted, ended season for that year.
Went back to cruising the local cemetery until Okemo got built (grew up
in Ludlow) around 1957. Caught the bug big time with better equipment, a
real mountain and good lifts (Poma platter pull). Fun times. A great
story about playing hookey to go ski. You could walk easily from town to
lifts so I did.

One day walked past the restaurant where Rotary club met. At the meeting
were the high school principal, the mountain manager and my father. I
was soooo busted.

Old January 27th 13, 06:12 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
Richard Henry

On Jan 26, 8:45*am, Dick G wrote:
Been a great season so far, up to 34 days skiing. Got me to thinking
of all the hills I have hit in my life time, which one run I enjoyed
the most, and what hill I have not been to yet would be a dream
destination...

It's hard to think of just one run -

My one and only "race", a Standard Race at Jay Peak in the early 60's
where I won a bronze medal, awarded personally by Walter Foeger.

Night skiing at Big Tupper in college days - freezing cold.

The first time I really "got" powder, at Alta in 86 when I joined at
the last minute as an extra player in a trip planned by my wife's
brothers and their friends. We still talk about that trip whenever we
get together.

Many trips with my boys when they were starting out. I learned that
skiing slowly with them allowed me to work on form and style, things
that I had formerly ignored in my quest to get the most runs in a day.

And there was that airline stewardess that jumped onto Chair 18 with
me from the singles line at the last minute . . .
Old January 28th 13, 09:23 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
pigo[_2_]

On Saturday, January 26, 2013 9:45:28 AM UTC-7, Dick G wrote:
Been a great season so far, up to 34 days skiing. Got me to thinking

of all the hills I have hit in my life time, which one run I enjoyed

the most,

High Rustler, 6-7 laps in the waist deep, bottomless for one particular day.. That entire area from Stonecrusher through Eagles Nest time and time again in the deep and bottomless. Gunsight and Eddies High Nowhere sometimes if you catch them right. There's just so many!

Old January 28th 13, 10:24 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
twobuddha twobuddha is offline
Banned

On Monday, January 28, 2013 2:23:03 PM UTC-8, pigo wrote:
On Saturday, January 26, 2013 9:45:28 AM UTC-7, Dick G wrote:

Been a great season so far, up to 34 days skiing. Got me to thinking

of all the hills I have hit in my life time, which one run I enjoyed

the most,

High Rustler, 6-7 laps in the waist deep, bottomless for one particular day. That entire area from Stonecrusher through Eagles Nest time and time again in the deep and bottomless. Gunsight and Eddies High Nowhere sometimes if you catch them right. There's just so many!

Any run following Brain Fried Bob Thompson actually showing up at a meet in Utah and calling me a child molester to my face. On my bucket list, but that will never happen, because being a man is not on Tranny Boob's list. Not that he could be a man if he tried, but at least he knows that.
Old January 28th 13, 10:25 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine

On Sunday, January 27, 2013 11:12:34 AM UTC-8, Richard Henry wrote:
On Jan 26, 8:45*am, Dick G wrote:

[...]

Hey, maybe the cop who blew you off with a FORM EMAIL skis! What a great chairlift ride we could have, laughing at your cowardice!
Contact info?
Old January 29th 13, 03:39 AM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
Goober Jones

Only if you take a bath with soap and you wash your clothes. B.O. doesn't
facilitate a conversation.
Old January 29th 13, 04:06 AM posted to rec.skiing.alpine

On Monday, January 28, 2013 8:39:40 PM UTC-8, Goober Jones wrote:
Only if you take a bath with soap and you wash your clothes. B.O. doesn't

facilitate a conversation.

How pathetic. How utterly juvenile. How old are you? We know Brain Fried Bob Thompson can't help himself due to alcoholic dementia. What's YOUR excuse?
I'd love to meet YOU on a run. Why havn't you shown up at one of the scores of meets I have set throughout ski country? You could get close enough to take a whiff, but keep your distance: I don't want to smell you voiding yourself. Remember your diapers, ppppppppppuuuuuuuuuusssssssssyyyyyyyy. Come to think of it, have you ever gotten out of diapers?
Old January 29th 13, 04:26 AM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
Goober Jones

Got a job, Sparky. I know the concept is foreign to you but look it up in the dictionary.
As far as meeting you is concerned, why would anyone want to hang out with a crude
POS like you? I certainly wouldn't want to expose anyone I care about to a dreg of society
like you. Don't forget the soap and on your next date with that rich doctor, you might want
to leave the salami at home, it doesn't work at AMA dinners. ROFLAO.