Wanna do a 14ner this New Years Eve or Da

Old October 2nd 03, 12:26 AM
BobT

And she said, with a tear in her eye
"Watch out where the huskies go"

Tweezers

Old October 2nd 03, 07:16 AM
BrritSki

Bob Lee wrote:

MoonMan wrote:

Sorry to be an ignorant Brit, but what is a 14ner, apart from a very
succseful conker?

No problem with the Brit-ness, and now that lal answered your question,
what's a conker?

The fruit of a horse-chestnut tree.

They are falling now (or have already fallen) and then the green spiky
(but not prickly) shell splits and a beautiful shiny chestnut brown seed
is revealed, about an inch in diameter. Inedible, but small boys (and
some strange men) drill holes through them and thread one on to a
knotted string and then they play conkers, where one player holds his
conker still while the other player swings his and hits it. Then they
change over and alternate until one conker is smashed to pieces. The
victorious conker goes on and is known by the number of winds, thus a
fiver or the 14ner that Chris referred to. There are various arcane
recipes for hardening your conker (doubtless to appear soon as spam)
such as soaking them in vinegar and/or baking them.
There was some fear reported recently that the drought has caused the
conkers to drop early and be too small so the World Championships may be
cancelled
Google for more info.

Old October 2nd 03, 09:56 AM
Janet

A 14ner is one of the 14,000 foot peaks in the contiguous United States.
(I believe "contiguous" is part of the definition - usually the Alaskan
and Hawaiian 14,000+ peaks are not included? Correct?)

definitely not Hawaii, we don't have any 14,000 foot peaks that I know of.....

BTW Collyradicans misbelieve that they have cornered the market on
14ners, and so assume when speaking of 14ners - as usual, they are
incorrect.

Old October 2nd 03, 06:00 PM
Tommy T.

"Gary S." wrote
I'll let you start counting altitude from the ocean floor, if you
start your hike there.

Being a little inconsistent there aren't you Gary? Where do you start those
Colorado 14ers, Needham?

Tommy T.

Explanations for the uninitiated number 1: some Colorado 14ers have roads
clear to the top and others can be approached by 4 wheel drive or mountain
bike or horse. For purposes of claiming an ascent of a 14er, various
standards have been suggested. One frequently asserted rule is that one
should hike/climb at least 3000 feet to claim a 14er.

Explanations for the uninitiated number 2: Gary S. lives in a town near the
Atlantic Ocean where the lowest parts are barely above mean high tide.

Old October 2nd 03, 06:45 PM
Janet

In article , Idontwantspam@net
wrote:

On Wed, 01 Oct 2003 23:56:30 -1000, (Janet) wrote:

A 14ner is one of the 14,000 foot peaks in the contiguous United States.
(I believe "contiguous" is part of the definition - usually the Alaskan
and Hawaiian 14,000+ peaks are not included? Correct?)

definitely not Hawaii, we don't have any 14,000 foot peaks that I know of.....

BTW Collyradicans misbelieve that they have cornered the market on
14ners, and so assume when speaking of 14ners - as usual, they are
incorrect.

Mauna Kea comes pretty close, though, at 13,667 feet.

Happy trails,
Gary (net.yogi.bear)

My reference says..13,796 feet and 32,000 feet from the ocean floor.

http://hvo.wr.usgs.gov/volcanoes/maunakea/

I've summited it many times.....*G* However not under my own steam. It was
a lot more adventurous before they paved most of the road. Probably be
safer to walk....it's a scary drive down. People here bring home
truckloads of snow to play with. It's always a little strange seeing a
snowman on my neighbor's lawn.

Growing up here I somehow began to relate snow with high altitude and lack
of oxygen. When I finally got to the mainland and experienced winter
weather I remember starting to run around in the snow, stopping, and
reminding myself that I'd get dizzy if I kept it up. It took me a second
to process the fact that I was at the same altitude I was before it
started snowing and all was fine.

Janet
Old October 2nd 03, 07:27 PM
Tracy Lorraine Smith

Horse chestnuts are also known in American English as "Buckeyes".
But the kind that go around smashing each other are usually wearing
red and white uniforms on Saturday afternoons ;-).

Tracy Lorraine Smith
Native Ohioan