Best Intermediate Resorts Colorado

Old November 8th 04, 12:06 AM
Kevin Harper

Default Best Intermediate Resorts Colorado

Hi everyone, we are heading to Colorado in February. We are
intermediates looking for long blue cruisers only. We are going to
stay in Frisco and were thinking of Keystone, Copper, Vail, and
Snowmass; I do want to ski at Vail regardless. Any suggestions would
be appreciated, such as when to ski the resorts. We will be there on a
Saturday through Tuesday; I would like to go to the resorts on
Saturday and Sunday that would have the smallest crowds. Also, how
long to allow for the trip from Frisco to Snowmass? Or should we skip
that one for Breck maybe.
Thanks,
Kevin
Old November 8th 04, 02:34 AM
CParker

"Kevin Harper" wrote in message
Hi everyone, we are heading to Colorado in February. We are
intermediates looking for long blue cruisers only. We are going to
stay in Frisco and were thinking of Keystone, Copper, Vail, and
Snowmass; I do want to ski at Vail regardless. Any suggestions would
be appreciated, such as when to ski the resorts. We will be there on a
Saturday through Tuesday; I would like to go to the resorts on
Saturday and Sunday that would have the smallest crowds. Also, how
long to allow for the trip from Frisco to Snowmass? Or should we skip
that one for Breck maybe.
Thanks,
Kevin

It is about 120 miles, and a 2 hour drive to Snowmass.(In good weather)
Breckenridge is much larger and much closer.

C.

Old November 8th 04, 08:49 PM
Dave Stallard

Stretch wrote:

For my money, your best choices are Snowmass, Steamboat, and Vail.
Crowds are usually not an issue at either Snowmass or Steamboat, so I
recommend doing Vail on a weekday or two, and heading to Snowmass or
the Boat for weekend days. You should know that those enticing long
blues on Copper's trailmap are infested with numerous slow skiing
zones. I'm an intermediate and really like Copper, but if you want
room to move and love to cruise long blues, Snowmass is the place.

I agree that Snowmass is great, and has the best cruising terrain. I
would put Snowmass up against the Vail frontside any day.

FWIW, I don't like Vail that much. For one thing, I don't like looking
down the hill and seeing a massive interstate, with a separate side road
for trucks, etc., while I'm skiing. But that's just me.

Steamboat is OK, though it's topographically kind of complicated.

If you do insist on Vail/Beaver Creek, but want to ski other places,
you're probably stuck with the Keystone/Copper option. But seriously, I
would NOT try to cram too much into this vacation if I were you. Why
not pick one large resort or resort group and do just that one? You
said you were skiing Saturday through Tuesday - you mean just 4 days?

Dave
Old November 9th 04, 04:43 AM
J. Urrrk

"Dave Stallard" wrote in message
Stretch wrote:

For my money, your best choices are Snowmass, Steamboat, and

Vail.
Crowds are usually not an issue at either Snowmass or Steamboat,

so I
recommend doing Vail on a weekday or two, and heading to Snowmass

or
the Boat for weekend days. You should know that those enticing

long
blues on Copper's trailmap are infested with numerous slow skiing
zones. I'm an intermediate and really like Copper, but if you

want
room to move and love to cruise long blues, Snowmass is the

place.

I agree that Snowmass is great, and has the best cruising terrain.

would put Snowmass up against the Vail frontside any day.

Snowmass is worth a full vacation by itself, and given it's location
(a long way from nowhere, except Aspen) it prolly should be
considered as such.

FWIW, I don't like Vail that much. For one thing, I don't like

looking
down the hill and seeing a massive interstate, with a separate side

road for trucks, etc., while I'm skiing. But that's just me.

Vail's really big, almost too big. And there's lots of terrain where
you can't see the interstate. The thing I like about Vail is that
every run feels like it's in a different county. I always have a good
ski day at Vail.

Beaver Creek is a ways further out, but it's worth checking out. The
thing about Beaver creak is that it's about four times bigger than it
looks on the trail map. The layout looks like a much smaller ski
area, but the trails are big, wide, and far apart. It's really the
"I like big butts and I cannot lie" of ski areas.

-J Urrrk Esq.

Old November 10th 04, 05:20 PM
Dave Stallard

J. Urrrk wrote:

Snowmass is worth a full vacation by itself, and given it's location
(a long way from nowhere, except Aspen) it prolly should be
considered as such.

Agree, though, on my Snowmass trip, I skiied a day each at Aspen
Highlands and Aspen mountain proper, aka Ajax. I thought Highlands was
a lot of fun, mostly because of the long, long cruise you can take down
the center of the thing. But I think one day would be enough for
Highlands.

Ajax itself I didn't think was anything so great as far as intermediate
terrain goes. Very small area by western standards. But, it's right
there in town, and of course has the fabled name. Maybe we could call
it the Stowe of the West?

There's also Buttermilk (whoops, they've probably changed the name by
now), but that's very small and more of a beginner mountain. Never been
there.

Dave
Old November 11th 04, 06:48 AM
Hank Sniadoch

I wasn't impressed with any of the ski areas in Aspen .... I didn't like the
long bus ride to Snowmass either. I'd prefer to ski Vail ..... Jackson Hole
...... even Steamboat ......