Revenge of the Snurfer!

Old February 19th 08, 05:57 AM posted to rec.skiing.alpine,rec.skiing.snowboard

Default Revenge of the Snurfer!

On Feb 14, 11:30*pm, Walt wrote:
It's BAAAACK!!!!

http://travel.nytimes.com/2008/02/15...oard.html?8dpc

//Walt

Interesting article; thank you. Some observations:

1. They are giving the "inventor" of the "no-board" too much credit
for starting something new, IMO. What he's really done is resurrect
the Snurfer, as you point out. The only difference between a no-board
and a Snurfer appears to be that the no-board is based on a modern
snowboard rather than a crappy piece of plastic.

2. As trend pieces go, this one is probably a bit premature. The
author claims that no-boarding is "catching on," but also admits,
"Estimates of how many people are abandoning their snowboard hardware
are hard to come by, but Mr. Burns says his company has sold 600 kits
so far. And there are others who make their own kits in cellars and
garages." 600, huh? The Olympics can't be far off.

3. No-boarding seems suitable only for soft, deep snow. I would not
want to attempt it on hardpack, and I don't want to picture the
carnage from trying to ride Eastern ice without bindings. It's awful
even with bindings.

4. No-boarding also doesn't seem like a good fit for resorts. (I
wonder whether resorts might initially ban no-boards if people tried
to use them -- snowboard history might repeat itself.) People complain
about out-of-control riders (and sometimes skiers) on crowded slopes;
imagine a binderless no-boarder swooping down and struggling just to
turn in the right direction. And how would they get to the top of the
slopes? They wouldn't be able to ride a lift in the conventional way;
would they be allowed to carry their boards (and maybe drop them on
someone's head)?

Joe Ramirez
Old February 20th 08, 02:53 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine,rec.skiing.snowboard
snoig

On Feb 18, 10:57*pm, wrote:
1. They are giving the "inventor" of the "no-board" too much credit
for starting something new, IMO. What he's really done is resurrect
the Snurfer, as you point out. The only difference between a no-board
and a Snurfer appears to be that the no-board is based on a modern
snowboard rather than a crappy piece of plastic.

Actually, the original Snurfer was a not so crappy piece of plywood if
I remember correctly. And I actually rode one a few times back when I
was a kid.

Something like this is worthless once the snow has been broken up. It
can really only be used on unbroken snow. I've seen some films on RSN
where some surfer dudes takes their surf boards out and ride them in
the back country. So this entire article is really a big 'so what,
people have been doing that for years'.

snoig
Old February 20th 08, 10:03 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine,rec.skiing.snowboard

On Feb 20, 9:53*am, snoig wrote:
On Feb 18, 10:57*pm, wrote:

1. They are giving the "inventor" of the "no-board" too much credit
for starting something new, IMO. What he's really done is resurrect
the Snurfer, as you point out. The only difference between a no-board
and a Snurfer appears to be that the no-board is based on a modern
snowboard rather than a crappy piece of plastic.

Actually, the original Snurfer was a not so crappy piece of plywood if
I remember correctly. *And I actually rode one a few times back when I
was a kid.

Something like this is worthless once the snow has been broken up. *It
can really only be used on unbroken snow. *I've seen some films on RSN
where some surfer dudes takes their surf boards out and ride them in
the back country. *So this entire article is really a big 'so what,
people have been doing that for years'.

But without the imprimatur of a trend piece in the New York Times.
That alone must make it more worth doing.

Joe Ramirez