V2 on inlines: easy as pie!

Old August 31st 03, 03:49 PM
Fitzgerald

Default V2 on inlines: easy as pie!

You are right about V2 on inlines. The balance is much less of an issue on 5
or 4 wheels. I can V2 no sweat on inlines but like Jeff can't really dial it
in all the time on the roller skis.
Fitzgerald

Old September 1st 03, 02:45 AM
Gene Goldenfeld

Oh, I was thinking more of open field for point b). For V2, there a drill
on grass that is often done at clinics, where one makes the double-poling
motion (w/o poles) and then jumps strongly to the side to the other foot.
Back and forth, side to side, with little if any forward motion. I've
never understood it's relevance until this summer, when I realized how
directly it translates to rollerskis.

Gene

Gene Goldenfeld wrote:

Well, "all the time" is asking for a lot on any surface. What I've found
key for myself and watching others succeed and fail on *rollerskis* are...
a)turning the foot/knee for the next skate early in the previous one and
making sure it's up alongskide the skating foot (vs. lagging behind);
b)getting each skate down in close rather than reaching out, which allows
for a longer ride with torso on top and thus more time to complete the
poling;
c)raising the hands to shoulder height before poling (also feel of chest
rising), which gives more upper body leverage and helps keep the weight
over the ski for a longer ride; and
d)using a short, snappy (or quick) poling motion with the hands stopping at
about the back of the hips.

Old September 1st 03, 02:58 PM
Jeff Potter

Yeah, I like that dryland drill. Feels good! And I do bring it over to help my
stability on rollerskis.

For me, watching how my hand clears my hips helps add stability to rollerski V2,
for some reason. It needs to be nice, crisp, flicky, with extended arms and not
too much pole-drive past that. I also have to watch how I set the ski
down---that helps.

Anyway, I did inline skate-poling yesterday and it was mostly lame. Easy to V2
but so unlike real V2 and it didn't even feel very good, no swingy rhythm to it,
too fast. Open Field felt nicer. But it all was too fast pretty much.

I found a live cicada and put it in my pocket to bring home and show the kids.
It buzzed.

I found a dead blue racer and carried it home to show the kids. It just hung
there.

Inline skating is pretty nice though just as inline skating! : ) ---Do some
down slow speed skate action (with or without snake). It feels best to me though
with tossing the leg out to the rear quarter rather than doing the heel push
forward drill. I kinda hate enjoying incorrect technique and this dampens my fun
a bit. What a goof.

--

Jeff Potter
****