BC Cat and Heli skiing/boarding. Book or review site?

Old March 5th 04, 09:08 PM
toddjb

Default BC Cat and Heli skiing/boarding. Book or review site?

Does anyone know of a book or a web site that offers detailed
reviews of the dozens of cat and heli-skiing sites in BC?

We are starting to plan a trip for next year and although I find
lists of many sites and their web pages, I haven't come across many
reviews.

It'd be nice to find out, for particularly the cat skiing operations;
how much terrain they access, size, lodging, skill levels catered to, etc...

Thanks,
-todd
Old March 31st 04, 10:28 AM
Tom Bertheau

I am also interested in an independent description of the operators.
It seems there is nothing like this available.

Older issues of the German
- ADAC Ski Atlas
http://images-eu.amazon.com/images/P...3.LZZZZZZZ.jpg
and
- DSV Ski Atlas
http://images-eu.amazon.com/images/P...3.LZZZZZZZ.jpg
had only a few pages on BC heli-skiing without individual
descriptions, comparisons, run maps etc.
I don't have current 2004 issue, so I can not comment on today's
status.

I also don't know if there is something in "Where To Ski and Snowboard
Worldwide: The Reuters Guide". Can someone report on this?

At least a nice overview of all major operations can be found he
http://www.bchssoa.com/, then read or download the 2 MB PDF document
called "Socio-Economic Benefits of Helicopter & Snowcat Skiing in
British Columbia - June 2002" and go to page 20.

Tom

Old April 5th 04, 04:37 PM
Let Mikey Ski It!

Tom Bertheau wrote:

I am also interested in an independent description of the operators.
It seems there is nothing like this available.

See my web page below for a couple of trip reports for Selkirk-Tangiers
Heliskiing out of Revelstoke, BC, if that helps. The reports provide a
review of what we experienced, which has been very positive each time we
went. They are not vertical drivers like CMH. I do not believe they even
keep track of your lifetime vertical nor do they encourage reaching
vertical milestones. Instead of an awards banquet the last night to hand
out vertical awards, we go partying with the group, guides and pilots.

(Not affiliated)

Mike...

--
See my ski photography at: http://PowderDay.us
Carpe powder-diem
Old April 6th 04, 06:40 AM
Tom Bertheau

I am also interested in an independent description of the operators.
It seems there is nothing like this available.

See my web page below for a couple of trip reports for Selkirk-Tangiers
Heliskiing out of Revelstoke, BC, if that helps. The reports provide a
review of what we experienced, which has been very positive each time we
went. They are not vertical drivers like CMH. I do not believe they even
keep track of your lifetime vertical nor do they encourage reaching
vertical milestones. Instead of an awards banquet the last night to hand
out vertical awards, we go partying with the group, guides and pilots.

(Not affiliated)

Mike...

So do Selkirk-Tangiers ski the steeper stuff? (As you need to spend
more time to get down safe in steep terrain and will therefore end up
with less vertical daily.)

I even consider AK for one of my next trips, as there some operators
say they ski mostly the steeps and this in a one by one fashion:
In Alaska, we ski one by one, safe zone to safe zone and
NOT like are Canadian competitors skiing down in a large
group of 10-12 all at once. Sometime's runs can take up to
2 hours given all the mitigation that goes on, durring the
given descent.

Sounds really more interesting than the "snow farming" of the BC
operators.

Tom
Old April 6th 04, 01:27 PM
Let Mikey Ski It!

Tom Bertheau wrote:

So do Selkirk-Tangiers ski the steeper stuff? (As you need to spend
more time to get down safe in steep terrain and will therefore end up
with less vertical daily.)

Not really (40 deg). I believe in general, you will find interior BC
operators not getting you on steep stuff just due to snow safety
concerns. It is not the same snow pack as the coast. We get steep either
in the trees or after long periods of stability. This last trip got us a
couple 40+ degree open shots that were awesome. But, in general, if
steep is your criteria, go AK. The heli-pitches are still plenty fun and
will sort out your group. If you get up on the glaciers, you then
substitute beauty for pitch.

NOT like are Canadian competitors skiing down in a large
group of 10-12 all at once. ...

We never ski all at once. S-T generally always insists on spacing with
larger amounts required as the exposure increases and it is our group's
mindset. Some of us joined another less experienced group when we had
exceeded our vertical and saw a different style. Once the guide took
off, they all went (but is was in the trees). We just looked at each
other and raised our eyebrows. :0

Mike...