how to choose all-mountain skis?

Old December 22nd 04, 12:15 AM
Mike Treseler

When it was yellow it was named Mod X.
Blue was Axis X
I guess now it's a red Apache X.

I like that it is very stable but easy to turn
on groomed, mogels and powder.
Doesn't get twitchy on the run-out,
or floppy in the crud.

Try it and see.

-- Mike Treseler

Old December 22nd 04, 02:17 AM
Monique Y. Mudama

On 2004-12-22, Bob Lee penned:

That's a pretty good angle, and if you just happen to inadvertently fall in
love with some skis you can tip the odds in your favor if you get something
nice for your hubster just before you break the news. Think power tools or
black lace.

Unfortunately, we've both caught on to the fact that "one for you, one for me;
two for you, two for me" just leads to bigger bills.

I think he's partly in shock because he was able to buy a pair of boots off
the shelf for maybe $200 and wear them comfortably with no adjustment. So the
fact that I dropped over a grand on a pair of boots is hard to swallow (for
both of us), despite the fact that after two days on them, and some discomfort
in the left boot, they're already the most pain-free ski boot I've ever owned.

--
monique
Longmont, CO

Old December 22nd 04, 02:27 AM
lal_truckee

Bob Lee wrote:
Think power tools or black lace.

I like it. She could present in the evening, with the lights turned low,
incense burning, and a fine wine on the bedside table, wearing black
lace holding a new Milwaukee Sawzall.

Skies are guaranteed.

Old December 22nd 04, 06:42 PM
Monique Y. Mudama

On 2004-12-22, Mike Treseler penned:
When it was yellow it was named Mod X. Blue was Axis X I guess now it's a
red Apache X.

I like that it is very stable but easy to turn on groomed, mogels and
powder. Doesn't get twitchy on the run-out, or floppy in the crud.

Try it and see.

-- Mike Treseler

Perhaps I'll be able to, this weekend.

--
monique
Longmont, CO

Old December 22nd 04, 06:42 PM
Monique Y. Mudama

On 2004-12-20, lal_truckee penned:
Monique Y. Mudama wrote:

Well, powder and crud/slop are my two biggest problem areas, so ... getting
a ski that's more work in those conditions might not be my best move. I
see that once again, I haven't been detailed enough in describing my
question =)

Like I said - it's not difficult. If you run gates, you know how to carve -
slop and crud are easier than hardback because edge-set is trivial.

Let's not get ahead of ourselves. I participated in one recreational
race in which I had to ski around flags. My goal was to get a finishing
time, which I did. I wouldn't go assuming that I know how to run gates
or how to carve well =P

Just hold the arc and don't try to skid. Slop and crud will not
forgive a skidder. Wide skis try to help a skier by keeping them on
top of the crud and slop so they can skid a bit - IMO it doesn't work
- you sacrifice being able to power-care through the crud for bouncing
around on top of the crud.

We're back to the psychology of skiing. I've had some unpleasant experiences
with "mashed potatoes/cement" type snow grabbing my skis and messing up my
knee, so I'm afraid of crud, so I expect it to betray me, so I don't commit
enough and sure enough, it does ...

I'm not sure how to get over that psychological mess.

I'm not looking for very wide skis; but I'd like to try some that are wider at
the waist than what I have. It can't hurt to compare.

Powder is a completely different medium because it's three dimensional - for
powder you want a soft even flexing ski so you can be centered and not feel
as if you must be back to force the tips up. Soft even flex ski tips come up
on their own. Plus suitable powder skis, as I said, are dirt cheap if you
look around.

What you've said makes a lot of sense; I just don't like the idea of having
different skis for different conditions. If I were going heliskiing, sure,
but for lift ticket skiing, I want a single pair that I can use somewhat
effectively on everything, including powder.

So: A GS ski works fine and IMO better and easier than a wide waist ski in
crud and slop. A wide waist ski is crap on the hardpack and ridiculous in
the gates. You want one ski for most conditions that will still be usable in
gates and groomers - go GS. You want to pretend to solve your crud and slop
difficulties and sacrifice groomers and gates altogether, maybe a wide ski
will be OK. Maybe.

What do you consider to be a wide ski?

--
monique
Longmont, CO

Old December 22nd 04, 06:47 PM
Monique Y. Mudama

On 2004-12-20, MattB penned:

The pair I love are not huge and fat like some trendier skis. I see them as
a more sensible evolution of the ski rather than a revolution.

Hey Matt, what are the dimensions of these skis you love? At what point do
they go from being pleasantly wide-waisted to fat? =P

--
monique
Longmont, CO

Old December 22nd 04, 07:22 PM
MattB

On 2004-12-20, MattB penned:

The pair I love are not huge and fat like some trendier skis. I see them as
a more sensible evolution of the ski rather than a revolution.

Hey Matt, what are the dimensions of these skis you love? At what point do
they go from being pleasantly wide-waisted to fat? =P

Not being a big stats guy, I don't know off the top of my head. They are
Salomon Super Mountains from 2000 (or so). Mine are medium which are 186
cm. This was the shortest ski I've skied since Jr. High when I got them.

OK, a little googling tells me they are 110-78-100. I believe that's
still considered "mid-fat". These are kind of stiff, but I love how they
ski when skied aggressively. You would likely prefer something a bit softer.

Matt (no problems at all with a little "junk in da trunk")

Old December 22nd 04, 09:15 PM
Bruno Melli

In article ,
Bob Lee writes:
Here's what I suggest - look for something in the 74-80mm range for the
waist, about a 108-120mm tip, with a middling flex (not soft, not
stiff).

I agree: A "midfat" is a better all around ski for the non racer than
a GS ski. They are just more fun than the old stiffy skis used to be,
especially if you start doing bumps.
I have skied for years on GS skis (Dynamic VR27, Rossi EXs, Dynastar G9) but
you'd have to pry my current twintips (Dynastar Candide) out of my dead
fingers. I don't do the terrain park so you'll have to ask one of the
"young punks" how they perform there, but I routinely ski (mostly bumps)
with them. And they hold an edge well enough that I can get a
gold medal at the local NASTAR course without trying too hard.
(This is a good way to show my kids they have some ways to go before
they catch up :-)

For info, their dimensions are (tip/waist/tail) 103/72/95 mm so basically
right around what Bob describes. Pick a ski like that between mouth and eye
level and go have fun.

bruno.

Old December 23rd 04, 03:14 AM
The Real Bev

On 2004-12-21, MattB penned:

It's funny, I forget all of these tips after not being coached for the
last decade. I'd like to think I just do them all naturally now, but the
truth is probably more like I just do most of them naturally and learn
to compensate for other bad habits that creep back in without someone
shouting at me while I ski.
It is nice to ski without being shouted at. Unless it's shouting like
"Woo-hoo! Yeah! Nice!". But that makes my helmet tighter.

Have you thought about taking the occasional lesson? In addition to the fact
that I still have a lot to learn, I like lessons because they keep me honest.
I can't deal with it when my husband makes suggestions, but I take it very
well from an instructor.

It's way easier to take advice from strangers than from a significant
other, but I don't deal well with lectures -- my natural inclination is
to say (or at least think) "Oh yeah?" more often than not, and that's a
nuisance.

The better you are, the fewer people are in your lesson. For you, it would
probably be an effectively private guided tour through the gnarliest stuff on
the mountain, with suggestions thrown in. On the flip side, if your
personality can take it, maybe you could ask some experienced friends to watch
you and comment on what they see.

Excellent, especially if you have enough friends that you don't bug any
one of them too frequently. Works for computers too.

Also, unlike coaches, instructors don't yell at you =P

On a mostly unrelated note, the goalie for my ice hockey team recently went
skiing for the first time. She explained that she's not the type of person to
take lessons. A few of us, some much better skiers than I, looked at each
other and one said, "Well, not taking lessons is a good way to get yourself
killed, if you're skiing."

Not really, some people just have to work it out for themselves. Read,
think, experiment, succeed (or not). Asking somebody who knows "What am
I doing wrong?" and getting a useful answer isn't the same as a lesson.
Whenever I've taken ANY class in anything I already have some experience
in I've had to wait impatiently through the stuff I already know before
getting to a useful nugget of info.

So how did she do?

I'm a huge fan of lessons; I'll take a lesson in
just about anything I want to learn. I love benefitting from the experience
of those who've come before me. Really hard for me to understand the "lessons
bad" mentality.

Lessons bad, books good.

--
Cheers,
Bev

Old December 23rd 04, 03:43 AM
Stephen B.

On 2004-12-21, VtSkier penned:
Monique Y. Mudama wrote:

Anyway. There are several ways to ski moguls. I can't help you with

the
type you see on TV, where the skier's knees are just bouncing up and

down
and there's no apparent lateral motion. Even if I had the guts and
reflexes to do that, I value my knees pretty highly.

Me too.

I definatly agree. I just want to be able to bomb down with more confidence
and keep up with my brother.

[snip]

This sound like it will work well but it also seems like a lot to think
about in bumps. Wouldn't it work better to learn this on something less
bumpy? Where you don't have to think so fast? This so that your body is
doing the remembering and not your head.

Just to be clear, I wasn't posting this stuff because I wanted advice; I'm
happy with the techniques mentioned. I posted it because someone asked me

do so. I felt immediate results when I used this technique; not only did

it
keep my skis in the snow, it gave me a much greater feeling of control.

Thank you both for your responses. I will have to read and think about your
comments more carefully. I definitely think I have a lot of the problems
Monique described, and know that I face the ice VtSkier described. I have
marked them and will study them more when I am awake, before I head up to
Okemo on my first trip of the season in just over a week. Though I suspect
that trip I will be busy pushing my nephew to ski better and getting used to
my new skis (my first shaped skis). The new skis should make a big
difference being shorter and more maneuverable, but I also will definitely
review your comments after I finish my Christmas shopping.

Stephen
NYC