Flies ... flies ... flies !

Old August 26th 03, 11:03 PM
J999w

Default Flies ... flies ... flies !

Headed out for my first workout since the big bike crash last tuesday. Finally
feeling somewhat normal again. Been an expensive week, so the new bike helmet
is gonna have to wait until next paycheck (friday), so I headed out on an
hour's hike in local Whitnal Park (huge).

I ventured through a few short paths in the woods and got chewed up fiercely.
Guess it's too early for any serious hiking around here ! 1 hour - 3 miles. 90
F, sunny.

jw
milwaukee
Old August 27th 03, 12:38 AM
John O'Connell

JW,

This past weekend was the first time all summer that I did not get attacked
roller sking or hiking in Cumberland (Northwest across the state from you
about 60 miles south of Hayward). It seems like every summer a particular
insect is at its peak and this year it has been the biting black flies. I
actually started wearing a doo-rag under my helmet to keep the little
buggers off my scalp, not enough hair anymore to be an effective barrier. I
can out run em' on a bike but on rollerskis I must look like a burger and
fries.

By the way your bike crash story was an eye opener for me. I have been
slipping in an excuse mode recently when it has been warm in the Twin Cities
and talking myself out of wearing the helmet....it's only the Gateway trail,
no cars to worry about....I don't go that fast double poling
classical...this is a flat course, no downhills to worry about...etc.etc.

I'm back to using it full time, hope you are recovering well.

John OC
St. Paul
Cumberland (whenever I can)

Old August 27th 03, 08:08 PM
J999w

I'm back to using it full time, hope you are recovering well.

John OC

Thanks, still stiff and sore, but got my stitches taken out last night at work
(hospital perk?) and the bruising on my right arm is more purple and red, less
yellow. Back to the flies today.

John Wilke
Milwaukee
Old August 30th 03, 05:36 AM
J999w

What kind of flies? Its been so dry here in northern WI that there is very
little in the way of biting insects.

g.c.

Deer flies I imagine, although I'm no expert in fly indentification.

:^]

Anybody ever see 10,000 motorcycles in one place? Tomorrow's the big parade.

jw
milwaukee