anyone can give some tips of how to select a snowboard as a beginner

Old January 12th 04, 02:37 PM
james

Default anyone can give some tips of how to select a snowboard as a beginner

anyone can give some tips of how to select a snowboard as a beginner

i am 180cm 75kg
thanx
Old January 13th 04, 12:03 AM
TomTom

Buy something that is within a few centimeters of your nose (or between your
nose & eyes), this length will give you something to grow into.

Honestly, more important than the board is comfortable boots & quality
bindings. You can spend $99 on a board and it will serve you well your first
year. I ride an Airwalk B1 board that I paid $109 for, it's my second board
for messing about, and I have been riding for 6 seasons now. I actually have
more fun riding my cheap board sometimes just due to the all-mountain
rideability. My other board is a Palmer Honeycomb which is built for speed &
wide turns.

Good Luck
-T

"james" wrote in message
m...
anyone can give some tips of how to select a snowboard as a beginner

i am 180cm 75kg
thanx

---

Old January 13th 04, 12:16 AM
Mike T

Buy something that is within a few centimeters of your nose (or
between your
nose & eyes), this length will give you something to grow into.

There's more to it than length - I recommend looking for something with
a relatively soft flex which will make it easier to learn how to turn.
Make sure the width is appropriate for your foot size - when you set it
up with bindings and get into them, ideally you should have about half
an inch (1.25 cm) of overhang, give or take. If ytour board is too
wide, it will be harder to go from heelside turns to toseide turns and
vice versa. If it's too narrow, your heels and toes will catch on the
snow and you'll fall more often.

Honestly, more important than the board is comfortable boots & quality
bindings. You can spend $99 on a board and it will serve you well your

first
year.

Agreed. Boots are the most important, and especially when you're just
getting into the sport, it's 90% about fit, 10% about features and
fashion. (Keeping in mind that boots with really crappy construction
and crappy features generally don't fit anyone except for a store
mannequin ;*) ) My suggestion for first-time buyers has been:

Spend whatever you need to in order to get boots that fit properly and
are comfy

Then buy a pair of bindings that works with them. If you buy used,
make sure they are in good condition.

Use whatever is left on a board, buying used if necessary. If you end
buying something that's really beat up, at least make sure the edges are
intact and the core isn't showing thought the base - you can always
spend $40 USD or so later and get it tuned.

Mike T

Old January 13th 04, 09:03 AM
Playdreamer

"james" wrote in message
m...
anyone can give some tips of how to select a snowboard as a beginner

i am 180cm 75kg
thanx

This question gets asked a lot so I recently wrote down some of my thoughts
on the matter he
http://www.snowgo.com/archives/2003/..._snowboard.php.
There is no substitute for trying a few boards but it may give you some
pointers.

Luke

http://www.snowgo.com

Old January 13th 04, 09:15 AM
james

thanks a lot for your so kindly.
i am in mainland China, so there is few brands to choose and the
sonwboarding is not very popular here. there will be many things about
snowboard need your help.
thans again

james