SEPARATED SHOULDER

Old March 23rd 06, 08:17 AM

Default SEPARATED SHOULDER

Anyone separate their shoulder before? This past Sunday I landed on the tip
of my left shoulder and it caused a 3rd degree A/C separation. The
surgeons talked me out of surgery and I will be wearing a brace for up to
six weeks to try to have the best result I can get with how much the
collarbone sticks up (strength and range of motion shouldn't be a problem
either way). That's if I can last that long, it's been less than 48 hours
so far.

It happened going over a bump with a pretty good drop off that I've gone
over many times in the past. I just let my board go a few degrees to the
right of straight, as I went over the bump, and caught my heel edge towards
the tip of the board . It flipped me, in a split second, down the hill
right onto my shoulder. I guess I'm lucky it wasn't my head or neck.
Unfortunately it was on a pretty hard, groomed part of the run. The week
prior in the same spot and it would have been like hitting a pillow.

Oh well, had a trip planned for Kirkwood later today, now my wife and kids
are going without me. Would have been my first time there.

Take care, Stan.

Old March 23rd 06, 08:38 AM

Stan wrote:
[...]

Not done it, but had a few shoulder impacts before that hurt like hell -
guess I've been lucky and you haven't. Good luck with the healing process!

Old March 23rd 06, 03:40 PM

I've had one second-degree and maybe two first degree shoulder
separations playing ice hockey. Are you sure you have a third-degree
separate, from my understand the definition of third-degree (complete
tear) always requires surgury... here's the breakdown I've known

first degree - no separation/looseness in the joint, rest for 5-7 days
second degree - complete separation, joint is stretch/partially torn,
but still connect, rest is 2-3 weeks
third degree - joint and ligaments are torn, surgury is required else
range of motion is lost.

http://orthopedics.about.com/cs/shou...paration_2.htm
http://www.physicaltherapywebsites.c...separation.asp

I would definitely recommend getting a second opinion. Since you are in
the Bay area, I suggest getting an appointment with either that SOAR
group (http://www.soarmedical.com/index/home.html) or Gary Fanton in
particular as he just left the SOAR group to start with Palo Alto
Medical Foundation I think (http://www.sportsmed.com/). He and the rest
of the SOAR doctors are the team doctors for the SF 49ers, Giants, and
Stanford/Santa Clara college teams.

Good luck,
--Arvin

Old March 23rd 06, 04:20 PM

Best of luck dude, remember to tuck those arms next time. It feels
unnatural but if you have a helmet on the fall is not bad at all. I
got a second degree seperation a couple years ago from throwing out my
arms to break the fall, now I just try to remember to keep the limbs
close by and let the bod take the brunt of the fall.

Better get another opinion also, if that is not fixed correctly your
shoulder will pop out when the wind blows. That will have your wife
opening all your pickle jars from now on. Took me about a half year
to get my shoulder straight and it was not torn.

Old March 23rd 06, 04:30 PM

Certainly a second opinion is in store if you can afford it....
I've separated my shoulders more than 4 times (3 clavicle breaks and
a dislocate added to the 4), and each, you could see the tip of the
shoulder dropped about a good 3" below the clavicle area. Huge
swelling above the clavicle, obviously sports takes a backseat for up
to 6 weeks.
I was racing MX for 6 years.
Blocked feeling in the shoulderblade area, almost no movement
possible for 4 weeks, every one healed completely within a year or so.
I'm a surfer also, so when separates heal, I can really paddle again.
Never went to Doc, but my surfing friends ARE medical Docs, and
usually start up racing as soon as I could brush my teeth with that arm.

Old March 23rd 06, 05:20 PM

Thanks for all the replies. Actually the thinking is leaning away from
surgery for 3rd degrees, which I was more than willing to have done. It's
also a surgery that can be done after the fact without problem. The
thinking is that the repairs are subject to their own complications and the
results are very similar.

It is a 3rd Degree AC separation, all three ligaments are torn, possibly a 3
plus. The surgeon I consulted with put me through a thorough exam and for
the moment talked me out of it. He has had both shoulders with similar
problems in the past and opted for no surgery himself, he said surgeons
always opt for no surgery for some reason. Anyway, I'll wear the brace for
a while to see if I "scar" up okay. I could actually go without it and
start range of motion excersises right now but thought I'd go the extra mile
to see how it goes.

My arms actually weren't away from my body. I landed right on the tip of my
shoulder. Like diving off of your kitchen counter with your arms at your
side and having the first thing hit the ground being the tip of your
shoulder. Reading posts at shoulder1.com, it appears a pretty common
injury, especially to mountain bikers.

Arvin thanks for the info, I won't hesitate to get a second opinion if I
come to the conclusion I need one. I'm actually in the Sacramento area but
will keep your info handy.

Stan.

oups.com...

Old March 23rd 06, 09:06 PM

Ouch, I had a mate who fell onto his shoulder. The ball part smashed the
socket into about 6 pieces. The surgeons originally didn't want to operate
and said his shoulder was screwed. After about 3 second opinions he got the
socket pinned. It took about 6 months to get to about 50% movement and 10%
strength. Three years later he has about 80% movement, 50% strength, crappy
long term outlook as the bone is now soft and is in need of further surgery.
Having said that he went back on the same mountain after 12 months, he's
also had one week in the mountain so far this year and is going off to
Whistler for 20 days over Easter. Respect!
So don't let any injury stop you doing your stuff but let it heal somewhat
before "testing" it.
Good Luck.

Old March 26th 06, 06:00 PM

Hi Stan,

It sounds like you are getting good advice from your doctor. I had a
bad separation after a mountain bike wreck. I went back and forth on
having it repaired.

Doing nothing is an excellent suggestion. It is not uncommon for
professional football players, including quarterbacks to have unrepaired
3rd degrees and they, obviously, depend on shoulder stability more than
an average schmoe like me.

In my case, my clavicle was poking through the deltoid and I got it
repaired. Because I'm an idiot, I went back to biking and everthing
else while the staples were still in, and worked out the "deck screw"
that they had used to repair it. My shoulder looks about as bad as when
I wrecked, I have big honking scar, and it still aches.

You can get a second opinion, but the second guy may have a boat he's
trying to pay for You got excellent advice the first time. Relax,
take your pain medicine and get better.

Best wishes for a speedy recovery,

Dave

Old March 26th 06, 07:55 PM

Thanks, Dave, I'm sorry to hear yours didn't come out as well as possible.
I'm actually starting to tolerate the brace a little better so we'll see how
long I can wear it. I'm guessing that when everything's said and done I'll
just leave it alone and live with it. If I can be pain free and have full
range of motion all will be good. And then back to boarding!

It sounds like yours was a five on the degree scale. Good luck.

Stan.