Removing bindings for summer storage?

Old March 23rd 06, 03:13 PM

Default Removing bindings for summer storage?

Hi all,

I am a novice rider who has just had his first season on the slopes.
Sadly, it's time for me to put my board away for the summer. I have had
it waxed by my local boardshop who advised me to remove the bindings for
the off-season. The reason is that apparently the bindings can distort
the board over time and introduce some uneven surface on the base of the
board, leading to problems in future.

I had not heard of this before (granted, I haven't heard of much in this
new world before) so I wondered if anyone could give me some further
advice about this? I have not seen anyone else that I know remove their
bindings for the summer.

Can anyone shed any light on whether or not this is a good thing to do
or is it really not that important?

--
David Peacock -
Old March 24th 06, 12:25 AM

my local boardshop who advised me to remove the bindings for
the off-season. The reason is that apparently the bindings can distort
the board over time and introduce some uneven surface on the base of the
board, leading to problems in future.

I've never removed the bindings of my board in the summer, and now the
screws have made little uneven spots in the base, like they've pulled
a little too hard. I guess I'll remove the bindings from now on, or at
least untighten the screws.

Yep - the screws, when tightend enough to secure the bindings to the deck,
do pull on the inserts and dimple the base somewhat. Some boards have this
effect more than others... heavier and thicker decks seem to suffer it less
than thinner and lighter decks.

Unless you loosen your screws after riding and tighten them up before you
ride, you're going to suffer the same effect through the season, so removing
the bindings over the summer if you leave 'em on all season isn't going to
help much.

Does the dimpling affect the ride? I suppose it would if ride flat often,
i.e., ride enough flat runouts where you pretty much need to run flat on
your base. I've never noticed it ruining my ride, and I am fanatical about
keeping my boards in tip-top shape.

The time when you *really* want to remove the bindings, or loosen the
screws, IMHO is when you hot wax. The thought of heating up the inserts
when they are under the stress of tightened bolts concerns me mopre than
long-term storage. Also, ithe dimples tend to relax when you loosen the
screws, and that makes it easier to keep wax from getting caked up in
them... and wax caked in the dimples *does* make a noticable difference, at
least for me.

-Mike T

Old March 27th 06, 01:28 AM

In article , Christine wrote:
On Thu, 23 Mar 2006 16:25:23 -0800, "Mike T"
wrote:

Unless you loosen your screws after riding and tighten them up before you
ride, you're going to suffer the same effect through the season, so removing
the bindings over the summer if you leave 'em on all season isn't going to
help much.

I ride one or two weeks every year, so keeping them tight for one week
at a time won't hurt much, I guess. Otherwise, I think you're right.

Thanks for the advice Christine & Mike, I had good fun this morning
removing my bindings. I have been glazing over ever since I started
riding when people started talking to me about stance angles, widths,
high-back angles, etc, etc. I had enough to worry about just finding the
right boots that fit!

So today I took the opportunity to play with the things I can tweak and
set on the binding front and found out that this isn't all that scary
really. It makes sense once I am actually tinkering. I kinda wish I had
done this mid-way through the season, however, as I have a few ideas of
things to alter and try out when the snow comes back.

Specifically, I have always wondered why I have been favouring my heel
edge for some reason. I figured that perhaps I just needed to practise
more on my toe edge. I discovered when I took my bindings off that they
are set back quite far to my heel side of the board, I wonder if this is
why I have a natural tendancy to ride on my heel edge? I guess it would
have been more effort for me to get on my toe edge?

Also, I note that my front foot was set at +15 degrees, and all the
literature I have subsequently absorbed over the last two days suggests
that for a novice I should be riding around +21 degrees?

Anyway, I am very excited about next season, I never thought I would
come out of the winter wishing the summer would get out of the way
quickly!

--
David Peacock -
http://quasicanuck.blogspot.com/
Old March 27th 06, 03:22 AM

Specifically, I have always wondered why I have been favouring my heel
edge for some reason. I figured that perhaps I just needed to practise
more on my toe edge. I discovered when I took my bindings off that they
are set back quite far to my heel side of the board, I wonder if this is
why I have a natural tendancy to ride on my heel edge? I guess it would
have been more effort for me to get on my toe edge?

That would certainly have the impact of making your heelside stronger and
your toeside weaker. You might be pleasantly surprises on your first day
out next season if you balance them better

Also, I note that my front foot was set at +15 degrees, and all the
literature I have subsequently absorbed over the last two days suggests
that for a novice I should be riding around +21 degrees?

I think either is just fine - the most important thing is to do what works
for you. Most of the advice that people give you will be "do what I do" or
"do what I was taught to teach in my instructor training" or something to
that effect. Giving stance setup advice over the internet is tricky unless
the full story is known... on the other hand, if someone sees you ride, they
may be able to make very good suggestions.

Anyway, I am very excited about next season, I never thought I would
come out of the winter wishing the summer would get out of the way
quickly!

I know the feeling. I've been wishing summers were shorter since I got
addicted to boarding back in '98. Have you tried a longboard (skateboard)?
For some, it helps keep the jonesing at bay, and many find it good
cross-training for snowboard. I personally have a Loaded Vanguard and a
Tierney (www.loadedboards.com, www.tierneyrides.com) which are both designed
to have a snowboard-ish feel. They are great for one's balance and I
actually started off the '04-'05 season a better snowboarder than I finished
the '03-'04 season, after spending lots of time on those skateboards. (And
I am still a low-intermediate on wheels - very conservative on them since I
don't want to injure myself and lose time on snow)

Mike T

Old March 27th 06, 04:01 PM

In article , Mike T wrote:
That would certainly have the impact of making your heelside stronger and
your toeside weaker. You might be pleasantly surprises on your first day
out next season if you balance them better

:-)

I know the feeling. I've been wishing summers were shorter since I got
addicted to boarding back in '98. Have you tried a longboard (skateboard)?

I haven't actually. My local board shop semi-converts into a
summer-board shop around about now. They also sell wakeboards,
longboads, regular skateboards etc. I was chatting for a while to the
guys in there and they all said that the best way to be ready for next
season was to keep a board of some kind under my feet. A couple of them
suggested longboarding too. I might just give that a shot, but I do
think I might get more use out of a regular skateboard, just because
it's something I can see myself using to actually get around.

Old March 27th 06, 04:41 PM

David Peacock wrote:
I know the feeling. I've been wishing summers were shorter since I got
addicted to boarding back in '98. Have you tried a longboard (skateboard)?

I haven't actually. My local board shop semi-converts into a
summer-board shop around about now. They also sell wakeboards,
longboads, regular skateboards etc. I was chatting for a while to the
guys in there and they all said that the best way to be ready for next
season was to keep a board of some kind under my feet. A couple of them
suggested longboarding too. I might just give that a shot, but I do
think I might get more use out of a regular skateboard, just because
it's something I can see myself using to actually get around.

A longboard is much more useful for actually commuting and travel. In
particular the trucks turn much more smoothly than freestyle deck
trucks and the wheels are much larger and softer, meaning they roll
smoother, faster, and longer and don't get stuck on over bumps or
cracks in the pavement. A freestyle deck is shorter for manueverability
in the park/air, have tight trucks that are stable to land on (but not
stable at speed), and really hard wheels which roll faster on very
smooth pavement (which you don't usually get outside the park). Now
realize longboards run the full gamut of sizes from like a tiny 26"
Sector 9 Bambino (http://stores.yahoo.com/purpleskunk/sector9.html)
where a regular skateboard is 30-31", to a super burly Landyatchz
(http://stores.yahoo.com/purpleskunk/landyachtz.html) which is 41"...
they actually have 60" longboards too...

Old March 27th 06, 05:46 PM

lonerider wrote:
A longboard is much more useful for actually commuting and travel. In
particular the trucks turn much more smoothly than freestyle deck
trucks and the wheels are much larger and softer, meaning they roll
smoother, faster, and longer and don't get stuck on over bumps or
cracks in the pavement.

Yay! Another new thing to try! :-) Maybe this summer won't be so bad
after all...

--
David Peacock -
http://quasicanuck.blogspot.com/

Bindings from straight skiis suitable for for shaped? [email protected] Alpine Skiing 7 October 14th 05 05:48 PM
salomon bindings / burton boards Joe Snowboarding 6 December 18th 03 10:48 PM
Mounting alpine bindings Terry Hill Alpine Skiing 26 December 6th 03 06:51 AM
Mount Bindings Schmoe Alpine Skiing 12 November 15th 03 04:02 PM
Atomic Ski Bindings - 4.12 or 6.14 which is better for me? Christopher Luke Alpine Skiing 7 August 10th 03 03:40 PM