"Normal" or "Premium" Skis??

Old November 10th 04, 09:50 PM
NIALLBRUCE

Default "Normal" or "Premium" Skis??

Any chat on whether the "premium" skis offered by most hire-shops are worth the
extra? I know that it's not the most urgent topic of discussion but it affects
everyone. On average, the "premium" skis demand a 40 pound premium. I've read
the sales pitch from the manufacturers and hire companies but would be
interested to hear about someone's own experience.

Are the 'technological' advancements significant? If so, how do they affect our
skiing? Is there a material difference?

Do they affect different people in different ways ie. depending on their
ability or style of skiing?

I don't know what standard of skiier I am. I'm just learning how to carve.
Should I opt for the "premium" option?? (nb, I am a student - poor!!)

Has anyone tried the twin-tipped skis? I've seen a few kids use them at the
local dry slope. Do they allow freestyle skiing without any sacrifices? In
particular, do they affect the traditional 'freeride' functionality?

Thanks for any replies!

Niall
Old November 10th 04, 11:20 PM
Alun Evans

On Wed 10 Nov '04 at 21:50 (NIALLBRUCE) wrote:

Any chat on whether the "premium" skis offered by most hire-shops are worth
the extra? I know that it's not the most urgent topic of discussion but it
affects everyone. On average, the "premium" skis demand a 40 pound
premium. I've read the sales pitch from the manufacturers and hire companies
but would be interested to hear about someone's own experience.

So I'm one of the people who still hires skis, and I do go for the "premium"
option these days, though given the total cost of the week's hire x 2, and the
reliability factor, it is making me think I may buy my own skis this year.

Are the 'technological' advancements significant? If so, how do they affect
our skiing? Is there a material difference?

Well these days I'd think that all the hire skis would be carving style, but
certainly the skis I first learnt on in 2000 were almost straight, but it
didn't really bother me in my snow plough.

I think the real difference is in the age. Premium == Newer. Plus they tend to
have complete sharp edges in my experience.

If you think about what the older skis have been through, 3 or 4 years, 6 days
a week skiing for the entire season. Most people's skis wouldn't get that
treatment in their lifetime. They must be suffering from some kind of fatigue.

Do they affect different people in different ways ie. depending on their
ability or style of skiing?

I don't know what standard of skiier I am. I'm just learning how to carve.
Should I opt for the "premium" option?? (nb, I am a student - poor!!)

Some of my friends being taught to carve by the ESF in La Plagne this year
were told by their instructor to go and dump the planks of wood they were on
for some real skis.

He then swapped skis with one of the girls for her to tell the difference,
which she could. (He was testing some of Salomon's next seasons skis to be
fair).

As for the random factor, I've found that the main hire shop in Soldeu,
Andorra has X number of standard skis and Y number of premium skis, and every
couple of years they move the premium to the standard, and buy new premium
ones.

This means you get your exact length in a ski of your choosing.

in the other hire places I've been in, they seem to have a mismash of
different types of skis, and what they have in your length you get, even if it
may not be ideally what you want (i.e. something that is horrificaly wide...,
or something that doesn't look that "premium", i.e. old).

The other thing I've noticed is that you pay your money to the tour operator
who claims to be getting a discount for you, but looking at the offer prices
on the web for other shops in resort, I'm not so sure.

Alun.
Old November 11th 04, 09:30 AM
Stan Mullery

My understanding was that "Premium" skis were standard models that you
could buy in the shops and that "Normal" skis were built for the
"fleet" hire market to a basic price and weren't a retail product.

Certainly a lot of the models of normal I've seen, even brand new,
didn't feature in any manufacturers list.

A good ski hire outlet regularly replaces their entire stock as the
business model calls for the capital investment in hire skis and boots
to be paid off within the first four weeks.

Stan

Old November 11th 04, 09:52 AM
Nick Hounsome

"NIALLBRUCE" wrote in message
Any chat on whether the "premium" skis offered by most hire-shops are
worth the
extra? I know that it's not the most urgent topic of discussion but it
affects
everyone. On average, the "premium" skis demand a 40 pound premium. I've
read
the sales pitch from the manufacturers and hire companies but would be
interested to hear about someone's own experience.

I wouldn't claim to be a great skier and I've never done a side by side
comparison but I went 3 times last season - once with some planks that I was
given for free, once with standard rental and once with premium rental.

Both rentals were better than the planks because they were at least carvers
but I couldn't honestly say I could tell the difference between the rentals.

P.S. I stuck with the planks when my friends hired carvers just to
stubbornly show that I could. I like to think that it improved my technique
:-)

Are the 'technological' advancements significant? If so, how do they
affect our
skiing? Is there a material difference?

The standard will be at most one year older.

Do they affect different people in different ways ie. depending on their
ability or style of skiing? I don't know what standard of skiier I am.
I'm just learning how to carve.
Should I opt for the "premium" option?? (nb, I am a student - poor!!)

Looking in the ellisbrigham catalogue at just the K2 range I see that the
skis rated as easiest to use are also the cheapest so why pay extra for
something you are not going to do as well on?

Has anyone tried the twin-tipped skis? I've seen a few kids use them at
the
local dry slope. Do they allow freestyle skiing without any sacrifices? In
particular, do they affect the traditional 'freeride' functionality?

Since twin tips are for skiing backwards and you haven't yet mastered a
forwards carve I don't see why you would want them.

Thanks for any replies!

Niall

P.S. Rental shops are happy to swap skis - you could always try switching
part way through the week and seeing if it makes any difference.

Old November 11th 04, 09:59 AM
Nick Hounsome

"Alun Evans" wrote in message

Some of my friends being taught to carve by the ESF in La Plagne this year
were told by their instructor to go and dump the planks of wood they were
on
for some real skis.

He then swapped skis with one of the girls for her to tell the difference,
which she could. (He was testing some of Salomon's next seasons skis to be
fair).

I find it odd that an instructor would be using beginners skis (unless he
was testing them for
usability for beginners).

I can't believe that anywhere really rents "planks". As far as I am aware
I've never been given anything more than a year old.

The one thing that I would look out for is the condition of the skis - I've
asked for another pair where the edges weren't sharp or the base looked like
it had been skiing gravel.

Old November 11th 04, 01:23 PM
David Brown

"Nick Hounsome" wrote in message
P.S. Rental shops are happy to swap skis - you could always try switching
part way through the week and seeing if it makes any difference.

And if you do do this, the rental shop will often give you premium skis
instead for no extra cost, probably to save themselves the hassle of you
coming back again.

--
kitemap

Old November 11th 04, 03:06 PM
Iain Miller

"Alun Evans" wrote in message

On Wed 10 Nov '04 at 21:50 (NIALLBRUCE) wrote:

Any chat on whether the "premium" skis offered by most hire-shops are

worth
the extra? I know that it's not the most urgent topic of discussion but

it
affects everyone. On average, the "premium" skis demand a 40 pound
premium. I've read the sales pitch from the manufacturers and hire

companies
but would be interested to hear about someone's own experience.

So I'm one of the people who still hires skis, and I do go for the

"premium"
option these days, though given the total cost of the week's hire x 2, and

the
reliability factor, it is making me think I may buy my own skis this year.

Unless you ski a minimum of 2-3 weeks a year I can't see the economics in
this - you'd have to keep them for 3 or 4 years at least to make it
worthwhile. I bought a pair some years ago but only used them for 3 years
and frankly it was a waste of money. Nowadays I just rent good skis - you
get the latest models every time and if you don't like them you just go back
& get another pair. You don't have to carry them round airports (or pay
excess baggage charges) and you don't have to pay the annual servicing -
when you add that up over 3 or 4 years it can come to half as much again on
the cost of the skis. You also need a sensible place to store them. Many
people put them in the loft which is a really bad idea - they get much too
hot during the summer, dry out & suffer accordingly.

Skiing on "Planks" won't help you progress - but then again skiing on race
skiis won't help you much either if you arn't good enough to use them. There
are usually 3 or 4 different levels of ski in most hire shops in Europe &
you need to try & find the best level for your ability.

There is just no point in renting poor quality skis - having paid so much to
get to the snow in the first place it seems a false economy. As above,
neither is there much point in renting the highest spec skis if you don't
have the technique. Look at it this way, you are unlikely to be able to
throw a Ferrari into a four wheel drift at 100mph if you only passed your
driving test yesterday!

On a related but different not it is absolutely worth buying your own
boots - even if you ski only once a year.

Old November 11th 04, 05:01 PM
Roger

[...]

Hi Niall

Considering it's a 'skiing' holiday, the skis are really the most
important thing as they facilitate the purpose of the holiday.

I can't see the point in spending all that money on travel, food,
accommodation, lift pass etc only to save a few quid on skis that have
seen better days.

I always go for the premium skis not only for the reason above but
also because they are the best, therefore easier (or more rewarding)
to ski on and are thus less effort!
Old November 11th 04, 05:02 PM
Dominique Foucart

NIALLBRUCE avait énoncé :
[...]

It will be my 30st year of ski this year (from one to three/four weeks
a year). I have owned my skis until 10 years ago, since then, I am
renting premiums (although I consider myself as an intermediate skier).
It may seem stupid, but considering that when you own your ski you have
to get them "prepared" (and most often "repaired" every time you go (so
for me 2 to 4 times a year) at an average cost of euros 30 (ca 20 for
farting + every 2 times 50 in total for repairs), I consider that with
the premium I get the technologically best ski (I could never afford
the typical 700 euro per pair for the premium in new), at a decent
cost...

But this is of course just my humble opinion ;-)

Dominique

--
Dominique Foucart
Site for hiking trails in Giffre Valley:

Old November 11th 04, 05:38 PM
Steve

Indeed renting "premium" skis is often good value compared to owning new
ones, but just to throw another view into the mixture...

I've rented premiums for the last 15+ years but the three of years
proved to be just too frustrating. I found that since the introduction
of the premium carvers and especially "Fat-Mid" All Mountain skis,
finding a ski that suited my style/ability wasn't easy... Some were OK,
many were a nightmare and a few were great, but it took me best part of
3 days to find the "great" ones through trial and error... The next year
I couldn't find the great ones from last year as the makes/models had
all changed and so the whole trial and error thing started all over
again. I consider these 2 to 3 days each year to be largely wasted piste
time, so this year I have bought one of the "great" skis from last year
(secondhand £170 and 1/3 of last years RRP). Whilst this means servicing
and hauling them through airports, etc, at least I "hit the ground
running/skiing" so to speak as soon as I arrive...

For me, this ability to enjoy my piste time to the full from the first
day far outweighs the additional service costs and baggage
inconvenience, plus I only need to use them for 3 weeks tops and they
have paid for themselves compared to premium rentals... Chances are I'll
probably use them for 8+ weeks (3-4 years) skiing so what I save in
rental over this period will easily cover the servicing costs, with
premium rentals being £60+ a week.

Steve

"Dominique Foucart" wrote in message
: