Canada

Old February 27th 04, 06:02 AM
Iain Bishop

Default Canada

Hi,

I'm off to Canada at the end of March for 2 weeks. I'm renting a car and
going to go to some of the following resorts: Banff, Big White, Kicking
Horse, Red Mountain, Whistler, Whitewater.
From what my little book about world resorts tells me it sounds like they're
all amazing and basically offer what I want, which is, in order of priority:
1. Best chance of fresh powder
2. Uncrowded slopes and no liftlines
3. Varied slopes, plenty of off-piste exploration options
4. Cheap motels close by

Does anyone know if any of these would be more suitable for me than the
others? Have I missed any other resorts out that I should also consider?

Thanks a lot
Iain

Old February 27th 04, 10:47 AM
Clive Perry

"Iain Bishop" wrote in message
Hi,

I'm off to Canada at the end of March for 2 weeks. I'm renting a car and
going to go to some of the following resorts: Banff, Big White, Kicking
Horse, Red Mountain, Whistler, Whitewater.
From what my little book about world resorts tells me it sounds like

they're
all amazing and basically offer what I want, which is, in order of

priority:
1. Best chance of fresh powder
2. Uncrowded slopes and no liftlines
3. Varied slopes, plenty of off-piste exploration options
4. Cheap motels close by

Does anyone know if any of these would be more suitable for me than the
others? Have I missed any other resorts out that I should also consider?

Thanks a lot
Iain

Iain,

I've heard Panorama is good - that's why we are going there at the end of
March - this is in the area you are aiming for. I believe it is 2 hours
south west of Banff.

Clive

Old February 27th 04, 11:31 AM
Steve Haigh

Iain Bishop wrote:
Hi,

I'm off to Canada at the end of March for 2 weeks. I'm renting a car and
going to go to some of the following resorts: Banff, Big White, Kicking
Horse, Red Mountain, Whistler, Whitewater.
From what my little book about world resorts tells me it sounds like they're
all amazing and basically offer what I want, which is, in order of priority:
1. Best chance of fresh powder

All off them have a good chance, but late March in Whistler can be wet
and heavy, so for good powder I'd say Banff & KH

2. Uncrowded slopes and no liftlines

Compared to Europe they will all be uncrowded. Maybe avoid KH at
weekends though, it can be busy I'm told, and Whistler sees a lot of
traffic from Vancouver at the weekend too.

3. Varied slopes, plenty of off-piste exploration options

Red & Whitewater are pretty small, only a coupld of lifts. Excellent
variety and great skiing if you walk a bit, but if you want variety then
the others, particularly Whistler or Banff would be better.

4. Cheap motels close by

KH has lots (in Golden), Whistler is not cheap but there are thousands
of condos which offer good rates at the last minute (just booked a place
for next week, sleeps 6 for $250 CDN.) Banff has lots of hotels, not as
expensive as Whistler. There are a few cheap-ish motels in Rossland
(Red) and Nelson is a great place to stay for skiing at Whitewater -
check out the Heritage Inn.

Does anyone know if any of these would be more suitable for me than the
others? Have I missed any other resorts out that I should also consider?

As you can see, there is no simple answer... Rent a car and do a tour!
I've booked flights and have left booking accomodation to the last
minute, currently Whistler has the best snow and the best chance of
poder for early next week so that's my first booking.

You might want to consider Fernie too.
Old March 1st 04, 02:29 AM
Iain Bishop

Thanks guys,

I think I will just book the accomodation when I get there and just go
wherever has the best snow.
Will also consider Fernie, thanks.
Have fun in your trips.

"Steve Haigh" wrote in message
Iain Bishop wrote:
Hi,

I'm off to Canada at the end of March for 2 weeks. I'm renting a car and
going to go to some of the following resorts: Banff, Big White, Kicking
Horse, Red Mountain, Whistler, Whitewater.
From what my little book about world resorts tells me it sounds like

they're

Old March 2nd 04, 11:56 AM
Kevin M

Guys, I just stumbled across your emails - I've just come back from
Fernie and it was excellent!

The powder was great, the line-ups for the lifts were really short and
the prices for food and beer much cheaper than Whistler etc..

Plenty of accom in Fernie itself, or you might get lucky and get
something on the hill.

Would def. go back there again over the other resorts in the Rockies!

Iain Bishop wrote:
Hi,

I'm off to Canada at the end of March for 2 weeks. I'm renting a car and
going to go to some of the following resorts: Banff, Big White, Kicking
Horse, Red Mountain, Whistler, Whitewater.
From what my little book about world resorts tells me it sounds like

they're

Old March 4th 04, 12:30 AM
Iain Bishop

Surely no rain at KH at the end of March though? What would the temperature
be up there then?

"Bill Williams" wrote in message
In article , Iain Bishop
says...

Hi,

I'm off to Canada at the end of March for 2 weeks. I'm renting a car and
going to go to some of the following resorts: Banff, Big White, Kicking
Horse, Red Mountain, Whistler, Whitewater.
From what my little book about world resorts tells me it sounds like

they're
all amazing and basically offer what I want, which is, in order of

priority:
1. Best chance of fresh powder
2. Uncrowded slopes and no liftlines
3. Varied slopes, plenty of off-piste exploration options
4. Cheap motels close by

Does anyone know if any of these would be more suitable for me than the
others? Have I missed any other resorts out that I should also consider?

Thanks a lot
Iain

End of March?

1)No powder.....maybe some rain.

2)Red, Kicking Horse and Whitewater. If you are an intermediate level

skier
don't go to Red. Check to make sure they all are still open.

3)Red.

4)Red, Kicking Horse.

Too much rain for Fernie by then (a later post of yours). Best time to hit

the
Rockies etc is early Feb.

Old March 4th 04, 09:21 PM
Greg

"Iain Bishop" wrote in message ...
Surely no rain at KH at the end of March though? What would the temperature
be up there then?

"Bill Williams" wrote in message
In article , Iain Bishop
says...

Hi,

I'm off to Canada at the end of March for 2 weeks. I'm renting a car and
going to go to some of the following resorts: Banff, Big White, Kicking
Horse, Red Mountain, Whistler, Whitewater.
From what my little book about world resorts tells me it sounds like

they're
[...]

You'll have plenty of snow and less chance of rain the further east
you go. When in Banff make sure you go to Sunshine Village the
mountain's great and they have the friendliest staff anywhere. You
can get the current weather, forecast and accurate snow conditions for
all of the resorts you're visiting check out www.SkiTown.com Have
fun.

Canada this winter... where to? Serena Snowboarding 14 October 5th 04 12:26 AM
ski school in Canada Jack Nixon North American Ski Resorts 2 January 3rd 04 02:55 AM
Canada Heliski nico General 1 December 5th 03 05:56 AM
Western canada info Paul Crane North American Ski Resorts 3 October 16th 03 04:50 AM
Canada! Barney Snowboarding 10 August 8th 03 09:18 PM