Touring gear - Grindelwald & Zermatt

Old January 17th 06, 03:34 PM

Mike Clark wrote:

I guess it depends on the type of touring you're planning
to do.

Indeed. If you envisage being off the skis and not on crampons for any
reason (perhaps the odd rocky scramble) then DH boots start looking like
a Really Bad Idea, but if you're clipped in all day then why not?

Another thing to watch is that what one plans/hopes to do isn't
necessarily quite what will happen. Someone I know did the Haute Route
in tele gear and actually ended up far better off than his AT
colleagues, rather contrary to expectations... because snow was lean
that year and his tele boots were easier to walk in and the skis were
lighter to carry!

Pete.
--
Peter Clinch Medical Physics IT Officer
Fax 44 1382 640177 Dundee DD1 9SY Scotland UK

Old January 17th 06, 04:33 PM

"SteveH" wrote in message
oups.com...
snip

Can anyone recommend shops in Grindelwald and/or Zermatt that either
hire decent touring gear or will let me demo boots?

Hi Steve - I guess most ski shops in Zermatt will rent touring gear, based
on what I've noticed in the hire racks and gear for sale; not many bargins
in Zermatt, although I did notice some good discounts last late April but
limited sizes...
Grindelwald probably the same, I was there last April but not to rent and
found that all resort shops were shut for the week (week after ski lifts
closed), some members of our tour were served by a shop openning specially
and they had all the gear.
Hardly surprising since both these areas have top drawer touring ..
FWIW downhill boots will be too tight and heavy generally for the ascending,
much easier in touring boots especially after several hours. I've had a
number of adjustments (blowing out hard spots) made on my touring boots,
important to get a soft "tongue" - the Denali TT should be better than my
older XT's and I may fit a softer one. Personnally I think I'd rate a
lighter boot higher than a heavier stiffer one as I don't think the downhill
will suffer that much, for me anyway, I guess it's just technique.
Mike

Old January 18th 06, 09:27 AM

Hi Peter

Indeed. If you envisage being off the skis and not on crampons for any
reason (perhaps the odd rocky scramble) then DH boots start looking like
a Really Bad Idea,

Most tours I do in spring start with half of an hour walking up to the snow.

necessarily quite what will happen. Someone I know did the Haute Route
in tele gear and actually ended up far better off than his AT
colleagues, rather contrary to expectations... because snow was lean
that year and his tele boots were easier to walk in

I can definitley subscribe this, doing tele since five years after 30
years on AT gear.

A quite interesting Mix might be the Scarpa F1, which is an AT-Touring
boot, but with the bending zone of the Telemark boots:
http://www.alaskamountaineering.com/.../scarpa_f1.jpg

Btw: it is no problem to ski in an AT binding with this bending zone. I
succesfully tried skiing in a silvretta 404 with my Crispi telemark boots!

Florian