Good sources for used equipment in NE?

Old December 28th 05, 01:04 AM

Default Good sources for used equipment in NE?

Does anybody know of any good sources for used AT/Tele equipment in the
New England region? Preferably shops staffed by knowledgeable folks
who do backcountry locally with a good selection for a chump just
getting into it without a ton of cash?

Old January 8th 06, 06:22 PM

On 27 Dec 2005 17:04:03 -0800, "Opposite George"
wrote:

Does anybody know of any good sources for used AT/Tele equipment in the
New England region? Preferably shops staffed by knowledgeable folks
who do backcountry locally with a good selection for a chump just
getting into it without a ton of cash?

North Conway area:

IME (International Mtn Equip)
http://www.ime-usa.com/

Ragged Mtn (just north of town in Intervale)
http://www.raggedmountain.com/contact.php

Both have knowledgable staff, rentals, and used/consignment gear.
Websites may not show it completely. Tele gear easier to find than
randonee/AT.

Of course, you may be tempted to use the skis nearby.

Even looking to do it on the cheap, I would strongly recommend you
focus on getting good boots that fit your feet well, and suit your
style of skiing.

Starting out on groomed slopes for practice and easier things, you
might with to use old alpine skis mounted with the binding type you
choose.

I have a pair of alpine skis that cost me $25 used which serve me well
except for XC style uses. Look for lighter weight ones.

You can also start with basic alpine ski poles, as the benefits of
adjustable poles are less apparent on easier terrain.
Happy trails,
Gary (net.yogi.bear)
--
At the 51st percentile of ursine intelligence

Gary D. Schwartz, Needham, MA, USA
Old January 9th 06, 02:26 AM

Gary -- Thanks for the advice! I'll definitely check out both those
places when I'm in the 'hood (probably late January/early February.)
It's impossible to see and play with backcountry stuff here in SW
Connecticut so at least it'll be worth it to see what the toys look
like.

Anyway, this year'll be my starter year in the backwoods which means
I'm planning on exploring areas with small elevation gains and
developed hiking trail networks here in the northeast. The
"destination" backcountry areas will have to wait at least another year
for me. As an experienced long-distance hiker and downhiller I can
really appreciate the benefits of weight reduction (especially at the
feet) and the joys of good gear, but since I probably won't make it
into the woods any more than five or six times this year I'm willing to
make some compromises until I decide whether I like the backcountry
enough to get some more serious stuff. "Run what you brung" is going to
have to do for the time being.

Anyway, here's what I came up with:

I found some used randonee skis w/AT bindings, both in good shape, for
a song. They tuned up nicely so those'll be my starter boards. As for
boots, I'm planning on using an old pair of downhill boots I already
have. Though they're not as performance-oriented as my current
downhill boots they fit me well and are lighter and easier to
flex/stride in. I also got a set of skins for cheap; we'll see if
they're good enough for what I'll be asking them to do (which, this
year, won't be that much.)

Now as for poles, even though I've got downhill poles galore I was
thinking I'd fit snow baskets on my trekking poles and voila --
adjustable poles. They'll be heavy, but heck, I've used 'em for
nordic before and they didn't seem that bad. Also I suspect they're
more rugged than regular poles which is probably a bonus in the woods,
no?

Anyway, thanks again for the advice. Now if we could only get some
more cover in the local "starter" backwoods areas... -- OG