You'll never believe how Schattie describes himself!!

Old April 4th 15, 01:06 AM posted to rec.skiing.alpine

Default You'll never believe how Schattie describes himself!!

On Fri, 3 Apr 2015 08:04:10 -0700 (PDT), Richard Henry
wrote this crap:

I recall the first time I accessed www through a computer at
work using Netscape

I accessed www before there was Netscape. It was text only and we had
to Telnet through Cern.

What's this, "work" you speak of?

This signature is now the ultimate
power in the universe
Old April 4th 15, 01:17 AM posted to rec.skiing.alpine

On Fri, 03 Apr 2015 08:16:26 -0700, The Real Bev
wrote this crap:

On 04/03/2015 01:38 AM, wrote:
On Thu, 2 Apr 2015 18:00:22 -0700 (PDT), Eviel Dewar
wrote this crap:

Usenet predated the WWW by over a decade.

True story. I remember when the www was only text. Before http came
along. Usenet was already old.

By the time Trunky came along in 1995 or 1996, Usenet was
already losing ground to the web, which was new then.

I remember when you had to telnet on the web. Bev was probably only
ancient back then.

:-)

Did you mean 'ancient' as in 'no other qualities' or 'the only
grown-up'? Precision is just SOOOO important.

You're the only person I know that has her birth certificate on clay
tablets.

You're so old that you have an autographed copy of the Bible.

You're so old that when God said, "Let there be light," you said,
"About damn time."

My first post to usenet was in 1994. Shell account through either
Caltech or the UC's freenet. Gopher, Veronica, etc. Company gave me a
private phone line so I could use Mosaic to test out the website that
some guys were trying to sell them. Running on the Apple in the
conference room it was lovely and fast. Running via the net on an
ordinary computer over an ordinary phone line it looked OK but took the
usual minutes-per-page to load.

Life was a lot simpler then.

I was on usenet in the mid 70's. Life sucked back then. I had to
write programs on punch cards. there was only one IBM360 in the whole
city. Today, my cable remote has more computing ability.

Old April 4th 15, 03:17 AM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
Dave Stallard[_4_]

On Friday, April 3, 2015 at 1:10:16 PM UTC-4, Alan Baker wrote:

Until http "came along" there was no world wide web. The World Wide Web
was created by http and html.

That is correct. Though of course the Internet itself did exist before then, and there were other protocols that ran on top of it, such as FTP, Gopher (whatever that was), SMTP (email), and NNTP (Usenet).

Dave
Old April 4th 15, 06:45 AM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
Alan Baker[_2_]

On 2015-04-04 03:17:09 +0000, Dave Stallard said:

On Friday, April 3, 2015 at 1:10:16 PM UTC-4, Alan Baker wrote:

Until http "came along" there was no world wide web. The World Wide Web
was created by http and html.

That is correct. Though of course the Internet itself did exist before
then, and there were other protocols that ran on top of it, such as
FTP, Gopher (whatever that was), SMTP (email), and NNTP (Usenet).

Dave

Of course, Dave.

I happened to be at the University of Waterloo in the years that the
Internet was coming into being . I was actually friends with the guy
who made the suggestion that the "@" sign should serve to separate user
name from domain in email addresses.

:-)

Old April 4th 15, 04:52 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
The Real Bev[_4_]

On 04/03/2015 08:17 PM, Dave Stallard wrote:
On Friday, April 3, 2015 at 1:10:16 PM UTC-4, Alan Baker wrote:

Until http "came along" there was no world wide web. The World Wide
Web was created by http and html.

That is correct. Though of course the Internet itself did exist
before then, and there were other protocols that ran on top of it,
such as FTP, Gopher (whatever that was), SMTP (email), and NNTP
(Usenet).

Gopher was a search mechanism/program. Entities that wanted to share
information would put it on a gopher server, which was searchable by
anybody running gopher, which was pretty much everybody with a shell
account. There were also Archie and Veronica, but I don't remember the
details.

--
Cheers, Bev
PJ O'Rourke