Northwave Kevin Jone 02/03 model - anyone riding them?

Old February 13th 04, 09:45 AM
copek

Default Northwave Kevin Jone 02/03 model - anyone riding them?

hi,

i've got my eye on a 2nd hand pair of these (10 days use) and wondered if
anyone could give me some feedback on them?

specifically,

how stiff are they? do they have heat mouldable liners?

i'm using 02/03 legends at the moment and finding tham a little flexy now
that my carving is improving.

i've scoured the web for info, but there isn't much. would be helpful for
manufacturers to archive their previous years sites ...

thanks in advance

C.

Old February 16th 04, 04:45 AM
Alex

I wear these, and they are fairly nice.. They're my first pair of
snowboarding boots (previously used rental boots), and they are much
more comfortable than rental boots.. People have said KJs are stiff
boots and not recommended for beginners, but I seem to have no
problems with the stiffness level. I'm not sure about the heat
moldable lining part, but I believe they are heat moldable, i just
haven't used heat to mold it.. I've ridden them twice now for about
12 hours each session, and the bottom rubber sole on one of the boots
is ripping off already. Also the side of the boots are getting tears
from fitting too tight into my binding.. I believe the rubber sole
coming off is due to that as well, since that is the foot that comes
in and out of the board the most often (the back foot). I believe the
soles can be epoxied or something back on in case it gets worse, but
otherwise the boots are great, and I got them at a discount for being
last year's model. If you have northwave legends, I can't imagine the
boots being any better than what you currently have now as I
personally don't think boots make a big performance difference.. more
or less just a comfort preference. If you can get the boots extremely
cheap, i'd say go for it to have a 2nd pair of boots lying around.
Otherwise, i'd stick with your orig. ones if there are no problems
with it. The other thing that affected me was the toebox area, of my
left foot. The left side of my left foot is slightly cramped in
there, but it is not noticeable at all after a run or two..

Alex

Old February 16th 04, 08:10 AM
copek

thanks for a helpful reply! i think i'll get another year out of my legends
then ....

cheers,

om...

Old February 17th 04, 04:09 AM
AsaaraAgain

People have said KJs are stiff
boots and not recommended for beginners, but I seem to have no
problems with the stiffness level.

I can understand why a stiff board might not be great for beginners, but why
would stiff *boots* not be good? Other than maybe not as comfortable as softer
ones?

I learned to ride in my ski boots, with strap bindings, as it was way easier
than in regular winter soft boots or the work boot like snowboard boots of the
era, and only just recently got a pair of boots that *don't* make me want to go
get my ski boots instead...