????? Tele Boots ?????

Old September 12th 03, 01:48 AM
tse

Default ????? Tele Boots ?????

I've been on Scarpa T2's for over a decade now. Even since they switched to
the yellow/black design, with the too burely liners, I have been patching
together the old black T2's because I like the fit and peformance so much.
But I may need to find a new boot this year and I'm wondering what the best
call is?

I always liked the thin liner in the Terminator, they allowed me to feel the
edge better than the thickly padded newer liners. The flex never crimpted
my toes, etc.

I ski fast, steep and hopefully soft. I live in Aspen, hike highlands often
but mostly in-bounds skiing about 100 days a year. As you can imagine I
tear through the Scarpa toe plastic and buckles regularly, but the fit keep
my a fan, until they changed the design.

So ... what should my next boot be ???????????

-Tom

Old September 12th 03, 02:05 AM
tse

My mistake, I ski the T1's, the taller ones.
(been a long summer off ski's)

Old September 12th 03, 04:14 PM

Old September 12th 03, 09:37 PM
Arthur

_ The thin/thickness of the liners is related to the half size,
i.e. there is only a size 9 and size 8 shell, if you want an 8.5
you get an 8 with a thinner liner.

With the previous T1, an 8.5 was a 9 with a THICKER liner. This I know
from selling them for a couple of years. Are you sure about this
regarding the new T1? I am quite curious as I am planning to mail
order a new set and go up a half size for slightly warmer touring. My
current T1s are sized very snugly.
Old September 13th 03, 05:48 PM

Old September 13th 03, 06:14 PM
Arthur

On Sat, 13 Sep 2003 17:48:35 +0000 (UTC),
bbense+rec.skiing.backcountry.Sep.13.03@telemark. slac.stanford.edu
wrote:

In article , Arthur no wrote:

_ The thin/thickness of the liners is related to the half size,
i.e. there is only a size 9 and size 8 shell, if you want an 8.5
you get an 8 with a thinner liner.

With the previous T1, an 8.5 was a 9 with a THICKER liner. This I know
from selling them for a couple of years. Are you sure about this
regarding the new T1?

_ Sorry, I just buy them. I knew it was one way or the other, but
I couldn't remember exactly which way. Since many of the parts
don't change molds over the years, I suspect you're still correct
and I'm wrong. I wrote it your way first and then second guessed
myself. My apologies for misleading anyone.

I am quite curious as I am planning to mail
order a new set and go up a half size for slightly warmer touring. My
current T1s are sized very snugly.

_ You should probably check with someone that knows for sure,
i.e. email . I've had good luck emailing them with
questions in the past.

_ Booker C. Bense

Many thanks for the reply. I spoke with the good folks at Bent Gate in
Colorado, and they confirmed my suspicions regarding Scarpas, new and
old. However, just to add to the confusion, Garmont appears to have
the shell break on the half size, as per your original post.
Old September 13th 03, 06:21 PM
samos

"tse" wrote in message ...
I've been on Scarpa T2's for over a decade now. Even since they switched to
the yellow/black design, with the too burely liners, I have been patching
together the old black T2's because I like the fit and peformance so much.
But I may need to find a new boot this year and I'm wondering what the best
call is?

I always liked the thin liner in the Terminator, they allowed me to feel the
edge better than the thickly padded newer liners. The flex never crimpted
my toes, etc.

I ski fast, steep and hopefully soft. I live in Aspen, hike highlands often
but mostly in-bounds skiing about 100 days a year. As you can imagine I
tear through the Scarpa toe plastic and buckles regularly, but the fit keep
my a fan, until they changed the design.

So ... what should my next boot be ???????????

-Tom

I've also used the old Terminators for a long time. I got a new pair
of yellow and black last year. I must admit that I choosed to stick
with Scarpa since they fit me well and also that I got over 500 days
of skiing with the old purple ones.

The new yellow and black are pure support. In-bounds, I can (if I want
to) ski faster, with less fatigue and more control. But in the
backcountry they are stiff and I often switch to alpine turns when it
gets in the steep and deep. I guess some people would call this
cheating. I don't call it at all. I just ski down. It's not that I
can't do my tele turns, It's just that it seems to work better the
alpine way in certains grounds. Maybe these boots are not meant for
the backcountry but I don't have a different pair of boots for in and
out of bounds. I don't regret buying the newer T1's. I still do tele
turns but when it's time for real power... the T1s come closer the the
stiffness of an alpine boot. Meaning that your tele technique would
probably change if you go for the T1s.

Friends who ski Garmont say that don't like the T1 cause after trying
it, they say that the feeling of telemark is better with the Garmont
(G-force). They're still dropping the knees in the deep and steep.

samos

Anybody who got the new T1's like them in the backcountry ? Still
dropping the knees when it's steep and deep ?
Old September 15th 03, 08:04 PM
Martin Thornquist

[ lac.stanford.edu ]

_ I think the choice between Garmont and Scarpa is mostly on
which shell matches your foot shape better. Since you seem to
have scarpa shaped feet, you might try looking at Crispi boots.

I have Scarpa shaped feet, and I thought Crispi something-or-other was
a bit wide when I tried them (in the shop) last year. T1 fits me very
well.

Martin
--
"An ideal world is left as an exercise to the reader."
-Paul Graham, On Lisp
Old September 15th 03, 10:06 PM