Lone Pine to Mammoth in 9 minutes

Old September 20th 13, 03:24 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
Richard Henry

Default Lone Pine to Mammoth in 9 minutes

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h6ZzqDV1W5Y

Mostly boring drive through the desert, but with a surprise in the middle.
Old September 20th 13, 03:28 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
Richard Henry

About once a year, you get this kind of excitement -

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7oOEWWH7QqE
Old September 20th 13, 04:11 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
lal_truckee

On 9/20/13 8:24 AM, Richard Henry wrote:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h6ZzqDV1W5Y

Mostly boring drive through the desert, but with a surprise in the middle.

Funny - I was watching the early part and thinking "this guy's passing
everybody - he's way beyond keeping up with the flow" and sure enough ...
Old September 20th 13, 05:09 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
Richard Henry

Watching it, and another video showing the drive the other way, I was remembering my first trips down that road when it was mostly 2 lanes, and most of the 4-lane sections were in the towns. Local cops could pick off speeders trying to get around the trucks and RVs, especially on Sunday night southbound.

Now that the road is all 4 lanes except for about 10 miles north of Olancha, the CHP uses aircraft to pick off speeders out in the open country.
Old September 20th 13, 10:44 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
The Real Bev[_4_]

On 09/20/2013 10:09 AM, Richard Henry wrote:

Watching it, and another video showing the drive the other way, I was
remembering my first trips down that road when it was mostly 2 lanes,
and most of the 4-lane sections were in the towns. Local cops could
pick off speeders trying to get around the trucks and RVs, especially
on Sunday night southbound.

Passing was a real thrill because of the truck-hiding undulations in the
road. Damn kids just don't know how to drive any more :-(

Now that the road is all 4 lanes except for about 10 miles north of
Olancha, the CHP uses aircraft to pick off speeders out in the open
country.

Best motorcycling in the world at Kennedy Meadows up Nine-Mile Canyon to
the west. Or at least it was 30 years ago.

I was looking for a video of a drive from 395 to Mammoth/June in winter.
Gave up after a while, but saw some pretty damn impressive landslides.

--
Cheers, Bev
"This would be the best of all possible worlds, if there
Old September 22nd 13, 03:39 AM posted to rec.skiing.alpine

Never been in that part of CA, but now would really like to go there.
Old September 22nd 13, 03:52 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
Richard Henry

On Saturday, September 21, 2013 8:39:07 PM UTC-7, wrote:
Never been in that part of CA, but now would really like to go there.

Not shown is the real desert south of Lone Pine, which is either 3 hours from Cajon Pass (the current formal south end of 395 - it used to be numbered all the way to San DIego before I15 was finished), or 3 and half from Palmdale (partly on SR14) (plus whatever time it takes to get to those points). My original quick directions from home to Mammoth - go north 7 hours on 395, then turn left.

Old September 24th 13, 10:45 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
pigo[_2_]

The part of 395 that I liked was always the part N. of Mohave.

Old September 25th 13, 05:52 AM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
The Real Bev[_4_]

On 09/24/2013 03:45 PM, pigo wrote:

On Sunday, September 22, 2013 9:52:02 AM UTC-6, Richard Henry wrote:

The part of 395 that I liked was always the part N. of Mohave.

My favorite part was riding through the alfalfa fields on the way from
Yosemite to LA in July. We didn't pee because the dry heat sucked it
all out of us between gas stops every 100 miles. (1980 GoldWing)

--
Cheers, Bev
"If the Eskimos have a thousand different words for "snow," does this

Old September 25th 13, 02:10 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
pigo[_2_]

On Tuesday, September 24, 2013 11:52:29 PM UTC-6, The Real Bev wrote:

I left a wallet in a gas station in Mohave one time and didn't realize it until Lone Pine. I was moving a girlfriends stuff to Tahoe where I lived at the time. My Kawasaki 650 was also in the truck. I think the round trip was about 3 hours, it was a long time ago. But the detail I do remember was that I averaged 90 mph. for the run! Wallet was there, finder took $20, returned the rest. I was good with that.

The Lone Tree Club Murren ?? Jerseybean European Ski Resorts 0 September 17th 06 08:50 PM
ironing pine tar Tim Dudley Nordic Skiing 4 January 23rd 04 03:40 AM
Pine Tar for KDSorenson Nordic Skiing 1 January 4th 04 01:59 PM
rental just minutes fron balsams and sunday river [email protected] Snowboarding 0 September 10th 03 03:55 AM
ski rental just minutes from balsams and sunday river [email protected] Marketplace 0 September 10th 03 03:52 AM