Two more months of waiting

Old September 19th 13, 12:16 AM posted to rec.skiing.alpine

Default Two more months of waiting

On Wednesday, 18 September 2013 15:57:41 UTC-6, twobuddha wrote:
On Wednesday, September 18, 2013 10:10:55 AM UTC-7, Richard Henry wrote:

On Wednesday, September 18, 2013 9:34:12 AM UTC-7, wrote:

On Mon, 16 Sep 2013 22:37:31 -0700, The Real Bev

wrote this crap:

White isn't a good color for a ski jacket. Replacement is two-tone

gray/black -- awfully conservative, but more noticeable than white. Or

maybe the blue one -- fits better, but fewer pockets. The black one is

strange. It has a zip-in liner, but the only way it zips in makes three

otherwise really useful pockets inaccessible without taking the jacket

off. Stupid design, which is perhaps why the original owner sold it

without using it. I could probably re-do the zipper, but that's a lot of

work...

Pockets are important. You need one for your whiskey flask and

another for your rum flask. You need another for those unimportant

things like ID, keys, cell phone and credit cards. And you need a

hidden pocket for your emergency rum flask.

There's no need to fear if Trunky is near.

When I bought the Lands' end jacket, I thought I was purchasing a raincoat. I was surprised to learn that it is a perfectly good ski parka, with lots of zipped pockets, an adjustable waist cuff, a hideable hood, a lift-ticket attachment point, and one outside and two inside pockets just perfect for ski passes.

Gumby.

An overweight, chicken-legged, terminal intermediate, touron from that famous ski-town Seattle, calling someone a gumby. Oh, the irony. Yup, that's right folks... only here on r.s.a.

Dance some more Monkeyboi. The whole world is laughing at you.
Old September 19th 13, 07:00 AM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
Richard Henry

wrote this crap:

[...]

Chicken legged? Touron? From one of the best big cities where you can ski good mountains in the world? Idiot, Seattle has a higher percentage of skiers than any city other than SLC. Eight areas within three hours. Not to mention I've skied 95 or so ski areas, a helluva lot more than you, gumby. And have great gear.

And you are so ****ing stupid that you want to defend a posing dumb**** who skis a LE city jacket?

Not to mention you're such a piece of **** lying coward that you don't even have the balls to ID yourself, gumby?

Oh, the irony.

That's not irony. That's ****ing stupidity. On your part.

Yup, that's right folks... only here on r.s.a.

Actually, idiocy and cowardice like yours can be found all over usenet, freak. What's that name again, gumby? I bet you own Arc, right?

Dance some more Monkeyboi. The whole world is laughing at you.

Imagine how everyone within earshot would laugh at you if I saw you in person and you crapped your diapers, pppppppppuuuuuuuuussssssssyyyyyyy. Not only stupid, but so ****ing stupid you write an idiotic line like "The whole world is laughing at you." The whole ****ing world? BWHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA, etc. I guess the whole world is just as dickless as you and hiding in anonymity, since no one in the whole world has ever had the balls to laugh at me in person.

Gumby. Now go buy a basic LE jacket like Henry so you can be RSA hip, slick, and kewl.

City jacket?

It looks kind of like this (only cheaper) -

http://www.landsend.com/products/men...t/id_244039_59
Old September 19th 13, 12:57 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
BrritSki[_3_]

On 19/09/2013 09:00, Richard Henry wrote:

It looks kind of like this (only cheaper) -

http://www.landsend.com/products/men...t/id_244039_59

Nice, I came across a real bargain in Costco a couple of years ago and
found a Helly Hansen jacket for less than half the online price. It's a
great jacket apart from the hood which flopped about outside until I had
some velcro sewn on to it so it rolls up and closes on the collar.

Best feature is the ski-pass pocket on the sleeve - most of the top
resorts in Europe now have hands-free turnstiles, so it's really useful
and much easier than having it round your neck or in a breast pocket.

It was nice to get a bargain, but when you earn good money (even
retired!) it's not a very high priority !

Old September 19th 13, 04:33 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
Richard Henry

On Thursday, September 19, 2013 5:57:40 AM UTC-7, BrritSki wrote:
On 19/09/2013 09:00, Richard Henry wrote:

It looks kind of like this (only cheaper) -

http://www.landsend.com/products/men...t/id_244039_59

Nice, I came across a real bargain in Costco a couple of years ago and

found a Helly Hansen jacket for less than half the online price. It's a

great jacket apart from the hood which flopped about outside until I had

some velcro sewn on to it so it rolls up and closes on the collar.

Best feature is the ski-pass pocket on the sleeve - most of the top

resorts in Europe now have hands-free turnstiles, so it's really useful

and much easier than having it round your neck or in a breast pocket.

It was nice to get a bargain, but when you earn good money (even

retired!) it's not a very high priority !

I didn't even think about the inner pocket down about waist level until I got my Mammoth RFID pass. The pass in that pocket is just about the right level to open the liftline gates.

At Big Bear, they still are old-fashioned enough to use a barcode scanner pass. I have the tether for that pass secured in the upper inner pocket (there is a reinforced hole for that purpose) with the pass itself in the outer pocket during the day so I can pop it out for the scanner and then put it away while riding the lift.
Old September 19th 13, 05:02 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
The Real Bev[_4_]

On 09/19/2013 09:33 AM, Richard Henry wrote:

I didn't even think about the inner pocket down about waist level
until I got my Mammoth RFID pass. The pass in that pocket is just
about the right level to open the liftline gates.

At Big Bear, they still are old-fashioned enough to use a barcode
scanner pass. I have the tether for that pass secured in the upper
inner pocket (there is a reinforced hole for that purpose) with the
pass itself in the outer pocket during the day so I can pop it out
for the scanner and then put it away while riding the lift.

Stupid Burton jacket has two pass pockets with transparent covers AND
velcroed cloth covers so you have to either leave the cover flapping,
which it probably won't do, or you have to take a glove off to pull the
cover open. The second one is uncovered, but on the inside of the
jacket so you have to pull the bottom up so the liftie can see it. And
no convenient way of stowing the hood out of the way either. Don't
these people ever ask users what they think of something before they
make a zillion of them?

One of my older pants has a sewn-in loop about 6" above the knee which
is perfect. Newer ones have it at waist level, which is dumb. I keep
meaning to add one myself...

Given that they don't bother to barcode everybody every time, what kind
of useful data can they possibly be gathering?

--
Cheers, Bev
"My dad used to say: Laugh, and the whole world laughs with you.
Old September 19th 13, 06:55 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine

On Thu, 19 Sep 2013 09:33:43 -0700 (PDT), Richard Henry
wrote this crap:

I didn't even think about the inner pocket down about waist level

Is that a good place to hold an emergency rum flask?

There's no need to fear if Trunky is near.
Old September 19th 13, 06:59 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine

On Thu, 19 Sep 2013 10:02:21 -0700, The Real Bev
wrote this crap:

Stupid Burton jacket has two pass pockets with transparent covers AND
velcroed cloth covers so you have to either leave the cover flapping,
which it probably won't do, or you have to take a glove off to pull the
cover open. The second one is uncovered, but on the inside of the
jacket so you have to pull the bottom up so the liftie can see it. And
no convenient way of stowing the hood out of the way either. Don't
these people ever ask users what they think of something before they
make a zillion of them?

They do. I was an engineer. They know what people want but the
dumbass bean counters change the specs. Marketing and bean counters
tell you what you want.

There's no need to fear if Trunky is near.
Old September 19th 13, 07:06 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
Richard Henry

wrote this crap:

I didn't even think about the inner pocket down about waist level

Is that a good place to hold an emergency rum flask?

There's no need to fear if Trunky is near.

Only if it is about the size of a credit card.
Old September 19th 13, 07:12 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine

wrote this crap:

I didn't even think about the inner pocket down about waist level

Is that a good place to hold an emergency rum flask?

Only if it is about the size of a credit card.

Then it certainly won't hold a forty ouncer.

There's no need to fear if Trunky is near.