Les Carroz D'arraches in March

Old October 9th 05, 02:31 PM
Colin Irvine

On Fri, 07 Oct 2005 21:18:41 GMT, "Andy Petersen"
squeezed out the following:

Yes, but the useful advice, even though marked with a "smiley" (which by the
way I do understand) was meant to infer

but not imply, I'm sure of that.

Sorry, Ace - I really couldn't resist!

--
Colin Irvine
Old October 9th 05, 11:24 PM
gronski

"Ace" wrote:
2561m, I think you'll find ;-)

But if one were driving from Les Carooz it would make more sense to
park at Let Molliets or Vernant, where there are big car parks and
good lifts into the system. From Vernant, less than ten mins from Les
C., just two 6-man chairs are needed to drop one directly into the
Flaine bowl.

"Andy Petersen" wrote:
Thanks for reminding me why I stopped posting to this newsgroup - pedantic
point scoring does nothing to help the to help the guy asking the question
does it? Unless you think that 61m will make all the difference?

Sorry Andy, but I didn't perceive any "pedantic point scoring" in Ace's reply.

The 2561m bit actually has a smiley appended to it (i.e.the ";-)" bit).
In case you're unfamiliar with internet newsgroups I should perhaps explain that
a ";-)" symbol usually signifies a comment should not to be taken too seriously.

As far as his other comment about the best place to park to access the Flaine
skiing is concerned then that seems a perfectly legitimate response to me.

Old October 13th 05, 09:21 AM
Ace

On Sun, 09 Oct 2005 15:31:38 +0100, Colin Irvine
wrote:

On Fri, 07 Oct 2005 21:18:41 GMT, "Andy Petersen"
squeezed out the following:

Yes, but the useful advice, even though marked with a "smiley" (which by the
way I do understand) was meant to infer

but not imply, I'm sure of that.

Quite so. I suppose I should have picked it up, for yet more 'pedantic
points-scoring'.

--
Ace (brucedotrogers a.t rochedotcom)
Old October 13th 05, 08:59 PM
Pip Luscher

On Sat, 8 Oct 2005 17:41:03 +0100, pete devlin
wrote:

In message .com,
SteveH writes
We were there in a heat wave and it was slushy almost to the very top
of Flaine but the runs back to Carroz still had good cover on them (and
fat skis are SO much fun in slush - I really enjoyed the final run down
to the resort at the end of the day... I had to go back up and do it
again a few times:-). I'm told it got colder after this and they had
powder skiing in April last year.

Slush is the poor man's powder.

Umm. This implies a level of poverty I hadn't considered possible!

--
-Pip
Old October 14th 05, 07:15 AM
Ace

wrote:

Slush is the poor man's powder.

Umm. This implies a level of poverty I hadn't considered possible!

You're doing it wrong then ;-)

--
Ace (brucedotrogers a.t rochedotcom)
Old October 14th 05, 08:06 AM
BrritSki

wrote:

In message .com,
SteveH writes

We were there in a heat wave and it was slushy almost to the very top
of Flaine but the runs back to Carroz still had good cover on them (and
fat skis are SO much fun in slush - I really enjoyed the final run down
to the resort at the end of the day... I had to go back up and do it
again a few times:-). I'm told it got colder after this and they had
powder skiing in April last year.

Slush is the poor man's powder.

Umm. This implies a level of poverty I hadn't considered possible!

I think what Pete means is that if you have very good technique then you
can ski slush just like powder. I didn't believe it either, but it's
starting to happen when I'm not tired and am happy to attack it.
Powder's much nicer and less messy though when things go wrong.

Old October 14th 05, 07:48 PM
Pip Luscher

On Fri, 14 Oct 2005 09:06:17 +0100, BrritSki
wrote:

I think what Pete means is that if you have very good technique then you
can ski slush just like powder. I didn't believe it either, but it's
starting to happen when I'm not tired and am happy to attack it.
Powder's much nicer and less messy though when things go wrong.

Ah. My last memory of slush was returning to Courchevel from Val
Thorens at the end of the season. The VT side of the Meribel valley
was just mounds of slush at the end of the day. Incredibly hot and
hard work and the slush ended up as rather salty from all the sweat I
was dripping!

I did consider taking a snowboard, but the icy Courchevel side of the
valley in the morning on the outward trip put me off that idea!

--
-Pip
Old October 14th 05, 10:32 PM
Adrian Tupper

Pip Luscher wrote in
:

wrote:

I think what Pete means is that if you have very good technique then you
can ski slush just like powder. I didn't believe it either, but it's
starting to happen when I'm not tired and am happy to attack it.
Powder's much nicer and less messy though when things go wrong.

Ah. My last memory of slush was returning to Courchevel from Val
Thorens at the end of the season. The VT side of the Meribel valley
was just mounds of slush at the end of the day. Incredibly hot and
hard work and the slush ended up as rather salty from all the sweat I
was dripping!

I did consider taking a snowboard, but the icy Courchevel side of the
valley in the morning on the outward trip put me off that idea!

We had a slushy time at Feldberg last April. It was raining whilst we
were skiing (slowly). The piste was literally dissolving in front of us!

--
Adrian
Old October 15th 05, 05:02 PM
Colin Irvine

On Thu, 13 Oct 2005 11:21:08 +0200, Ace squeezed
out the following:

wrote:

On Fri, 07 Oct 2005 21:18:41 GMT, "Andy Petersen"
squeezed out the following:

Yes, but the useful advice, even though marked with a "smiley" (which by the
way I do understand) was meant to infer

but not imply, I'm sure of that.

Quite so. I suppose I should have picked it up, for yet more 'pedantic
points-scoring'.

Nah - leave the pedantry to me!

--
Colin Irvine
Old October 15th 05, 05:32 PM
Pip Luscher

On 14 Oct 2005 22:32:48 GMT, Adrian Tupper
wrote:

Pip Luscher wrote in
:

wrote:

I think what Pete means is that if you have very good technique then you
can ski slush just like powder. I didn't believe it either, but it's
starting to happen when I'm not tired and am happy to attack it.
Powder's much nicer and less messy though when things go wrong.

Ah. My last memory of slush was returning to Courchevel from Val
Thorens at the end of the season. The VT side of the Meribel valley
was just mounds of slush at the end of the day. Incredibly hot and
hard work and the slush ended up as rather salty from all the sweat I
was dripping!

I did consider taking a snowboard, but the icy Courchevel side of the
valley in the morning on the outward trip put me off that idea!

We had a slushy time at Feldberg last April. It was raining whilst we
were skiing (slowly). The piste was literally dissolving in front of us!

I did ski in La Bresse in the Vosges one year. On the day after we
arrived the rain just hammered down. Later that night we were all
glumly looking at the swollen stream that passed our appartment,
thinking "well, there goes the piste".

In fact, though slightly limited, the area remained surprisingly
skiable. The drag lifts were terribly icy, though.

--
-Pip