Les Carroz D'arraches in March

Old October 6th 05, 05:24 PM
Mike Mather

Default Les Carroz D'arraches in March

Has anyone any experience of Les Carroz in mid March. I have the chance of a
week commencing 12th March next year.

The resort is linked to Flaine and the Grand Massif, so there'll be plenty
of skiing, but at 1140 metres, is it too low for that time of year.

Any other feedback would be useful.

Mike

Old October 6th 05, 06:03 PM
Steve

Most of Les Carroz skiing is higher than the resort, more like 2200-1600
so the skiing will be fine, but it's debatable whether you'll be able to
ski all the way back to the resort. I've seen it nearly all grass but
equally seen it with a metre at that time of year at resort level.
You'll almost certainly be able to ski back to the top of the Les Carroz
goldola.

Steve

:

Old October 6th 05, 09:02 PM
Rod

Steve wrote:
Most of Les Carroz skiing is higher than the resort, more like 2200-1600
so the skiing will be fine, but it's debatable whether you'll be able to
ski all the way back to the resort. I've seen it nearly all grass but
equally seen it with a metre at that time of year at resort level.
You'll almost certainly be able to ski back to the top of the Les Carroz
goldola.

Steve

I agree with Steve, even when it's green at the bottom they've always
managed to keep one run down to the resort open. There is plenty of
choice towards Morillon and Samoens (where we will be in March).

Rod
Old October 6th 05, 09:45 PM
Andy Petersen

"Mike Mather" wrote in message

Has anyone any experience of Les Carroz in mid March.

I was there at almost exactly that date last season and there was no problem
with the skiing at all - we were able to ski back to resort no problem. If
you do have a problem remember that Flaine is only a 20 min drive away and
goes up to 2500m.

Andy

Old October 7th 05, 07:35 AM
Ace

On Thu, 06 Oct 2005 21:45:57 GMT, "Andy Petersen"
wrote:

"Mike Mather" wrote in message

Has anyone any experience of Les Carroz in mid March.

I was there at almost exactly that date last season and there was no problem
with the skiing at all - we were able to ski back to resort no problem. If
you do have a problem remember that Flaine is only a 20 min drive away and
goes up to 2500m.

2561m, I think you'll find ;-)

But if one were driving from Les Carooz it would make more sense to
park at Let Molliets or Vernant, where there are big car parks and
good lifts into the system. From Vernant, less than ten mins from Les
C., just two 6-man chairs are needed to drop one directly into the
Flaine bowl.

--
Ace (brucedotrogers a.t rochedotcom)
Old October 7th 05, 01:24 PM
SteveH

I've been to Les Carroz a few times in the last couple of years, early
and late season and I was there in mid-March last year and it was fine.
To be honest I'm always surprised when people ask about conditions in
March, I've always considered it to be a reliable month. I guess if you
are used to the big resorts at 1800m+ like Val and the 3-valleys then
1100m seems very low, but I've never had any problems at that time of
year in any resort.

We were there in a heat wave and it was slushy almost to the very top
of Flaine but the runs back to Carroz still had good cover on them (and
fat skis are SO much fun in slush - I really enjoyed the final run down
to the resort at the end of the day... I had to go back up and do it
again a few times:-). I'm told it got colder after this and they had
powder skiing in April last year. I'm sure Ace will confirm that this
is not at all unusual for that area. They have a lot of snow canons on
the run back down to the resort in Carroz so they build up a solid base
in the early season which shoud last well into March even in the warmer
years.

Steve

Old October 7th 05, 01:33 PM
Ace

On 7 Oct 2005 06:24:35 -0700, "SteveH"
wrote:

We were there in a heat wave and it was slushy almost to the very top
of Flaine but the runs back to Carroz still had good cover on them (and
fat skis are SO much fun in slush - I really enjoyed the final run down
to the resort at the end of the day... I had to go back up and do it
again a few times:-).

Heh. I know just what you mean.

I'm told it got colder after this and they had
powder skiing in April last year. I'm sure Ace will confirm that this
is not at all unusual for that area.

I think I've skiied the Grand Massif at, or towards, the end of season
(i.e 2nd or 3rd week in April) for the last six years, and _always_
had some days with fresh powder. Certainly always plenty of untracked
snow to be found, even when it's not strictly powder.

They have a lot of snow canons on the run back down to the resort

I've now got this image of loads of snowmen outfitted as Anglican
priests standing at the side of the pistes. TYVM.

in Carroz so they build up a solid base
in the early season which shoud last well into March even in the warmer
years.

Trouble is that they're a bit more south-facing than those in Samoens
and Morillon, so the Carroz ones tend to be the first to shut. But as
you say, March should be absolutely fine.

--
Ace (brucedotrogers a.t rochedotcom)
Old October 7th 05, 03:32 PM
Andy Petersen

Thanks for reminding me why I stopped posting to this newsgroup - pedantic
point scoring does nothing to help the to help the guy asking the question
does it? Unless you think that 61m will make all the difference?

Andy

2561m, I think you'll find ;-)

But if one were driving from Les Carooz it would make more sense to
park at Let Molliets or Vernant, where there are big car parks and
good lifts into the system. From Vernant, less than ten mins from Les
C., just two 6-man chairs are needed to drop one directly into the
Flaine bowl.

--
Ace (brucedotrogers a.t rochedotcom)
All opinions expressed are personal and in no way represent those of the

Ski Club.

Old October 7th 05, 03:45 PM
BrritSki

Oh and we've really missed you, please don't go away again.

As for that @hole Ace, he never helps anyone or makes a joke, you never
see any smileys in his posts or helpful information about where to park.
We wouldn't miss his helpful posts at all !

HTH HAND

Old October 7th 05, 04:06 PM
Ace

On Fri, 07 Oct 2005 15:32:25 GMT, "Andy Petersen"
wrote:

Thanks for reminding me why I stopped posting to this newsgroup - pedantic
point scoring does nothing to help the to help the guy asking the question
does it? Unless you think that 61m will make all the difference?

Not at all, hence the winking smiley, which you obviously completely
fail to understand. I tend to refer to the max height at Flaine as
2600 rather than 2500, and it just happened that I had a Flaine piste
map kicking around on my desk to get the correct figure.

As for being helpful, I rather felt that the rest of my post added
some useful information to what you'd posted. You may agree or not -
frankly, I couldn't be less bothered.

--
Ace (brucedotrogers a.t rochedotcom)