AT combinations/Backcountry Skiing in Newfoundland

Old September 24th 03, 01:39 AM
Vinnie

Gary, you're always good for a quote...I'm gonna use that one now that it's
in the public domain, K?
:-)
Vinnie

"Gary S." Idontwantspam@net wrote in message
On Tue, 23 Sep 2003 15:41:51 +0000 (UTC),
bbense+rec.skiing.backcountry.Sep.23.03@telemark. slac.stanford.edu
wrote:

_ As far as I know the only non-sticky skins you can get are the
Voile Snake skins which I would not reccomend for anything but
straight up and down yo-yo skiing.

_ The PAM thing still makes no sense to me. Do they spray it on
the P-Tex base or on the knap side of the skins?

I have used skin wax on the fuzzy side, to keep our New England
"powder" from sticking to them, especially helpful with wet, goopy
snow, or certain temp ranges where refreezing is an issue.

I have heard of people using spray silicon for really wet conditions,
also on the fuzzy side, but overspray is a concern.

Not sure is making your gear smell like food is really wise.

Happy trails,
Gary (net.yogi.bear)

Gary D. Schwartz, Needham, MA, USA

Old September 24th 03, 03:01 AM
Bob Inkpen

Chris Webster wrote in message ...
Sooner or later, everybody I've skied with that uses sticky skins shows up
with a can of "PAM" to spray on their bases before or during the outing.
Not sure "what the $#@%$@# " it is supposed to do for you, but there it
is...big as life, taking up space in their packs, maybe it's a Colorado
thing, that dry snow can get kind downright sticky when conditions are just
so.

I don't know who you are skiing with, but in my ~15 years skiing in
Colorado exclusively with people with sticky skins, I've never seen a
can of Pam or anything of the sort....

--Chris

Just wanted to take a minute to thank the group for the fedback on my
posting. Number of things I'd like to say... we use Pam on our cross
country bindings and our dog's feet to prevent the dreaded ballup.
The dog loves it, but it slightly discolours white plastic ski parts.
I hear you loud and clear on the soft boots, seems they'd work best in
soft snow. Definitely intend to get a much fatter ski just to see
what they're like in good conditions. Not too worried about the
bindings as the weight difference is minimal for my needs. Like most
people, I've skiied on a lot of different stuff over the years. The
boots progressed from single leather, to double leather laceups, to
lace up inner with buckled outer, to leather lace up inner and plastic
outer. I even had a pair of Koflachs in the early 70's with steel
plates on the outside. The skis have changed from single piece wood
with lingstone edges requiring heated pine tar treatment,(and
Johnson's paste wax) to wooden skis with plastic bases and metal
edges, to 'metal' (Heads) and 'fiberglass' (VR17's). Bindings were
finicky for the longest time, and delayed release, or no release at
all, often caused grief to some body part or another until the early
ninties. I've never loved skiing more than I do today, and I've never
felt safer than on the rigs that I ski on now. I'm looking forward to
making the transition to AT gear as the BC skiing here is pretty good
for a small place. We've got the Avy gear, and done the Level I
course. In March, we're going to check out Chamonix with some friends
who are regulars there. I'd like to thank Vinnie for the Colorado
pics, they were truly awsome. I hope he found the ones from here a
bit different from what he's used to. Here's a website of a photo
diary by a skiier in the Chamonix area. Hope you like it...
http://www.philingle.com
Bob;-))
Old September 24th 03, 05:54 AM
Hal Murray

_ In the Sierra, this is pretty much an everyday issue and
I highly reccommend Ascension Gob Stopper wax.

And for waxless (fishscale) skiis?

Maxi-Glide

Hard wax often works well in the non-scaley sections.

--
The suespammers.org mail server is located in California. So are all my
other mailboxes. Please do not send unsolicited bulk e-mail or unsolicited

Old September 24th 03, 03:09 PM

Old September 24th 03, 08:36 PM
Nick Branch

Booker,
How do you apply the wax to fishscale such that you get coverage in the
right angle at the base of the grip edge of the scale?
Glop stopper works fine on East Coast as well.
Anyone have comments on the new, allegedly hydrophobic skins?
Nick Branch
bbense+rec.skiing.backcountry.Sep.24.03@telemark. slac.stanford.edu wrote
in message ...

Old September 24th 03, 11:28 PM
AES/newspost

In article ,
"Nick Branch" wrote:

And for waxless (fishscale) skiis?

_ I hot wax the whole base of the ski, both scales and not
scales. I use an all purpose wax like Hertel Hot Sauce. If you're
frugal with the wax[1], it doesn't take too much work with a
stiff nylon brush to get the excess wax off the scales. This
works pretty well with both postive and negative bases to improve
the glide of the ski. Most days in the Sierra you don't need
to be too anal about getting the excess wax off, that lovely
corn makes a fine wax remover....

Hmmm -- I've been carrying a small plastic bottle of the expensive
fluorine-based liquid no-stick stuff, with sponge applicator under the
cap, that they sell at Alpenglow in TC and using it when things get
sticky.

Simple and seems to work, but I've no basis for comparing it to anything
else.
Old September 25th 03, 06:39 PM

Tai Chi Skiing yunlong Alpine Skiing 8 December 17th 04 03:50 PM
Masters Skiing Camps Nordic Skiing Instruction Nordic Skiing 0 November 1st 04 12:47 PM
RFC - The Nordic Skiing Project the Nordic Skiing Project Nordic Skiing 2 September 24th 04 05:50 PM
Skiing in Utah BRL Nordic Skiing 5 November 25th 03 06:43 PM