Beginners need advice on skiing in Europe

Old August 19th 04, 11:19 AM
AH

I went to Livigno over Christmas in 2002. Its pretty snow sure, from 1800m
to 3000m. We went with Inghams, which was pretty cheap.. about 300 pounds
for the accomodation, transfers and flights. Its a pretty good resort for
beginners. Its also tax free when you're there, so you can buy a litre of
vodka for about 5 euros.

"Ralph" wrote in message
m...
Hi, my girlfriend and I want to go skiing for the first time ever. We
plan to go over Christmas somewhere in Europe (we live in London at
the moment). I am a bit overwhelmed by the choices available on the
web. Can anyone help with advice on a good European Resort to go to
for beginners that has a very good prospect of snow at Winter; has
good atmosphere i.e. the fireplace and all that, for a budget price.
Ideally we would love to book a package which includes ski hire,
instruction etc - is there anywhere that does that. THANKS!!

Old August 20th 04, 05:07 PM
pete devlin

In message , john elgy
writes
Good skiers put in far less effort than novices and take more rest
while actually skiing. I bet you stand up and relax while cruising down
red and black runs, whereas many novices appear to be constantly
fighting the slope, doing lots of turns with masses of physical effort.

Agree. Any kind of raised fitness level will be beneficial in countering
this.

I also have great doubts about the altitude argument. Diet (ie
consumption of complex carbohydrates) has probably a more important
role.

Why?

At what altitude does our performance drop say 10-15%?

Skiing altitude I would wager. To test this just try walking up hill for
a couple hundred meters when at 1800m or above and then try it at home.
I'll bet you notice a huge difference, I do.

Most of my skiing effort is done anaerobically ie 30 secs to a minute
intense effort down a mogul field followed by relaxing and recovering.
The reduced oxygen in the air cannot alter that anaerobic depletion,
but may alter the recovery rate.

I agree with the recovery rate thing. Anaerobic performance depends on
the level of oxygenation in the blood to start with. This will be lower.
FWIW I very rarely ski anaerobically, and I do some pretty gnarly stuff.
Racing mostly accounts for this. IME mogul performance increases with
fitness and therefore is not quite over the anaerobic threshold.

Surely if altitude was a major component of performance restriction we
would all be like mountaineers stopping and panting for very long
periods after a few steps (or a few turns), but then being able to
continue.

I've never seen them do that at the altitudes we ski. Along the same
lines I've never seen skiers make base camps to prepare themselves
against altitude sickness either [1] so we are talking different
altitudes!

We stop at the end of the day with tired and aching muscles (local
muscle soreness) rather than struggle with getting our breath.

And start it with a hang over!

--
Pete Devlin
A man's home is his castle, in a manor of speaking.
Old August 20th 04, 06:15 PM
pete devlin

In message , pete devlin
writes

I've never seen them do that at the altitudes we ski. Along the same
lines I've never seen skiers make base camps to prepare themselves
against altitude sickness either [1] so we are talking different
altitudes!

Doh! Forgot my footnote.

[1] Except some ski touring buddies who conquered Elbrus.
Old August 20th 04, 10:20 PM
Sue

In message , pete devlin
writes

At what altitude does our performance drop say 10-15%?

Skiing altitude I would wager. To test this just try walking up hill
for a couple hundred meters when at 1800m or above and then try it at
home. I'll bet you notice a huge difference, I do.

Absolutely - at 2000m I hurried 20m up a steepish bank carrying my skis,
and at the top I had to breathe deeply several times!
You don't get that at 50m.

--
Sue ];(