actual skiing content!!!

Old October 29th 13, 07:02 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine,rec.skiing.alpine.moderated
VtSkier[_6_]

Default actual skiing content!!!

Yes folks, the ski season has begun in New England. Killington opened
Thursday with skiing from 1:30 PM to 3:30 PM, again on Friday as a party
for season pass holders which included free lunch for them.

Saturday and Sunday they were open for anybody.

I went up Saturday and skied from 8:30 AM until about 2:00 PM. Lots of
people having lots of fun.

The K-1 Gondola was open to transport you to the top. You would ski down
Great Northern to North Ridge and Rime trail to the bottom of North
Ridge Triple. Take laps on North Ridge including all of Rime, Reason had
a small park set up for the kids and Upper Double Dipper was open as
well as Upper East Fall, so you had basically 2 and a half trails to ski
off one lift. But hey! It was white and slippery. My characterization
was, "Amazingly not bad."

The rub came at the end of the day. With no snow from North Ridge down,
you had to go to the top of North Ridge triple and walk up the Summit
Walkway aka "Stairway to Heaven". That's a mostly wooden walkway that is
750 feet long and has 226 steps up to take you back to the top of the
Gondola which you download to get back to the base area.

I noted that people did this at lunchtime. Found that the trip getting
down was so exhausting that they never came back after lunch so the
crowd thinned out considerably. I knew all this and so I took a sandwich
up with me which is why I lasted until about 2.

But hey, it's skiing in October. I also understand that Stowe opened
Saturday as well but I'm not sure of other areas... maybe Sunday River.

Anybody else get skiing this past weekend? Let us know.

By the way, the mountain says that weather permitting, they are open for
the season. We are expecting a couple of warm days at the end of the
week but they don't think it will close them down. Skiing, however, will
remain limited for a while. I don't plan to go back until I can ski top
to bottom. I like the walkway for what it allows us to do, but I'm
really TFO (too f--ing old) to walk it very often.

Old October 29th 13, 07:45 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine,rec.skiing.alpine.moderated
Walt

On 10/29/2013 4:02 PM, VtSkier wrote:

Anybody else get skiing this past weekend? Let us know.

Nope, but I did wait patiently for the lifts to open.

http://epicski.onthesnow.com/t/12253...-lifts-to-open

--
//Walt

Old October 30th 13, 02:28 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine

On Tue, 29 Oct 2013 16:02:51 -0400, VtSkier wrote
this crap:

Yes folks, the ski season has begun in New England. Killington opened
Thursday with skiing from 1:30 PM to 3:30 PM, again on Friday as a party
for season pass holders which included free lunch for them.

Saturday and Sunday they were open for anybody.

I went up Saturday and skied from 8:30 AM until about 2:00 PM. Lots of
people having lots of fun.

The K-1 Gondola was open to transport you to the top. You would ski down
Great Northern to North Ridge and Rime trail to the bottom of North
Ridge Triple. Take laps on North Ridge including all of Rime, Reason had
a small park set up for the kids and Upper Double Dipper was open as
well as Upper East Fall, so you had basically 2 and a half trails to ski
off one lift. But hey! It was white and slippery. My characterization
was, "Amazingly not bad."

Was Superstar and The Outer Limits open? Those are the only two I
remember, and Juggernaut. I suppose I can get a trail map and remind
myself of the others.

There's no need to fear if Trunky is near.
Old October 31st 13, 02:05 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine,rec.skiing.alpine.moderated
Walt

On 10/29/2013 4:02 PM, VtSkier wrote:
But hey, it's skiing in October. I also understand that Stowe opened
Saturday as well but I'm not sure of other areas... maybe Sunday River.

On The Snow only lists Loveland, ABasin, and Kmart as being open so far.
I would expect a number of others this weekend.

http://www.onthesnow.com/open_resorts_all.html

Anybody else get skiing this past weekend? Let us know.

Not yet, but we're getting the

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c7D1kBP8YAU

--
//Walt

Old October 31st 13, 08:06 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
VtSkier[_6_]

On 10/30/2013 11:28 AM, wrote:
[...]

No. North Ridge is on the side, up high, of Killington Peak and is
therefore the best place to make and keep snow early on. Almost no sun,
ever. Bear (Outer Limits) faces due east, is low down and where we go in
mid-winter when it's unBEARable elsewhere.

Superstar is good late season, but not early. and Juggernaut is, well,
no fun unless you have cross country gear. I've skied parts of it and
maybe this year, if we get a really icy day, I'll do the whole thing.

There's no need to fear if Trunky is near.

Old October 31st 13, 08:34 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine

On Thu, 31 Oct 2013 17:06:28 -0400, VtSkier wrote
this crap:

Superstar is good late season, but not early. and Juggernaut is, well,
no fun unless you have cross country gear. I've skied parts of it and
maybe this year, if we get a really icy day, I'll do the whole thing.

I did all of Juggernaut. My one brother told us we HAD to do it. It's
long and boring and you are skating all the way down. But it's one of
these things you have to do on a Killington trip. They say it's the
longest run in the US.

There's no need to fear if Trunky is near.
Old November 1st 13, 01:26 AM posted to rec.skiing.alpine

On Thu, 31 Oct 2013 15:21:45 -0700 (PDT), twobuddha
wrote this crap:

Superstar is good late season, but not early. and Juggernaut is, well,
no fun unless you have cross country gear. I've skied parts of it and
maybe this year, if we get a really icy day, I'll do the whole thing.

I did all of Juggernaut. My one brother told us we HAD to do it. It's
long and boring and you are skating all the way down. But it's one of
these things you have to do on a Killington trip. They say it's the
longest run in the US.

Horvath skiing a bunny run and bragging about it. What do I expect?

Have you done it, coward? I can visualize you huffing and puffing
part of the way down. Then praying, Oh Zeus! Why didn't I bring my
duct-taped moped?

I am Iron Man. I live a life of action, action, and danger. Trunky
fears me. Women find me irresistible. Men find me at the VFW.