What skis for 4 year old?

Old September 22nd 03, 04:30 PM
Tim Sampson

Default What skis for 4 year old?

Hi

My 4 year old daughter tried skiing last Christmas on hire skis (tiny little
Head skis - probably about 60cm) and managed to enjoy herself. We are going
back to Norway this Christmas and I would like to get her her own skis. What
would you suggest? Would some little blades be a good idea, or just small
skis? Is there anything that would be good for now but would also last a
year or three?

TIA
Tim

Old September 22nd 03, 05:38 PM
Rob Bradlee

At age 4 to 5 she will be ready for real skis and
boots. I'll never forget skiing with my daughter just
a week after she turned five. She had small, waxable
Fischer "Sprints" on with Salomon SNS boots. She went
down a little hill which had a short, steep spot. The
skis sped up suddenly, but she flexed her knees and
rode through the dip without sitting down. This big
grin spread over her face. She had "got" it.

One other point: Don't think about going anywhere.
Just play games. Tag. Jumps. Searching for elves in
the woods. Chasing daddy while he skis backwards
(that's good training for you!).

I miss those days, but at least she takes me for rides
in her BMW now...

Rob Bradlee

--- Tim Sampson
wrote:
Hi

My 4 year old daughter tried skiing last Christmas
on hire skis (tiny little
Head skis - probably about 60cm) and managed to
enjoy herself. We are going
back to Norway this Christmas and I would like to
get her her own skis. What
would you suggest? Would some little blades be a
good idea, or just small
skis? Is there anything that would be good for now
but would also last a
year or three?

TIA
Tim

=====
Rob Bradlee
Java, C++, Perl, XML, OOAD, Linux, and Unix Training

Old September 22nd 03, 09:01 PM
Tim Sampson

Rob Bradlee wrote:

At age 4 to 5 she will be ready for real skis and
boots.

What are we talking about here, how long, etc? (BTW, I know very little
about skis or skiing).

I'll never forget skiing with my daughter just
a week after she turned five. She had small, waxable
Fischer "Sprints" on with Salomon SNS boots. She went
down a little hill which had a short, steep spot. The
skis sped up suddenly, but she flexed her knees and
rode through the dip without sitting down. This big
grin spread over her face. She had "got" it.

Nice! I remember the look on my daughter's face when she actually stopped

One other point: Don't think about going anywhere.
Just play games. Tag. Jumps. Searching for elves in
the woods. Chasing daddy while he skis backwards
(that's good training for you!).

Daddy will be snowboarding backwards, I haven't set foot on skis yet.

I miss those days, but at least she takes me for rides
in her BMW now...

You're showing your age

Cheers
Tim

Old September 23rd 03, 12:37 AM
Rob Bradlee

At age 4 to 5 she will be ready for real skis and
boots.

What are we talking about here, how long, etc? (BTW,
I know very little
about skis or skiing).

I'm not an expert on fitting little kids' skis, but I
suspect that the length should be about the same as
their height. I just got my Eagle River Nordic
catalog and it has some nice little Fischer skis for
kids.

Daddy will be snowboarding backwards, I haven't set
foot on skis yet.

If there are other little kids to play with or a ski
school she will have the best time. Kids love to
play.

I miss those days, but at least she takes me for

rides
in her BMW now...

You're showing your age

And feeling my age!

Rob

=====

Old September 23rd 03, 01:10 AM
George Cleveland

On Mon, 22 Sep 2003 17:30:25 +0100, "Tim Sampson"
wrote:

Hi

My 4 year old daughter tried skiing last Christmas on hire skis (tiny little
Head skis - probably about 60cm) and managed to enjoy herself. We are going
back to Norway this Christmas and I would like to get her her own skis. What
would you suggest? Would some little blades be a good idea, or just small
skis? Is there anything that would be good for now but would also last a
year or three?

TIA
Tim

Are you talking about xc skis?

g.c.
Old September 23rd 03, 07:05 AM
Tim Sampson

wrote:

Hi

My 4 year old daughter tried skiing last Christmas on hire skis
(tiny little Head skis - probably about 60cm) and managed to enjoy
herself. We are going back to Norway this Christmas and I would like
to get her her own skis. What would you suggest? Would some little
blades be a good idea, or just small skis? Is there anything that
would be good for now but would also last a year or three?

TIA
Tim

Are you talking about xc skis?

Erm, I don't know! I just want something really easy and fun for her. I
think the ones she hired last year were headliners.

Anyone know anything about Kneissl Bigfoot Little?

Cheers
Tim

Old September 23rd 03, 09:15 AM
Tim Sampson

"Rob Bradlee" wrote in message
o.com...

If there are other little kids to play with or a ski
school she will have the best time. Kids love to
play.

Oh yes, her best friend moved to Norway and when they get together it's like
they have never been apart (we live in England). They will have loads of
fun.

Cheers
Tim