Skiing in Vermont - No Whiners Please.

Old May 9th 04, 07:48 AM
UtahSkierNotAshamed

Default Skiing in Vermont - No Whiners Please.

Hi,

Before I get started, yes, I have searched for the answer to my
question, but I'm getting too old to wade through the threads
that discuss political issues and other digressions (a major
problem with Usenet) - I just want to ski.

Also, I'm looking for real information about skiing. If you're
going to reply about how cold it is on the mountain, or about
how the wind blows on the lift, don't bother. I don't care
about that.

Here's my question:

I've been skiing for many years (35 - and not just once per
year). I'm 40 now, and starting to slow down. I figure I have
about 10 more years of aggressive skiing left in me. So, I'm
trying to hit most of the world's top areas in that time.

I'm planning to ski Vermont in January or February. Where can
I go for the best ADVANCED level skiing? What can I expect if
I go off-trail (chutes? ladders (kidding)? chopped up crud?
avalanche debris?) Is it as icy as I hear it is? Is it steep?
How deep does the snow get (no Chamber of Commerce answers -
please give me the straight dope). Is there alot of snow
making?

Thanks in advance.

UtahSkierNotAshamed
Old May 9th 04, 04:49 PM
JQ

"UtahSkierNotAshamed" wrote in message
om...
[...]

1. Killington - lots of different terrain and challenges, steeps, moguls
and trees lots of snow making.
2. Mad River Glen - grooming only on the cat trails, no snow making, tree
and mogul skiing, skiing as it used to be in the early days you can ski much
of the mountain here not just the marked trails, draw back very slow lifts.
3. Jay Peak - I haven't skied there but have heard a lot of great things
about the place as far as challenging terrain is concerned.
4. New Hampshire - Wild Cat & Attitash Bear both have steeps, moguls and
tree runs.

JQ
Dancing on the edge

Old May 9th 04, 05:22 PM
snoig

[...]

Killington - The biggest but not necessarly the best. The most crowded and
dangerous. Usually has more fatalities then any other eastern resort. They
opened early and stayed open late which is when I always skied it. During
January midweek it should be pretty good. Make sure you don't go there
during Presidents Day or MLK Day. It's one of the biggest if not the
biggest (I don't keep track since I moved to Colorado) so you have to get in
at least one day there.

Stowe - Has one of the nicest villages. Some really good terrian but not
what it used to be since they blasted a blue run down the steepest part of
the mountain.

Jay Peak - It's got the tram and usually the best/most snow in Vermont. The
re is some really good skiing off the tram if there is enough snow.

Mad River Glen - Like they say 'Ski it if you can'. Some of the best
advanced terrian when the conditions are right.

Sugarbush / SB North - One of my favorite areas when I lived back east.
It's next to Mad River so you can hit them all from one base of operations.

Stratton - I always liked it but it's not as challenging and it big $$$
these days from what I hear.

Don't forget, there are lots of smaller areas where I always had a lot of
fun. Places like Burke, Smuggs or Bolton Valley were always a good call for
weekends. They may not have been as challenging but there were fewer lines.
Some of this info may be a bit dated. I skied most areas in Vermont when I
lived back East but it been awhile. And don't forget to dress warm.
Vermont in January/February is cold, cold, cold.

snoig

Old May 9th 04, 07:36 PM
lal_truckee

UtahSkierNotAshamed wrote:

I'm 40 now, and starting to slow down. I figure I have
about 10 more years of aggressive skiing left in me.

That's your choice.
There's no govenment agency requiring you to slow down.
Old May 9th 04, 07:52 PM
BrritSki

lal_truckee wrote:

UtahSkierNotAshamed wrote:

I'm 40 now, and starting to slow down. I figure I have
about 10 more years of aggressive skiing left in me.

That's your choice.
There's no govenment agency requiring you to slow down.

Quite. At 56 I now ski as fast and aggressively as I have ever done.
More so if anything.
Old May 9th 04, 07:59 PM
Ron

I'm 43 and I have no immeadiate plans for slowing down . I may be imagining
things but I could swear I get better every year . As of 2 years ago I
started learning jumps in the terrain parks and I'm actually getting the
hang of it . Only problem I can see is the injuries take much longer to heal
than the youngins . But my determination balances that out . When I miss a
landing and fall on my hip I feel like the old lady in the commercial 'help
I've fallen and I can't get up' . But my insane training regimine seems to
help tremendously and also prevents alot of injuries . Anyway when I'm in
the terrain parks in full gear with my helmet on they don't know I'm 43 .
Thanx Lal_truckee for reminding me I'm not alone in my thinking . Now back
to the original question 'skiing in Vermont ' I agree with most of the
places mentioned except Stratton , I found Stratton to be a great time but
not very challenging . I'm surprised nobody mentioned Mt. Snow so I will .
It's one of my favorite places in Vermont . Damn I can't wait till next
season now .

Ron

Old May 9th 04, 09:34 PM
Bob Lee

BrritSki wrote:

lal_truckee wrote:

UtahSkierNotAshamed wrote:

I'm 40 now, and starting to slow down. I figure I have
about 10 more years of aggressive skiing left in me.

That's your choice.
There's no govenment agency requiring you to slow down.

Quite. At 56 I now ski as fast and aggressively as I have ever done.
More so if anything.

I'm with these guys, but at 52 I'm the baby of the crowd. Still, I ski
as steep and fast as I want. I applaud USNA for setting some goals, but
I'd suggest just doing it for the sheer hell of it.

Bob
Old May 10th 04, 01:20 AM
Mike Yetsko

1. Killington - lots of different terrain and challenges, steeps, moguls
and trees lots of snow making.

I will never ever go back to Killington. Felt ripped off last time I was
there and left a VERY bad taste in my mouth.

3. Jay Peak - I haven't skied there but have heard a lot of great things
about the place as far as challenging terrain is concerned.

This is a GREAT place! But it's a haul, and not really a day trip from
where I live. Reasonably priced too.

Don't rule out some of the smaller places for a 'day experience' that may
be unique, like Suicide Six.

Stratton is expensive, but it's actually a nice place.

But... There's a small state park in PA that claims they have the
steepest slope in the Eastern US. Ski Denton, formerly Denton
Hill State Park back in the 70's. It's About an hour and a half
north of Williamsport right on Rt 6 between Galeton and
Coudersport. In the sticks, where there are more BEAR in
the counties than people.

Mike

Old May 10th 04, 02:24 AM
Dave Stallard

UtahSkierNotAshamed wrote:

I'm planning to ski Vermont in January or February. Where can
I go for the best ADVANCED level skiing?

Stowe has the fabled Front Four for steeps. A lot of people like
Castlerock at Sugarbush. Mad River Glen is the au natural area.

What can I expect if
I go off-trail (chutes? ladders (kidding)? chopped up crud?
avalanche debris?)

To get your ticket pulled . Actually, tree-skiing is big in the East
now. That's the only off-piste skiing for the most part. The only
above treeline skiing I know of in the East is Sugarloaf in Maine.

As for avalanche debris, forget it.

Is it as icy as I hear it is?

Yup.

Is it steep?

Usually not, though the Stowe Front Four should qualify.

How deep does the snow get (no Chamber of Commerce answers -
please give me the straight dope).

Not very. But, as others have suggested, try Jay Peak in northern
Vermont. It has very snowy weather thanks to the lake effect from Lake
Champlain, and other aspects of its geography (something about the
plains to the north). Jay actually gets more snow than some western
areas, and it is often powdery.

Is there alot of snow
making?

Only as much as an area can get water for and contract electrical power
for. Which is a lot. Vermont actually has water wars over snowmaking -
fisherman don't like the effect on the local rivers.

Dave