Rock skate ski's, bought new

Old December 5th 06, 06:25 AM posted to rec.skiing.nordic
Jan Gerrit Klok

Default Rock skate ski's, bought new

Hi all,

2nd hand skate ski's do not exist over here. Really, hundreds of classic
listings in classifieds, zero skate-related. .

So I'm looking at geting my first pair of ski's, to hit the once a year 1"+
snow, and to make my first snow moves. Welcome to Holland and please meet
the greenhouse effect.
Which lower end ski's are o be advised? Any European B-brands? I've seen ca.
?80 skis once, but lost the link. Which big brands' entry level ski's
(~?150) are not too different in level from race ski's, thus appropriate for
lacking snow conditions and training on surprise snow?
I'd like to mount SNS Pilot bindings, I had to choose something and this was
it.

Thanks for your thoughts!

Old December 5th 06, 04:43 PM posted to rec.skiing.nordic
Jan Gerrit Klok

schreef in bericht
ups.com...
Can't beat Sierra Trading Post: sierratradingpost.com

Sseems to be clothing and boots only, and US focussed.
I'm looking for affordable ski's, tips of specific models to look for, in
Europe.

Old December 5th 06, 04:52 PM posted to rec.skiing.nordic
Melinda Shore

In article ,
Jan Gerrit Klok wrote:
I'm looking for affordable ski's, tips of specific models to look for, in
Europe.

You need skis that fit properly. I'd email several shops,
explaining what you're looking for, and see what they can do
for you. If money is an issue and you have to make a choice
I'd choose decent skis that fit well over high-tech
clothing. But honestly I wouldn't spend a dime on either
skis or clothes until I'd been on snow at least once.

Old December 5th 06, 05:19 PM posted to rec.skiing.nordic
Bjorn A. Payne Diaz

For rock skis, it doesn't matter much what you ski on. For years my
rock skis were some old Blizzards that I bought from a hardware store.
Really soft, but when you have 1" of snow and the ground is uneven, a
soft pair of skis is kind of nice. People would look at them and shake
their head. Then I used an old set of Peltonens that were given to me
(160 cm). Again soft, but for free, who cares. People would look at
these and say "I remember when Peltonen thought those would sell." In
2004 it was my wife's old skis. Actually, these were not a bad set of
skis based on 1988 standards, and the best set of rock skis I've used.
Now all I have is old skis (not rock skis). Each pair is in great
shape, so it's hard to put dings in any.

You need a connection to a skiing community. If people are using their
gear, after 5 years or so, people like to get rid of the old and in
with the new. That's were the deals are. Even the local ski shop has a
$50 barrel for skis that just didn't sell during the previous season.
(New skis.) I wouldn't worry much about brand, size, fit or whatever.
Just find a somewhat modern ski with some bindings that seem about the
right size and hit a golf course, soccer field or something with nice
grass. Watch out for the tarmac paths. They'll take you down in a
heartbeat.

Jay

Old December 5th 06, 08:11 PM posted to rec.skiing.nordic
Camilo

I can't give you specific model numbers off hand, but I have purchased
2nd and 3rd tier Atomic classic and skate skis for my kids for rock
skis when I couldn't find the right size used skis. They are much,
much cheaper than first line skis, seem to have good flex and glide
characteristics and have proven to be excellent for training in "rock"
conditions. Possibly the main difference is weight.

So my advice, if you can't find suitable used skis - investigate buying
lower-grade new skis from any of the major manufacturers. They can be
quite affordable (1/2 to 1/3 the cost of top line models - even less if
you're lucky and find old stock) and excellent skis.

If you're mail ordering, another benefit is that you can order based on
your weight, etc. rather than the typical used ski transaction in which
you pick something up without really knowig the flex.

Old December 5th 06, 11:22 PM posted to rec.skiing.nordic
Jan Gerrit Klok

Thanks Jay!

The local XC ski/rollerski club is not returning my emails, I was supposed
to be invited for a training and get myself enlisted.

That's what I figured, any remotely fitting ski will do for sneeking in an
hour of skiing as it rapidly melts away from under my feet.
Since there are no XC ski shops in this country with enough turnover for
such discounts (really old stock is sold like new), and skating doesn't
exist, I was looking at just having a set of modern entry level skis come
with a pair of boots a shop would be shipping me anyway.

Madshus Ultrasonic Skate are only ?129.95 at
http://www.sportalbert.de/Product.aspx?p=1318166 . Good brand, entry level
model, I guess. NNN-specific it seems, deal breaker unfortunately, unless
I'd get boots with it.

Same price, Atomic Pro Skate.
http://www.globetrotter.de/de/shop/d...k_id=0805&hot=
0

Both seem decent for what I'd use them for? More high-end ski's that match
my weight and strength better will follow for sure.

"Bjorn A. Payne Diaz" schreef in bericht
ps.com...

Old December 6th 06, 12:27 AM posted to rec.skiing.nordic

Jan Gerrit Klok wrote:
Hi all,

2nd hand skate ski's do not exist over here. Really, hundreds of classic
listings in classifieds, zero skate-related. .

You can get tons of used ski stuff on eBay.

J Tegeder
"Keep training, lycra never lies!" JT

Old December 6th 06, 12:45 AM posted to rec.skiing.nordic
Camilo

Jan Gerrit Klok wrote:
[...]

I think both would be great not only for rock skis but for any skiing.
You will find they ski very well, as long as they are flexed for your
weight. Make sure when you order that you tell them your weight.
There is no reason why a lower end ski shouldn't fit you as well as a
higher end ski and perform excellently.

As for the Madshus / NNN thing: Do they require that you purchase NNN
bindings with the skis? Why don't you ask them if you can substitute
Salomon bindings. I do not understand why they wouldn't let you have
your choice of bindings.

Both Madshus and Atomic are excellent skis - you won't go wrong with
either as long as you get the correct flex. As you gain experience,
you might find you prefer one over the other, but there is no inherent
difference in quality (In my opinion, of course!)

Good luck!