Women's bindings ahead of, or behind men's?

Old December 18th 03, 02:02 PM
Toller

Default Women's bindings ahead of, or behind men's?

I vaguely remember that women's bindings are set a bit ahead of or behind
men's bindings because their center of balance is different. Which is it?

Reason I ask is that I am giving my son my old skis (too soft for me, but he
is 25 pounds lighter) and putting my wife in his skis. Although she weighs
almost as much as he did last year, her foot is much smaller. Moving the
rear binding up has the effect of moving the whole binding up a bit. So, if
women are set ahead of men I am fine. If women are behind, I guess I have
to move the front binding instead, which I would rather not do Thanks.

(My sons old skis and my wifes old skis are both 13m radius, but hers have
moderate tips and tails, and his have really wide tips and narrow tails.
Her friends tell her she would ski better if she had shaped skis and she
thinks his are shaped while they tell her that hers aren't. Some friends.)

Old December 18th 03, 02:08 PM
nafod40

Toller wrote:
I vaguely remember that women's bindings are set a bit ahead of or behind
men's bindings because their center of balance is different. Which is it?

I'm not a ski shop dude, but if you pause while walking through the mall
to notice where their center of mass is (hint: rhymes with "mass")
you'll know their bindings are probably forward of men's.

Old December 18th 03, 04:03 PM
lal_truckee

Toller wrote:

[...]

Some "experts" claim a centimeter or so forward helps women center on
skis, so you should be alright. In any case moving bindings forward
makes skis a more reactive, while moving bindings back encourages
straight ahead tracking; so the skis will be skiable in any case, and
maybe more to her liking with the bindings forward a bit.

Like most things, try it, see if she likes it.

Aside: I think there's enough variation in human bodies that this sort
of fore-aft binding tweeking could help either sex, particularly for
extreme body types. I also think that the act of skiing is so dynamic
that skiers instant by instant make more adjustment than required by all
the fore-aft, canting, forward lean, etc. Some of these equipment
worries are completely unnecessary for the amateur skier skiing on real
snow.

Old December 18th 03, 04:58 PM
www.amogen.com

I'm not a ski shop dude, but if you pause while walking through the mall
to notice where their center of mass is (hint: rhymes with "mass")
you'll know their bindings are probably forward of men's.

That all depends on the lady in question!!
Pamela Anderson (a few years ago) would have a different centre of mass than
the usual person walking through your mall!!!
Maybe there's a job there for someone feeling which weighs the most on every
woman skier!!!!

Old December 19th 03, 01:54 AM
sjjohnston

"www.amogen.com" o.uk
wrote in message ...
That all depends on the lady in question!!
Pamela Anderson (a few years ago) would have a different centre of mass

than
the usual person walking through your mall!!!

I'm pretty sure everyone's center of mass is pretty much directly above
their feet. If it weren't, they'd fall over when standing still. Which
probably happens from time to time in Pamela Anderson's case. Definitely
happens to what's-her-name on that ill-advised reality TV show ... Anna
Nicole Smith, I think that's her name.

Old December 20th 03, 10:26 AM
John

lal_truckee wrote in message ...
Toller wrote:

Aside: I think there's enough variation in human bodies that this sort
of fore-aft binding tweeking could help either sex, particularly for
extreme body types. I also think that the act of skiing is so dynamic
that skiers instant by instant make more adjustment than required by all
the fore-aft, canting, forward lean, etc. Some of these equipment
worries are completely unnecessary for the amateur skier skiing on real
snow.

The problem with the try and see approach is that drilling you skis
hurts the integrity of the ski. Moving your binding 1 cm to the right
place is probably less of a increase for performance than you lose by
drilling the ski another time. As always I would just let the shop
put my bindings on and go with it.