Turning on flat skis?

Old November 26th 09, 04:25 AM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
Dave Cartman

Default Turning on flat skis?

In article ,
VtSkier wrote:

taichiskiing wrote:
On Nov 23, 11:31 am, Alan Baker wrote:
In article

There isn't a "single preset radius turn" that one can make while
carving. The radius depends a few different factors; among them: angle
of edge, pressure and consistency of the surface.

Yes, if you pure-carve on an ideal slope, you would have gotten a
"single preset radius turn," and changing the turn-shapes is not
possible without "skidding" and "slipping." Since we don't have
"ideal" conditions, "pure-carving" is an illusion.

Actually, if you change the amount the ski is
bent, you change the effective radius of the side-
cut and therefore the radius of the turn...
without skidding.

However the skier that can do this is a rare bird.

And the bird that can do this is a very rare skier.
Old November 26th 09, 04:32 AM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
Norm

"downhill" wrote in message

Yes, if you pure-carve on an ideal slope, you would have gotten a
"single preset radius turn," and changing the turn-shapes is not
possible without "skidding" and "slipping." Since we don't have
"ideal" conditions, "pure-carving" is an illusion.

Hasn't someone here skied with itchy? How is it possible that he's
ever skied before and still writes something like this? In the other
replies you've all given valid examples of how you change turn shapes
but have left one major one, steering.

According to reports, in person he is intelligent, likable, and skis
well. He is just pulling everyones chain here, he isn't really as stupid
as he pretends to be. Its a game.

People respond to him and in his world every thing he says is gospel every
body else has a problem. Since the beginning he has changed meaning of
words and laws of physics why should he change

mental illness comes in all forms and degrees.

Last week was showing some of itchy famous claims to a client as a point
that your posting will follow you for a bit and even flakes can find a
audience on the net. We were also looking at a article in vintage
motorsports that featured his engineering and restoration shop for F1 cars
and trying to find ways of attracting more clients. Cheese dip is a good
bench mark for what not to do to attract good clients.

On his skiing he failed to yield in slow zones and argued he was good
enough to ski fast in slow zones.

my logic argues he ain't worth much bandwidth or time....

Totally agree. Thats why he shares my killfile space with Scott and most of
the other morons who hang out here only to bait him. My point is he does it
on purpose because he seems to enjoy the reaction je gets. Don't feed the
trolls and they will go somewhere they get the attention they desire.

Old November 26th 09, 04:35 AM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
Yabahoobs

On Nov 25, 5:19*pm, Gonar the Incontinent wrote:
On Nov 25, 11:30*am, Dave Cartman wrote:

In article
,

*taichiskiing wrote:
On Nov 25, 9:56*am, Dave Cartman wrote:
In article
,

*taichiskiing wrote:
On Nov 24, 2:55 pm, lal_truckee wrote:
taichiskiing wrote:

Yes, if you pure-carve on an ideal slope, you would have gotten a
"single preset radius turn," and changing the turn-shapes is not
possible without "skidding" and "slipping."

Error: Complete misunderstanding of the interaction of ski design,
edging, and weighting.

Blah, blah, blah...

That is one of the more ironic posts I've seen here in a while. *LAL is
rigorously on topic and always well informed.

Blah, blah, blah...

Okay, it's a little less ironic when you use it on me

Blah, blah, blah, gapper, blah blah, carved, blah line skiing.

Blah, blah little knowledge.
Old November 26th 09, 05:45 AM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
twobuddha[_2_]

taichiskiing wrote:

Yes, if you pure-carve on an ideal slope, you would have gotten a
"single preset radius turn," and changing the turn-shapes is not
possible without "skidding" and "slipping."

Error: Complete misunderstanding of the interaction of ski design,
edging, and weighting.

Blah, blah, blah...

That is one of the more ironic posts I've seen here in a while.

Hell, that ain't nothing compared to the irony you entertain me with
on a regular basis. I guess you don't read your own bull****,
Dickless Dave.

*LAL is
rigorously on topic and always well informed.

Lloyd is a pathological liar and a cheap shot artist, not to mention
completely devoid of any apparent ethical and moral standards.

Old November 26th 09, 05:46 AM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
twobuddha[_2_]

On Nov 25, 9:59*am, Dave Cartman wrote:
In article
,

*taichiskiing wrote:
Yup, that's what I call "partitioned teaching/learning," and we have
seen too many instructors know how to do the drills, but still cannot
ski eloquently.

This sentence is like one of those "how many things do you see wrong is
this picture" puzzles. *Ski "eloquently?"

Go read Bob Thompson on global warming if you really want to be
entertained by deranged babbling.
Oooops, forgot. Birther Bob is a buddy of yours, right, and you never
criticize a fellow pathological liar.
Honor among freaks is so heartwarming.
Old November 26th 09, 05:48 AM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
twobuddha[_2_]

taichiskiing wrote:

Yes, if you pure-carve on an ideal slope, you would have gotten a
"single preset radius turn," and changing the turn-shapes is not
possible without "skidding" and "slipping."

Error: Complete misunderstanding of the interaction of ski design,
edging, and weighting.

Blah, blah, blah...

That is one of the more ironic posts I've seen here in a while. *LAL is
rigorously on topic and always well informed.

Blah, blah, blah...

IS- Hide quoted text -

Toecheese, I gotta hand it to you. You play these freaks with a true
virtuosity. Easy, ain't they?
Old November 26th 09, 03:49 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
pigo[_2_]

On Nov 25, 5:48*pm, VtSkier wrote:

Actually, if you change the amount the ski is
bent, you change the effective radius of the side-
cut and therefore the radius of the turn...
without skidding.

However the skier that can do this is a rare bird.

In my mind it's the radius of the sidecut that effects the amount that
you can bend the ski. And the amount angle off of flat changes the
effective radius of the sidecut. That's not to say that you are wrong,
its just how my brain processes it. Half full/half empty.

I don't know how it relates to the new "auto pilot" equipment either.
I'm coming from a longer skinnier POV.
Old November 26th 09, 04:19 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
taichiskiing

On Nov 25, 11:18 am, Yabahoobs wrote:

taichiskiing wrote:
Yup, that's what I call "partitioned teaching/learning," and we have
seen too many instructors know how to do the drills, but still cannot
ski eloquently.

This sentence is like one of those "how many things do you see wrong is
this picture" puzzles. Ski "eloquently?"

Skiing is not a body language? The line you left behind, which
reflects your techniques and spirits, marks your signature.

IS

Does vanity dominate EVERY aspect of your life, or just skiing ?

What do you think, I ski everyday during the skiing season, so that's
averaging about 150 days a year, is that a vanity or reality?

IS
Old November 26th 09, 04:21 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
taichiskiing

On Nov 25, 11:50 am, Alan Baker wrote:
In article ,
taichiskiing wrote:
On Nov 24, 10:24 am, Alan Baker wrote:
In article ,
taichiskiing wrote:

You were bragging about that you were racer, and yet, what you have
not won any title proves that your racing techniques/knowledge has
already failed, what do you "have" to "coach in correct techniques"?

I wasn't bragging. I was pointing it out. If you do something for years,
you learn about it.

If I were you, I were not even mention it to boost my technical
abilities after failed to win any title in the past glories. Even now
you still have got a lot to learn.

"Yes, sorry for your delusion."

LOL

Boring.

No wonder they put you at the bottom to teach the beginners; don't
look the sprays, look his "knee" movements, he was carving. And that
wasn't my question, I was asking how's your "instructor assessments"/
MA matches up to that described in the video clip. You cannot tell the
difference between beginners and experts.

Nope. Sorry.

Boring.

Of course. How can you "coach"/be a good coach where you don't even
know what your coach function is?

I'm not a coach, so why does it matter? And moreover, how does it show
you know the difference between a coach and an instructor?

So your "ski coach" title just a figurehead?

Instructor gives instructions, step by step, as the client is assumed
as "know nothing" on the subject; coach gives guidance, based on the
client's own skiing abilities, to improve/enhance the client's skiing
abilities, not your own way of skiing. As a coach, you don't tell your
clients that they are "wrong," which you commonly do, only because
they have different ideas from you, and you don't based on that idea
and proceed to give the client completely new set of different
techniques thinking that you know better so it is a better solution.
What you did on RSA, if not for bashing, you have done a poor coaching
job.

Nevertheless, he does demonstrate what you CSIA teaching/techniques
are.

No, actually. The video demonstrates only the CSIA's overall approach to
classifying students.

You are referring the wrong clip, here's the right clip,
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Fbdq1wXLso
CSIA level 3 maneuvers

The fact is there's no mentioned anywhere on the 'net or anywhere else
that you CSIA teaches parallel skiing by teaching sideslipping first.

But there is in the CSIA instruction handbook. I have one.

Ok, quote it.

Yup, that's what I call "partitioned teaching/learning," and we have
seen too many instructors know how to do the drills, but still cannot
ski eloquently.

LOL

Ok, Mr. boring cheap LOL.

IS

--
Alan Baker
Vancouver, British Columbia

Old November 26th 09, 04:24 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
taichiskiing

On Nov 25, 12:51 pm, lal_truckee wrote:
Norm wrote:

Hasn't someone here skied with itchy? How is it possible that he's
ever skied before and still writes something like this? In the other
replies you've all given valid examples of how you change turn shapes
but have left one major one, steering.

According to reports, in person he is intelligent, likable, and skis well.
He is just pulling everyones chain here, he isn't really as stupid as he
pretends to be. Its a game.

Yeah, he skis fine, at least in bottomless which is what we had at
Alpine when taichi and Vtskier visited last. No firm so no firmpack
carving, but taichi was light and expressive on powder. Uses wide boards
but even with that handicap he pretty well kept up in the deep stuff
with me on my totally obsolete Volkl P-30s (or maybe it was original
narrow Snow Rangers - I don't recall, but those are the possibilities.)

Only problem he had was lack of poles so even short uphill traverses
looking for the goods were not possible. I suggest he carry collapsible
poles in a backpack with probes and shovel and beacon when he next
visits, since we could have had some fine untracked traversing out to
the waterfall and the sisters if he had poles.

I think he's mostly having fun with you guys.

Thanks for the compliments and the fun memory at Alpine, but methinks
your good explanations have just lost in the deaf's ears. Them gappers
are not here for the facts and truths but bashing to express their
arrogant ways. When they want to bash me, you and VtSkier are highly
regarded RSA members, but when you guys are on my side? "what the hell
with you guys," and their shameless bashing continues. But you're
mostly right though, I am having fun with them gappers. I have kicked
them 'net bullies/gappers' butts thousand times over in past ten+
years (8 in RSA) and will continue to do so if they want to continue
walking on their bashing path, but they seem enjoying it too, so we
all get our kicks, most fun. But I do appreciate their tireless
efforts though, as their bashing not just put me on the Skiing
magazine but also helping me hone my skills and now I ski stronger
than ever before, really. Thanks, gappers.

Heavenly opened on last Saturday, and I've been on it everyday they
open (closed on Sunday on wind-hold), snow is good, loose man-made and
natural mix, short, but good enough to warm the legs.

Have a good season,
IS