France Burns!

Old November 11th 05, 08:49 PM
uglymoney

Default France Burns!

The Frenchies get to look inward for once, having to worry about
something other than America, and Americans having a reason to look at
France for something other than unwelcome and almost always
condescending advice (right or wrong).

I haven't skied yet this year. I'm living through web pictures,
postings, webcams, and friends tales. It is warm here and mountains
within flying distance are too dry. Season pass purchased for local
molehill. I was up there last weekend running around the place with
my dog and the seemed to have installed even more snow blowers and
have rows of them just sitting at the top of the hill. I'd like to
thank all of the wealthy Chicago weekenders for their generous giving
of money to my hill. The place has to have more snowmaking per acre
than any place in history, or at least they are getting close. They
have huge multiple intake pipes sucking right out of the Mississippi.
It is astounding.

Chicago landers take note: I'm at Chestnut quite a lot. We could do
an RSA mini anytime, I can bring the grill.

New engine on my boat was finally installed last month, gas mileage
doubled, emissions reduced so much that the EPA awarded Evinrude an
award for their accomplishment,

http://www.evinrude.com/en-CA/Media....07.04.2005.htm

sound all but muffled. Top speed improved 8 mph to 68 which should
make for fast transport from our morning ski area to the afternoon
beer area. Moving that fast over water while listening to good music
enjoying a legal ice cold beer while driving and tuning in to the
infinity sound system which is XM, MP3, IPOD enabled, is an unhealthy
shoulder season activity, but fun. E-tec magic.

If skis were like boats you'd just clip new bindings on them every few
years and add stickers. Makes me wish for a sharp end to a long
winter.

http://home.mchsi.com/~uglymoney3/etec2.jpg
http://home.mchsi.com/~uglymoney3/etec4.jpg

Boeing just flew a plane a world record 11,640 miles in 23 hours.

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/article...866360,00.html

Need some backcountry skis to bridge the gap between my tele setup and
alpine setup... still shopping.

nate

Old November 12th 05, 12:18 AM
ant

uglymoney wrote:

Need some backcountry skis to bridge the gap between my tele setup and
alpine setup... still shopping.

How's the snow situation looking there? seems a slow start for a lot of
areas.

I have gone to extremes with skis for this season. I got me some Stockli
Laser SCs (the new models, 05/06) which are bloody fast, but too narrow and
too shapely to be fun in deep. They are brilliant in moguls though, still
can't fathom why. They are slightly taller than me, too.

And, a mate where I'm going has flogged me a pair of used-twice K2 Phat
Luvs! About the same size and shape as me. I've never had real fat skis.

--
ant
http://www.dcita.gov.au/tel/do_not_call

Old November 12th 05, 01:09 AM
uglymoney

On Sat, 12 Nov 2005 11:18:05 +1100, "ant"
wrote:

uglymoney wrote:

Need some backcountry skis to bridge the gap between my tele setup and
alpine setup... still shopping.

How's the snow situation looking there? seems a slow start for a lot of
areas.

Its snowing in summit county right now. Friend just called on way
home from A-Basin and he reported stripe like conditions today.
Around these flatlands they don't open till thanksgiving no matter
what, but they will prolly start making snow in the next couple weeks
if we get some temps in the 20's, which they are now predicting.

I have gone to extremes with skis for this season. I got me some Stockli
Laser SCs (the new models, 05/06) which are bloody fast, but too narrow and
too shapely to be fun in deep. They are brilliant in moguls though, still
can't fathom why. They are slightly taller than me, too.

And, a mate where I'm going has flogged me a pair of used-twice K2 Phat
Luvs! About the same size and shape as me. I've never had real fat skis.

Ant on fats! Sweet. You'll like. Are they pink though? I'd throw
some stickers on those things to tame em down a bit.

I have a friend trying to pawn some of the Fisher Big Stix from a
couple years back for a good price, but they are soo fat, which is why
he is selling. Great skis for going fast though. He also has a line
on some 180 Explosiv's from last year for $400. Sweet rides.

I only use this gear except while on vacation, that is my problem.
Its hard to pony up for stuff that sits in a closet most of the year,
but I am going to have to pony.... or just play games on ebay for a
while.

nate
Old November 12th 05, 01:19 AM
Let Mikey Ski It!

uglymoney said:

.. I only use this gear except while on vacation, ...

So, when you moving to Colorado?

Mike...

--
See my ski photography at http://Powderday.us
Carpe powder-diem

Old November 12th 05, 01:39 AM
ant

uglymoney wrote:

Its snowing in summit county right now. Friend just called on way
home from A-Basin and he reported stripe like conditions today.
Around these flatlands they don't open till thanksgiving no matter
what, but they will prolly start making snow in the next couple weeks
if we get some temps in the 20's, which they are now predicting.

Beaut. Summit is looking good.

Ant on fats! Sweet. You'll like. Are they pink though? I'd throw
some stickers on those things to tame em down a bit.

I'm not sure what colour they are, I know they have flowers on though!

I have a friend trying to pawn some of the Fisher Big Stix from a
couple years back for a good price, but they are soo fat, which is why
he is selling. Great skis for going fast though. He also has a line
on some 180 Explosiv's from last year for $400. Sweet rides.

I got the K2s for $200, with bindings. Bloke's wife got them for tele, but
didn't like them. They'll do me just fine. I knew the Easys were limiting me
too much on the steep with heavy deep, so as usual I fix my deficiencies
with equipment. Ditto the racers, a bit of speed won't go amiss.

I only use this gear except while on vacation, that is my problem.
Its hard to pony up for stuff that sits in a closet most of the year,
but I am going to have to pony.... or just play games on ebay for a
while.

Good stuff comes up quite a lot, if you keep an eye on it. i'm always amazed
at how cheap you can get good stuff for in the US. Big shopping expedition,
my next trip. Not just eBay either. Steep and Deep has some really nice
things pop up, for instance.

Old November 12th 05, 01:40 AM
uglymoney

On Fri, 11 Nov 2005 18:19:38 -0700, Let Mikey Ski It!
wrote:

uglymoney said:

.. I only use this gear except while on vacation, ...

So, when you moving to Colorado?

I was over in September for a while (again) and really had a great,
great trip. Spent some time in Denver talking with all the Chica's.
So many girls in that town, so little time. Did some snorkeling up in
some high mountain lakes with my drysuits, met some chica's upon
exiting the water. Did some awesome hikes down by Silverton, met some
chica's on the trail. So many girls, so little time. I wouldn't have
time to sleep.

Honestly, I love Colorado. It could happen, I predict it will, but no
gaurantees, and I wasn't born with an internal clock that lines up
with known external clocks. My friends that live there have given up
on me completely. Why I am not there, well, I'm happy here in the
summer, life is so easy, no traffic, life is easy, oh and this **** is
fun...

http://home.mchsi.com/~uglymoney3/meganpointing.jpg

I'm going to need to ski that new chair at Breck sometime Mike. If I
ever head over I'm planning on pinging you.

nate

Old November 12th 05, 01:54 AM
uglymoney

On Sat, 12 Nov 2005 12:39:02 +1100, "ant"
wrote:

I got the K2s for $200, with bindings. Bloke's wife got them for tele, but
didn't like them. They'll do me just fine. I knew the Easys were limiting me
too much on the steep with heavy deep, so as usual I fix my deficiencies
with equipment. Ditto the racers, a bit of speed won't go amiss.

Seriously, when I've done phats on the heavy stuff it turns em into
groomers if you let them run a little bit.

And you will be needing stickers!

http://www.k2skis.com/product/skis/i...o/PHAT_LUV.png

I only use this gear except while on vacation, that is my problem.
Its hard to pony up for stuff that sits in a closet most of the year,
but I am going to have to pony.... or just play games on ebay for a
while.

Good stuff comes up quite a lot, if you keep an eye on it. i'm always amazed
at how cheap you can get good stuff for in the US. Big shopping expedition,
my next trip. Not just eBay either. Steep and Deep has some really nice
things pop up, for instance.

You mean http://www.steepandcheap.com/ I think. Or maybe not.

nate
Old November 12th 05, 03:35 AM
pigo

"uglymoney" wrote in message
The Frenchies get to look inward for once, having to worry about
something other than America, and Americans having a reason to look
at
France for something other than unwelcome and almost always
condescending advice (right or wrong).

Considering that the rioters are muslims and of African or Arab
decent but are actually french citizens, which side gets to
surrender?

Old November 12th 05, 09:58 AM
ant

uglymoney wrote:

Seriously, when I've done phats on the heavy stuff it turns em into
groomers if you let them run a little bit.

And you will be needing stickers!

http://www.k2skis.com/product/skis/i...o/PHAT_LUV.png

Good grief! Oh dear, I will get laughed at in the locker room. Well, no one
will steal them. I'll be locking up the Stocklis quite a bit, but those
flowers will be safe.

You mean http://www.steepandcheap.com/ I think. Or maybe not.

Yep, I've got it linked to My Yahoo. Today, they have Dynaster Intuitivs
with a 71 waist for under $100 USD. That is a good price. And they don't
have flowers all over them.

Old November 12th 05, 11:35 AM
BrritSki

ant wrote:
uglymoney wrote:

Seriously, when I've done phats on the heavy stuff it turns em into
groomers if you let them run a little bit.

And you will be needing stickers!

http://www.k2skis.com/product/skis/i...o/PHAT_LUV.png

Good grief! Oh dear, I will get laughed at in the locker room. Well, no one
will steal them. I'll be locking up the Stocklis quite a bit, but those
flowers will be safe.

You mean http://www.steepandcheap.com/ I think. Or maybe not.

Yep, I've got it linked to My Yahoo. Today, they have Dynaster Intuitivs
with a 71 waist for under $100 USD. That is a good price. And they don't
have flowers all over them.

I hear that the 2006 follow-on to K2's Burnin' Luv will be the
Sis'titis, and then in 2007 it will be the Thrush.