Ideas on where to ski next Feb

Old September 23rd 05, 07:53 PM
Steve Olive

Default Ideas on where to ski next Feb

Hi all.

I wonder if I could pick the brains of you experienced skiiers and get a
resort recommendation or two.
Wife, child (12), and me have skied 6 times before, and the only times in
Europe were twice to Courcheval 1850 which we enjoyed. (Not surprising
really)

This time we'd like to try somewhere else in Europe, France is still fine of
course.

Here's what we liked about 1850, and therefore what we are looking for in
another resort.

1/ Plenty of snow in mid feb, and lots of beginner/intermediate terrain
2/ Excellent lifts, with manageable queues
3/ A small town, with shops to browse and plenty of eateries
4/ No more than 2.5 hours transfer
5/ Not too rowdy/brits on ****. Skied over to Meribel once, and really hated
the full English Breakfast nonsense etc..

That's all really.
We're looking at 7 days in half-term week (11th-18th Feb) so we know it will
be a busy(ish) time.
Budget is around £700 each for flights/transfers and accomodation, which
rules out a few places of course.

We'd happily rent a private apartment and book our own flights/car so
suggestions there would be good if anyone is in that market.

Thanks very much.
Steve

Old September 23rd 05, 08:13 PM
Steve Olive

"ash" wrote in message
Les Arcs, though a slightly longer transfer time.

Looks good on 1ski.com
Cheers

Old September 23rd 05, 09:44 PM
PSmith

Ischgl in Austria.
Zermatt in Switzeland.

Old September 23rd 05, 10:02 PM
Steve Olive

Blimey, Ischgl looks very good. (Don't fancy Zermatt for some reason)
Why haven't I heard of that?

Could be the one, though I do like the look of Arc 1950

Cheers though

Old September 24th 05, 08:40 AM
Adrian D. Shaw

Felly sgrifennodd Steve Olive :
Blimey, Ischgl looks very good. (Don't fancy Zermatt for some reason)
Why haven't I heard of that?

I investigated Ischgl a few years ago. I couldn't find a decent priced
Ferienwohnung anywhere near; they were all much more than I'm used to paying
in Switzerland.

Maybe I should have looked at Samnaun (linked to Ischgl but in CH), but
driving there in the winter could be a problem I guess; the road up to the
village is hairy enough in the summer!

Adrian
--
Adrian Shaw ais@
Aberystwyth, Ceredigion, Cymru ac.
Old September 24th 05, 08:53 AM
ash

Ischgl is expensive and one of the main "party" resorts in the Alps. I
haven't been myself but would love to, but I think the skiing is quite
tricky.
I would also not bother with Zermatt which was mentioned as you really need
to be a good intermediate to get the best out of it, though Cervinia, linked
to Zermatt on the Italian side, is a good bet. Snowsure, short transfer,
plenty of cruising skiing, sunny.
As for Les Arcs, I would stick to Arcs 1800 (the main one).
Another good one is Selva in Val Gardena(Italy).

Old September 24th 05, 08:57 AM
Johannes

On Fri, 23 Sep 2005 20:53:10 +0100, "Steve Olive"
wrote:

1/ Plenty of snow in mid feb, and lots of beginner/intermediate terrain
2/ Excellent lifts, with manageable queues
3/ A small town, with shops to browse and plenty of eateries
4/ No more than 2.5 hours transfer
5/ Not too rowdy/brits on ****. Skied over to Meribel once, and really hated
the full English Breakfast nonsense etc..

That's all really.
We're looking at 7 days in half-term week (11th-18th Feb) so we know it will
be a busy(ish) time.
Budget is around £700 each for flights/transfers and accomodation, which
rules out a few places of course.

We'd happily rent a private apartment and book our own flights/car so
suggestions there would be good if anyone is in that market.

Fly with Easy Jet to Basle.
Resorts: Grindelwald/Wengen, Adelboden/Lenk, Saanenland(Aera around
Gstaad). All resorts are about 2-2.5 Drive from the Airport.

Johannes
Old September 24th 05, 07:54 PM
PSmith

If you liked Courcheval, which is the "chic" French resort, then Zermatt is
the Swiss equivalent. All the superlatives which you could imagine all apply
to Zermatt. Excellent intermediate skiing. All regions are open to anyone of
intermediate standard, since the blacks can be avoided (just stay off
Stockhorn). The White Hare is one of the most scenic pistes anywhere....

Ischgl is an excellent Austrian resort. Good extensive skiing.

Cervina is OK for a trip ver the top from Zermatt. Apart from that, its just
the wrong side of the mountain!

Paul

Old September 25th 05, 08:23 AM
ash

Another good one is Flaine. Very close to Geneva airport and lots of
intermediate skiing but not a big town,though.