Snowboarder invades Alta...

Old April 3rd 05, 08:53 PM
Steve

Default Snowboarder invades Alta...

And I always thought the howitzer on the Snowbird/Alta border (by Wildcat
area) was there to keep them out!

"AstroPax" wrote in message
Yesterday, at Alta, this guy came ripping down one of the Baldy Chutes
into the Ballroom area, and then disappeared down the mountain.

I guess it was his idea of an "April Fools" joke, or something.

http://nikon.astropax.com/temp/alta_...-01-05_001.htm

-Astro

Old April 3rd 05, 10:46 PM
klaus

Steve wrote:
And I always thought the howitzer on the Snowbird/Alta border (by Wildcat
area) was there to keep them out!

I don't think that's a howitzer. It was an avalauncher last time I was
there.

-klaus

Old April 3rd 05, 11:14 PM
Mary Malmros

klaus wrote:
Steve wrote:

And I always thought the howitzer on the Snowbird/Alta border (by Wildcat
area) was there to keep them out!

I don't think that's a howitzer. It was an avalauncher last time I was
there.

My bro told me that there are some areas using old howitzers, though --
105s. Problem is, they're running out of ammo!

--
Mary Malmros
Some days you're the windshield, other days you're the bug.

Old April 3rd 05, 11:21 PM
Gary S.

On Sun, 03 Apr 2005 18:14:59 -0500, Mary Malmros
wrote:

klaus wrote:
Steve wrote:

And I always thought the howitzer on the Snowbird/Alta border (by Wildcat
area) was there to keep them out!

I don't think that's a howitzer. It was an avalauncher last time I was
there.

My bro told me that there are some areas using old howitzers, though --
105s. Problem is, they're running out of ammo!

The one they used to use in Tuckermans Ravine back in the 50s
apparently blew up on someone and injured them, so the snow rangers
stopped using it.

There are safer things to play with than a decades old bit of
artillery.

Happy trails,
Gary (net.yogi.bear)
--
At the 51st percentile of ursine intelligence

Gary D. Schwartz, Needham, MA, USA

Old April 4th 05, 12:49 AM
klaus

Mary Malmros wrote:
klaus wrote:

I don't think that's a howitzer. It was an avalauncher last time I was
there.

My bro told me that there are some areas using old howitzers, though --
105s. Problem is, they're running out of ammo!

I don't think ski areas use those anymore. I could be wrong. 'Round
here, the resorts that use projectiles use, I think, a 95mm
avalauncher. It uses compressed gas to shoot the round. The 95mm's are
getting tough to get, since those are WWII vintage. The 105mm
howitzers are still used today by the U.S. Artillary. They use
explosive charges to launch. They ship with seven powder bags, of
which two should be removed by UDOT, otherwise, they end up taking out
someone's shed.

-klaus

Old April 4th 05, 01:08 AM
lal_truckee

klaus wrote:

I don't think ski areas use those anymore. I could be wrong. 'Round
here, the resorts that use projectiles use, I think, a 95mm
avalauncher.

The "Local" has two cannon (105, I think) plus several avalanchers. Use
the cannon to punch through the high winds at blind pre-targeted sites.
The avalancher rounds drift too far to be useful at some of the
ranges/conditions on the mountain. Went out with the crews last year and
watched several rounds being fired, both cannon and avalancher. There
was some talk that the marines (army?) wanted the two guns back but they
apparently backed off.

The Local also shoots the approach road, which is interesting - several
times a triggered avalanche ran far enough to take out citizen's
garages; citizens threatened to sue - idiots can't think far enough
ahead to realize what happens if the buildup isn't triggered. Some
people shouldn't be allowed out in public.

BTW, we had an accident a few years ago with the current cannon's
predecessors out on Gunner's Knob - shell blew inside the barrel and
killed the gunner; hence the new loans from the military.

Old April 4th 05, 01:57 AM
Mary Malmros

lal_truckee wrote:

klaus wrote:

I don't think ski areas use those anymore. I could be wrong. 'Round
here, the resorts that use projectiles use, I think, a 95mm
avalauncher.

The "Local" has two cannon (105, I think) plus several avalanchers. Use
the cannon to punch through the high winds at blind pre-targeted sites.
The avalancher rounds drift too far to be useful at some of the
ranges/conditions on the mountain. Went out with the crews last year and
watched several rounds being fired, both cannon and avalancher. There
was some talk that the marines (army?) wanted the two guns back but they
apparently backed off.

Could have been either army or marines. The marines had 'em in the past
(don't think they do any more), and the army has a long history with
'em. My dad was a cannon-cocker in the army...weapon of choice, 105
howitzer.

Seems to me a howitzer would be a good tool for avy control in a lot of
cases, being that it's in between a mortar and a gun.

Old April 4th 05, 03:30 AM
chennai

Too bad it didn't have the range to DGZ in Temple Square instead of in
some poor *******s back yard!

Now, that's interesting. I've been thinking about moving to SLC,
inspired in part by your photos and raves, but I thought that becoming a
Saint was mandatory. Not true?

Old April 4th 05, 01:07 PM
Mary Malmros

chennai wrote:

Too bad it didn't have the range to DGZ in Temple Square instead of in
some poor *******s back yard!

Now, that's interesting. I've been thinking about moving to SLC,
inspired in part by your photos and raves, but I thought that becoming a
Saint was mandatory. Not true?

It's not a theocracy YET.