Aspen and Boulder, CO

Old July 4th 06, 06:32 AM posted to rec.skiing.alpine,rec.outdoors.national-parks,rec.travel.usa-canada

Default Aspen and Boulder, CO

We've been to Boulder, CO, and would like to know what Aspen is like.
Can anyone give a comparison with regards to size, culture, shops,
activities (especially for young kids), proximity to other towns?

We're thinking of going to Aspen for a week after New Years Eve but
need convincing our young children wont spend the week suffering cold
hands, feet, and snow-blindness!

Cheers.

Old July 4th 06, 07:48 AM posted to rec.skiing.alpine,rec.outdoors.national-parks,rec.travel.usa-canada
Alohacyberian

wrote in message
ups.com...
We've been to Boulder, CO, and would like to know what Aspen is like.
Can anyone give a comparison with regards to size, culture, shops,
activities (especially for young kids), proximity to other towns?

We're thinking of going to Aspen for a week after New Years Eve but
need convincing our young children wont spend the week suffering cold
hands, feet, and snow-blindness!

Aspen is entirely different from Boulder. While Boulder is at the edge of
the plains and at the bottom of the foothills, Aspen is smack in the middle
of the Rocky Mountains. Due to its higher elevation, Aspen is usually
colder in the winter than is Boulder. Boulder is a fair sized city, while
Aspen is a small town. Aspen has a lot of high-class establishments and
everything is much more expensive there than in Boulder. Aspen gets a lot
more snow than does Boulder. The snow frequently melts in the wintertime in
Boulder, while that is rarely the case in Aspen. The scenery in and around
Aspen is far superior to that of Boulder. The nearest town (city) of any
size is Glenwood Springs, which is also a very scenic place and much more
moderately priced. If you do visit Aspen, I think you'll find the
activities and uniqueness to be such that you won't be inclined to travel to
other towns which have much less to offer. Aspen has a more unique
atmosphere than does Boulder and personally, I think you would enjoy it very
much. You didn't mention how old your children are, or what they like to
do, so it's difficult to give you advice. Personally, I highly recommend
Aspen as it's one of my favorite places on the planet and I think if you go,
it will be a memorable experience, especially if you like mountain scenery.
Naturally, Aspen has world-class skiing and winter sports and is a haven for
things cultural. And I don't think you need to worry about snow-blindness,
but, if you do, sunglasses are easily obtained. KM
--
(-:alohacyberian:-) At my website there are 3600 live cameras or
visit NASA, the Vatican, the Smithsonian, the Louvre, CIA, FBI or

Old July 4th 06, 03:14 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine,rec.outdoors.national-parks,rec.travel.usa-canada
Ernie

wrote in message
ups.com...
We've been to Boulder, CO, and would like to know what Aspen is like.
Can anyone give a comparison with regards to size, culture, shops,
activities (especially for young kids), proximity to other towns?

We're thinking of going to Aspen for a week after New Years Eve but
need convincing our young children wont spend the week suffering cold
hands, feet, and snow-blindness!

Cheers.

Since this is a group about skiing, my assumption is that your interest in
Aspen is skiing.
Boulder is a very nice university town, but the nearest ski slope, Eldora,
is about 30 minute drive? In comparison to the four ski areas of Aspen,
Eldora is small.

If your children are skiers, you should consider Snowmass, and Buttermilk
(part of Aspen) with their excellent ski schools. Our grandchildren took
five days of lessons at Snowmass this past winter. They had a great time,
and learned a lot. The parents dropped the kids off at ski school in the
morning and picked them up around three in the afternoon. The ski school
includes lunch.

The website http://www.aspensnowmass.com/default...v=8&hasflash=0 has
lots of information about Aspen.
http://www.aspensnowmass.com/internationalguests.cfm is for international
visitors; http://www.aspensnowmass.com/images/misc/IntBroEng.pdf shows
average temperatures. Occasionally (2x a year?), the temperature can drop
to -10F temperature (-23C), but with reasonable choice of clothing one can
stay warm. On cold days the ski school will probably make more frequent hot
chocolate stops.

Goggles are great for keeping snow out of the eyes, and for preventing snow
blindness.

The postings at
http://groups.google.com/group/rec.s...18af19a9134514
discuss Aspen.

Regards,

Ernie

Old July 4th 06, 04:15 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine,rec.outdoors.national-parks,rec.travel.usa-canada
Mary Malmros

" wrote in
ups.com:

We've been to Boulder, CO, and would like to know what Aspen is like.
Can anyone give a comparison with regards to size, culture, shops,
activities (especially for young kids), proximity to other towns?

We're thinking of going to Aspen for a week after New Years Eve but
need convincing our young children wont spend the week suffering cold
hands, feet, and snow-blindness!

They do have heat in Aspen, you know...and sunglasses.

If your young children don't ski, and you do, you'll have the same problems
with them in Aspen that you would anytime you went skiing -- that is,
unless you get them into a kids' program. It really doesn't matter where
you go.
Old July 4th 06, 11:24 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine,rec.outdoors.national-parks,rec.travel.usa-canada
Alohacyberian

"lal_truckee" wrote in message
.net...
wrote:

need convincing our young children wont spend the week suffering cold
hands, feet, and snow-blindness!

What? You're going to keep them from the true joys of skiing?

Anyway - Aspen is one of the biggies - three mountains each with a
different flavor and fully designed to care for (and separate from their
money) tourists of all kinds. As such they have a complete complement of
activities and child-care etc so there's nothing to worry about in that
measure. If the kids are at least 3 years old just put them in the
day-care snow school at the mountain of choice and go skiing yourself;
they will get ski instruction and end the week be better skiers than you,
possibly. I'd bet there is certified baby sitting available if you show up
with 3 week old infants.

All that being said, you can do better ski wise for half or less the cost;
but it's your money.

There aren't many places where the skiing is better than Aspen - as good
maybe, but not better, unless they too are fairly pricey. Then again, the
average recreational skier doesn't need world-class slopes like Sun Valley,
Heavenly Valley, Grenoble and Aspen. KM

Old July 5th 06, 02:46 AM posted to rec.skiing.alpine,rec.outdoors.national-parks,rec.travel.usa-canada
lal_truckee

Bob Lee wrote:
Alohacyberian wrote:

There aren't many places where the skiing is better than Aspen - as good
maybe, but not better, unless they too are fairly pricey.

Are you talking about skiing or accommodations? 'Cause for a number of
people the skiing at places like Jackson Hole, La Grave, and Silverton
are what represent exceptional skiing. But Aspen does know how to put a
person up in style. Deer Valley, too.

Then again, the
average recreational skier doesn't need world-class slopes like Sun Valley,
Heavenly Valley, Grenoble and Aspen. KM

Those would be only for certain values of 'world-class slopes.'
Seriously, Heavenly?

Yeah - I knew he was trolling right at the mention of ...
Old July 5th 06, 05:32 AM posted to rec.skiing.alpine,rec.outdoors.national-parks,rec.travel.usa-canada
Alohacyberian

"Bob Lee" wrote in message
Alohacyberian wrote:

There aren't many places where the skiing is better than Aspen - as good
maybe, but not better, unless they too are fairly pricey.

Are you talking about skiing or accommodations? 'Cause for a number of
people the skiing at places like Jackson Hole, La Grave, and Silverton
are what represent exceptional skiing. But Aspen does know how to put a
person up in style. Deer Valley, too.

Then again, the
average recreational skier doesn't need world-class slopes like Sun
Valley,
Heavenly Valley, Grenoble and Aspen. KM

Those would be only for certain values of 'world-class slopes.'
Seriously, Heavenly?

Bob

Yup. Heavenly Valley has some of the longest ski runs on the planet. Or
should I have said Squaw Valley? KM

Old July 5th 06, 02:14 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine,rec.outdoors.national-parks,rec.travel.usa-canada
Richard Henry

Alohacyberian wrote:

(-:alohacyberian:-) At my website there are 3600 live cameras or
visit NASA, the Vatican, the Smithsonian, the Louvre, CIA, FBI or
CNN, NBA, the White House, Academy Awards & 150 foreign languages
Visit Hawaii, Israel and mo http://keith.martin.home.att.net/

Here's someting interesting for you. Go to youtube.com, and search for
videos with the keywords Olbermann O'reilly.

Happy viewing!