Anybody training?

Old October 12th 05, 10:24 PM
Bjorn A. Payne Diaz

Default Anybody training?

This group has been pretty dead, so I'll fire off a topic.

Each year, I keep trying the beer gut path to faster skiing. It seems
to be working so I'll stick with it.

I haven't done much rollerskiing this year. Should I be concerned?

I haven't done much intervals this year. Should I be concerned?

What have I been doing? Cycling baby. Road cycling and one mt bike ride
back in September.

Oh yeah, I ordered new skis today. (If you don't train more, get better
equipment.)

Jay (pipecleaner arms) Wenner

Old October 12th 05, 11:28 PM

Bjorn A. Payne Diaz wrote:
This group has been pretty dead, so I'll fire off a topic.

Okay, I'll bite!

What have I been doing? Cycling baby. Road cycling and one mt bike ride
back in September.
(If you don't train more, get better equipment.)

We've got some similarities here. I got a new pair of classic skis
earlier this summer and am now shopping for a new road bike. Since gas
hit $ 3 per gal, I commute on my old beater bike.

I've actually been rollerskiing pretty regularly, maybe 100K a week. A
couple-three days doing a 30K out & back course I have and at least one
day of either classic or DP stuff.

I should be (but I can't seem to make it) doing some weight work, I do
a bit of stretching a few mornings every week.

- Bob

Old October 13th 05, 12:25 AM
Gary Jacobson

wrote in message
oups.com...

Bjorn A. Payne Diaz wrote:
This group has been pretty dead, so I'll fire off a topic.

Okay, I'll bite!

What have I been doing? Cycling baby. Road cycling and one mt bike ride
back in September.
(If you don't train more, get better equipment.)

We've got some similarities here. I got a new pair of classic skis
earlier this summer and am now shopping for a new road bike. Since gas
hit $ 3 per gal, I commute on my old beater bike.

I've actually been rollerskiing pretty regularly, maybe 100K a week. A
couple-three days doing a 30K out & back course I have and at least one
day of either classic or DP stuff.

I should be (but I can't seem to make it) doing some weight work, I do
a bit of stretching a few mornings every week.

- Bob

I've been thinking about a post of the same topic.
Today I joined and went to a gym to try to get some core strength back.
Rollerksied maybe 4x since last season. Down about 1300 km. from average of
years past. Not a single major roller ski climb, and most often I do that
about once a week off season. One time on roller skis I did way too much and
was crippled for a few days. I commute regularly on one of a few classy
randonneur, touring or rough stuff bikes to and from work which is no less
than 45 miles in total. Sometimes it includes a 1500 foot climb on roads and
fire roads. But we just bought a Prius (gave away our Camry with 200K on it)
and it's dark and wet outside these days during bike commuting hours. So
riding will subside. My weight is the same as usual but my upper body isn't
strong. Hoping to get that together.
Numerous injuries as I don't stretch nor do core strength stuff. Just ride
and ride. Wood splitting started a few weeks ago once the temps. dropped
below 90 F.

Middle age skiier lamentations.

Hope to do Birkie if I can get a primo room. (Andrey?) It'll be a ski tour
at best for me. Finishing will be a goal.

Could be worse.

Gary Jacobson
Rosendale, NY

Old October 13th 05, 12:34 AM
Jim Howe

I haven't been doing much - Sitting on the couch eating potato chips
and ice cream, watching "Breaking Bonaduce" and "The Girls Next Door"
while going over the latest Norwegian VO2 max test results....should I
be concerned?

Really - Road the bike about 3,000 miles this summer while doing about
200 km/month roller skiing. Transitioning to about 150km/wk roller
skiing and running w/ less bike (once a week to recover).

jim

Old October 13th 05, 02:02 AM
sknyski

I haven't rollerskied since April, and may go out once or twice this
fall. I run a little to stay in "shape" and go to the gym twice a week
to sit on the bike and watch TV.

I cut way back on beer, does that count as training in some
inverse-sort-of-way?

No intervals, no new skis, but probably a pulk as I'll be pulling my
kid around this year.

For all of those Tahoe types who have dreamed of beating me in a race
;-), this year may be your chance - if I race!

bt

Old October 13th 05, 03:15 AM
Gene Goldenfeld

You may have plenty of time to catch up:
http://wwwa.accuweather.com/promotio...aw&page=winter

Gene (why was it I moved to the TC?) Goldenfeld

Old October 13th 05, 03:18 AM

cycle 100-150 miles a week and run once a week, just to give my butt a
rest. Occasional rollerski once a month. I know I have to do more of
the specific stuff, but rollerskiing sucks here in San Fran. Hoping to
catch up with the upper body training once the snow is there.

Old October 13th 05, 05:12 AM
Chris Esposito

Bjorn A. Payne Diaz wrote:
This group has been pretty dead, so I'll fire off a topic.

Each year, I keep trying the beer gut path to faster skiing. It seems
to be working so I'll stick with it.

I haven't done much rollerskiing this year. Should I be concerned?

I haven't done much intervals this year. Should I be concerned?

What have I been doing? Cycling baby. Road cycling and one mt bike ride
back in September.

Oh yeah, I ordered new skis today. (If you don't train more, get better
equipment.)

Jay (pipecleaner arms) Wenner

I've been having a good summer. A few thousand miles on the road bike
April - August, and 4 sprint or Olympic distance triathlons (2 in
August, 2 in September) have my weight down 7 pounds, my body fat down
to 10.8%, and both my strength and running speed the best they have been
in years.

I ordered a pair of the new Atomic waxless skis with the chemical bases;
we'll see how they work out.

Chris
Old October 13th 05, 08:52 AM
FrontRunner

Broken collarbone September 21, freak mtn bike fall. Decent training before
that. Not as much rollerskiing as in past years, about 1000km up to that
point. Got it into my head to run Grandmas in June for the first marathon
in 7 years. Got up to a 25k race in early May when nagging minor injuries
forced an abandonment of that plan. So now I have mounted a bike on a wind
trainer, but so far limited to thinking about riding it. Maybe the rest
will do me good, rationalization is my primary activity for now.

The FrontRunner

oups.com...