Hotels for a weekend in Flaine

Old March 1st 04, 02:09 PM
J.B. Memascii

Default Hotels for a weekend in Flaine

Mr Ace,

As the resident Flaineaphile can you recommend any hotels (or
guesthouses, etc.) that might cater for a long weekend? Doesn't look
as though there are many according the the Flaine site (or are these
just the approved ones?).

Cheers.
Iain.
Old March 8th 04, 08:36 AM
Ace

On 1 Mar 2004 07:09:19 -0800, (J.B. Memascii)
wrote:

Mr Ace,

As the resident Flaineaphile can you recommend any hotels (or
guesthouses, etc.) that might cater for a long weekend? Doesn't look
as though there are many according the the Flaine site (or are these
just the approved ones?).

There are precisely zero hotels or guesthouses offering weekend
accomodation in Flaine itself. The only accomodation I know of which
may sometimes be available for weekends is at the ucpa[1]
www.ucpa.fr
which is cheap, clean and basic, with youth-hostel style accomodation.
at the Front de Neige level.

There are more possibilities in Les Carroz or Samoens, but the only
one I've used personally is a small hotel just on the way into Carroz
called the Chaumiere http://www.lescarroz-chaumiere.com/. Nice little
place - been there a couple of times.

[1] Twin rooms are available, as well as larger dorm-style ones. We
stayed there for a weekend last month and were quite impressed. Bed
linen's provided but take your own towels.

They offer weekend packages, which include lift pass and Saturday
night accomodation, but were quite happy to include Friday night too.
Instruction by their level 2 instructors is also included in the
price.

We're thinking of doing a week's snowboarding instruction at Easter.
About 400 euros for the week, full board including equipment hire,
lift pass and instruction is not to be sneezed at.

--
Ace (brucedotrogers a.t rochedotcom)
Old March 8th 04, 10:41 AM
Greg Hilton

Ace wrote in news:ijdo40d7n6cdp233opv03rtafre4t49po8@
4ax.com:

We're thinking of doing a week's snowboarding instruction at Easter.
About 400 euros for the week, full board including equipment hire,
lift pass and instruction is not to be sneezed at.

Is that a flaine.com deal??? Sound very good!

Greg
Old March 8th 04, 11:00 AM
Ace

On Mon, 08 Mar 2004 11:41:43 GMT, Greg Hilton wrote:

Ace wrote in news:ijdo40d7n6cdp233opv03rtafre4t49po8@
4ax.com:

We're thinking of doing a week's snowboarding instruction at Easter.
About 400 euros for the week, full board including equipment hire,
lift pass and instruction is not to be sneezed at.

Is that a flaine.com deal??? Sound very good!

It's listed there, yes, under ski or snowboard "evolution".

"Formule tout compris (pension complète, hébergement en chambres de 4,
forfait remontées mécaniques, prêt du matériel, cours de ski ou de
snowboard, animation, assurance). "

395 Eu for the Easter week inc. snowboard instruction, or 160 for the
3-day weekend.

--
Ace (brucedotrogers a.t rochedotcom)
Old March 8th 04, 04:53 PM
J.B. Memascii

wrote:

Mr Ace,

As the resident Flaineaphile can you recommend any hotels (or
guesthouses, etc.) that might cater for a long weekend? Doesn't look
as though there are many according the the Flaine site (or are these
just the approved ones?).

There are precisely zero hotels or guesthouses offering weekend
accomodation in Flaine itself. The only accomodation I know of which
may sometimes be available for weekends is at the ucpa[1]
www.ucpa.fr
which is cheap, clean and basic, with youth-hostel style accomodation.
at the Front de Neige level.

I was looking at Les Carroz but wasn't sure if there would be a lack
of snow at that level towards the end of March. Also noticed I asked
more or less the same question almost exactly two years ago. As with
that occasion we've failed to get airmiles flights to Geneva so
Flaine's off again anyway. Flights for Turin instead so thinking of
Sestriere.

Cheers.
Iain.
Old March 8th 04, 06:51 PM
Ian Spare

J.B. Memascii wrote:

I was looking at Les Carroz but wasn't sure if there would be a lack
of snow at that level towards the end of March. Also noticed I asked

There's a lift going up and down, it's not a problem even if the snow's
not down to resort level. It's been to the Les Carroz level the last
couple of years in April IIRC though.

Ian
Old March 9th 04, 07:21 AM
Ace

On Mon, 08 Mar 2004 20:51:11 +0100, Ian Spare
wrote:

J.B. Memascii wrote:

I was looking at Les Carroz but wasn't sure if there would be a lack
of snow at that level towards the end of March. Also noticed I asked

There's a lift going up and down,

There's actually a new gondola now, which makes access even easier.

it's not a problem even if the snow's
not down to resort level. It's been to the Les Carroz level the last
couple of years in April IIRC though.

Certainly been OK down to the 1600 level, but not right down to the
village.

--
Ace (brucedotrogers a.t rochedotcom)
Old March 9th 04, 07:58 AM
Ian Spare

wrote:

J.B. Memascii wrote:

I was looking at Les Carroz but wasn't sure if there would be a lack
of snow at that level towards the end of March. Also noticed I asked

There's a lift going up and down,

There's actually a new gondola now, which makes access even easier.

New ? How new ? There's two lifts up from Les Carroz, an chair and a
bubble, which one is new ?

Old March 9th 04, 09:01 AM
Ace

wrote:

J.B. Memascii wrote:

I was looking at Les Carroz but wasn't sure if there would be a lack
of snow at that level towards the end of March. Also noticed I asked

There's a lift going up and down,

There's actually a new gondola now, which makes access even easier.

New ? How new ? There's two lifts up from Les Carroz, an chair and a
bubble, which one is new ?

Sorry, I misread it and was referring to the new one from Samoens.

--
Ace (brucedotrogers a.t rochedotcom)
Old March 9th 04, 09:56 AM
Ian Spare

wrote:

J.B. Memascii wrote:

I was looking at Les Carroz but wasn't sure if there would be a lack
of snow at that level towards the end of March. Also noticed I asked

There's a lift going up and down,

There's actually a new gondola now, which makes access even easier.

New ? How new ? There's two lifts up from Les Carroz, an chair and a
bubble, which one is new ?

Sorry, I misread it and was referring to the new one from Samoens.

I wondered that, I've still not been on it, the bus back from Sixt will
drop you there but I just ride the bus back to Morillon. I'm thinking
one lift is pretty much the same as another :-)

Ian