Binding adjustment

Old January 25th 06, 04:42 PM

Default Binding adjustment

When setting the DIN on binding is anyone setting the rear din on the
heel higher than the din on the toe piece?

Old January 25th 06, 04:54 PM

downhill wrote:

When setting the DIN on binding is anyone setting the rear din on the
heel higher than the din on the toe piece?

Yes, people do all sorts of wacky things. Why do you ask?

//Walt
Old January 25th 06, 04:55 PM

Walt wrote:

downhill wrote:

When setting the DIN on binding is anyone setting the rear din on the
heel higher than the din on the toe piece?

Yes, people do all sorts of wacky things. Why do you ask?

//Walt

Trying to gather information as to it being a logical item to do or just
a wacky guess. Why do you set it different?

Old January 25th 06, 08:35 PM

downhill wrote:
When setting the DIN on binding is anyone setting the rear din on the
heel higher than the din on the toe piece?

DIN is a number corresponding to a torque level; front and rear DIN
already correspond to different torque levels. The differing
requirements of front and rear release is already accommodated - there's
no need to screw with it. If you're releasing preferentially at the heel
(AND the DIN is properly set and bindings tested,) look to your
technique, not your release setting.
Old January 25th 06, 10:22 PM

lal_truckee wrote:

downhill wrote:

When setting the DIN on binding is anyone setting the rear din on the
heel higher than the din on the toe piece?

DIN is a number corresponding to a torque level; front and rear DIN
already correspond to different torque levels. The differing
requirements of front and rear release is already accommodated -
there's no need to screw with it. If you're releasing preferentially
at the heel (AND the DIN is properly set and bindings tested,) look to
your technique, not your release setting.

No one will test it at the setting I need. My techinique is getting
better which is why I popped out of the binding.It was suggested to me
that a solution to popping out of rear binding while in a GS turn and
hitting hard bumps followed by presuring the ski into a hole small
depression was to up the rear setting as the person suggesting it did
to his binding. The three racers following me lost their ski at the
same point on the course. Your answer is following the guideline of the
ski industry being governed by an insurance rate. But I was hoping for
some creative comments from the group here.

Old January 26th 06, 12:01 AM

downhill wrote:

When setting the DIN on binding is anyone setting the rear din on the
heel higher than the din on the toe piece?

Yes.

Old January 26th 06, 12:02 AM

downhill wrote:

Walt wrote:

downhill wrote:

When setting the DIN on binding is anyone setting the rear din on the
heel higher than the din on the toe piece?

Yes, people do all sorts of wacky things. Why do you ask?

//Walt

Trying to gather information as to it being a logical item to do or just
a wacky guess. Why do you set it different?

Because that's what the guy in the shop (who, unlike me, is a gen u wine
certified binding tech) said to do. Why, what are you basing _your_
settings on?

Old January 26th 06, 12:03 AM

downhill wrote:

... I was hoping for
some creative comments from the group here.

Careful what you wish for. I'm just sayin', yannow.

--
// Walt
//

Old January 26th 06, 12:10 AM

downhill wrote:

lal_truckee wrote:

downhill wrote:

When setting the DIN on binding is anyone setting the rear din on the
heel higher than the din on the toe piece?

DIN is a number corresponding to a torque level; front and rear DIN
already correspond to different torque levels. The differing
requirements of front and rear release is already accommodated -
there's no need to screw with it. If you're releasing preferentially
at the heel (AND the DIN is properly set and bindings tested,) look to
your technique, not your release setting.

No one will test it at the setting I need. My techinique is getting
better which is why I popped out of the binding.

What is the setting you need, what bindings are you using, and why won't
they test it?

It was suggested to me
that a solution to popping out of rear binding while in a GS turn and
hitting hard bumps followed by presuring the ski into a hole small
depression was to up the rear setting as the person suggesting it did
to his binding. The three racers following me lost their ski at the
same point on the course. Your answer is following the guideline of the
ski industry being governed by an insurance rate. But I was hoping for
some creative comments from the group here.

Well, people who are racing at a level considerably above Masters crank
their DINs way up...but they're playing by different rules altogether,
and they have access to factory people who _will_ test it.